• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: 2023 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Sorry to be an ageing hippy here, but I have only ever known Head In The Clouds as a hippy headshop in Norwich.
Been there many years, very well known by the young people of the east of angular.
So Mandy is opening a skunk cafe on the site of the dead mouse.
On a big wheel.

So with a name like "Head above the clouds", you would expect it to be a very large observation wheel, if it is indeed a wheel.

But then again you would expect an event like "late night riding" to be a late night event !!!

It would also make more sense for the park to install the wheel outside the park as a pay per ride offering. Oooh, now there's an idea , pay per ride . It could catch on

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Might it be beneficial to construct this alleged wheel in a spot in which it can be accessed by both paying park patrons, and promenade punters alike? Again, this idea might make too much sense for the current order.

Aren't Central Pier in the process of renewing (and enlarging) their own wheel? In which case, BPB's will have to offer some decent height in comparison. Let the wheel wars begin.

Video shows a trams pantograph getting caught and ripped off.

Standard practice back in the day, happens every so often.

Attraction Images is hinting that something is going to be happening to Grand National:

Many of the comments hint towards needing to get your last rides on it, suggesting that rumours are swirling of it being removed.

For what it’s worth, Attraction Images correctly reported that Valhalla was going to be closed before it was announced, so I think they’re a pretty reliable source.

PBE is also saying that there’s groundwork taking place around the site, and interestingly appears to agree with Attraction Images.

Grand National is listed, which means they likely cannot remove the structure (there are certain exemptions to this but I doubt they'd be made for this circumstance especially as I doubt it can be argued that it's beyond saving as they are operating it, so that's clearly not true) however a listing does not require them to operate it. They could just leave it SBNO which with Pleasure Beach's current position wouldn't completely surprise me but I'm not convinced that's something they'd want to do. I think if anything is actually happening it will be fairly minimal, maybe some new trains or something. I doubt there's a whole lot more that can be done with it.

But they have just spent a fortune on retracking the thing!
The ride won't be going anywhere.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Blackpool spend a fortune doing work on Mouse just before they removed it?

I’m not saying that I think this makes National’s removal likely, but I don’t think it having work done necessarily makes it immune.

Expired rodent trigger warning...
The Nash is listed, she is lumbered with maintaining it, so might as well run it as a national National institution.
Mandy ripped the dead rodent and Cyclone down on the sly to avoid fuss and listing.
Dippy would have been up on the Southport woodie like a rat up the Arena stage curtains if he had been around at the time

The thing is, listing doesn’t force them to operate it. They only have to keep it standing.

I agree, however, that it would be sad and thoroughly pointless for it to just stand SBNO unless the park literally couldn’t afford to operate it (which seems unlikely).

I am genuinely interested into how you have come to the conclusion that the ride having work done to it makes it immune @Matt N ? Are you seeing something we are not.

The ride is listed, it is a criminal offence to remove it. I doubt they can make a special case due to it having said work done and it being operational right now. Which means it is safe and not falling apart.

I am genuinely interested into how you have come to the conclusion that the ride having work done to it makes it immune @Matt N ? Are you seeing something we are not.

The ride is listed, it is a criminal offence to remove it. I doubt they can make a special case due to it having said work done and it being operational right now. Which means it is safe and not falling apart.
I was trying to imply the opposite; sorry if that wasn’t clear. What I meant was that having work done doesn’t necessarily mean that it can’t close.

The ride can’t be removed without a very good reason, but the listing doesn’t stop them from leaving it SBNO… I’d hope they don’t resort to that.

Do we know if the ride is still safe after another half a season of overheavy cars beating up the 90% of wood that wasn't replaced?
Lots of punters are still complaining.
They have spent loads, I love it now, but many punters still aren't happy.
They have the right to apply for removal or alteration.
They can keep asking, on economic grounds, as they have spent a bomb on upkeep already.

Or they could stick one great leg of the gigantic clown for the new big wheel on each side of the figure eight for the new wonder wheel...access between Valhalla and Derby Racer.
Sorted.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.