• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Busch Gardens Tampa: General Discussion

Sam

TS Member
Spotted by Martyn B on CF.

parkrumors.com said:
Plans Confirm Drop Tower for Busch Gardens Tampa in 2013
* UPDATE 5/7/2012 – New Trademark filing and domain registration for a potential name of the new drop tower, Desert Dive. Full story here: http://parkrumors.com/desert-dive-busch-gardens-2013/ *

————

Plans filed with the South West Florida Water Management District last week confirm the rumors that Busch Gardens Tampa will be adding a drop tower style attraction for the 2013 season. The plans filed are just for the preliminary ground work, so they don’t tell us much, but we can still pull a few bits of useful information out of them.

For starters, we can make a pretty educated guess about the ride’s manufacturer, which has been thought to be either Moser Rides, (BGW just worked with them on Mach Tower) or Intamin (BGT just worked with them on Cheetah Hunt). Looking at the tower’s footprint, we can see it has eight sets of four seats, for a total of 32 riders. Intamin appears to only offer drop towers that seat 24, 30, or 40 riders, while Moser Rides offers a Gravity Tower model that seats 32. This certainly doesn’t confirm Moser as the manufacturer, but it does make it seem much more likely.

Another interesting item to note is the new entry plaza into Timbuktu that Busch Gardens will be adding. Gone will be the canvas overhangs and outdoor market, creating a much more open, and likely incredible view of this new attraction.

Plans.jpg

PlansOverlay.jpg

PlansLabled.jpg

TowerCloseup.jpg

http://parkrumors.com/drop-tower-for-bgt-2013/

Re: Busch Gardens Tampa 2013: drop tower "Desert Dive"

A drop tower is the last ride I guessed Busch would have added to the park :eek: Is there anywhere that says how tall it will be?

These plans were leaked/revealed a while back now, and as I said at the time, if this is a Moser I will be shocked. They have made a complete mess of Mach Tower at BGW, from construction to present day. I can't see Busch wanting to use them again unless this is part of a 2 ride purchase deal.

:)

If it is Moser, I wouldn't think it part of a 'purchase' deal, rather perhaps a compensation deal?

That's the other possibility yes. I suppose it all depends on when BGT were planning the ride. BGT have tended to get the supposedly better quality ride over the years compared to BGW which is another reason why I think this may be Intamin.

*Wishes they were getting a Mystery Castle clone.*

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

More news from Tampa:

Screamscape said:
Rhino Rally Rehab / Expansion - Rumor - (9/17/12) Interesting developments are taking place at Busch Gardens it seems, regarding the future of Rhino Rally. Though it was never listed on the official attraction’s rehab page on the park’s website, Rhino Rally closed down and was walled off earlier this month. The attraction is now no longer listed anywhere on the Busch Gardens website, and they’ve even gone so far as to remove it from the online park map, as well as the newest maps in the park.
Previously we did have a long standing rumor that a “fix” or major upgrade was planned for Rhino Rally that would include new features to make it more exciting again, new storyline as well as a fleet of new trucks.
A reader upon seeing the walled off attraction did quiz a nearby crew member who stated that it was down for refurbishment and was supposed to reopen in late December. However when this same reader stopped into Guest Services on the way out to dig for more information, they were told an entirely different story. Guest Services told them that Rhino Rally was closed “indefinitely”, with the possibility that it MAY reopen for the busy Holiday season. So in Florida park speak… it almost seems like Rhino Rally may have been changes into a ‘Seasonal Only’ attraction… one that is only open during the most busy periods of the year… typically Spring Break, the most busy Summer weeks, and for the Christmas holiday run.

Rhino Rally has never been the same since they removed the best part of it for Cheetah Hunt. I hope they can at least add something to bump the excitement up on the ride again.

Screamscape said:
Late 2012 - Rhino Rally Rehab / Expansion - Rumor - (9/18/12) Busch Gardens Tampa has confirmed with Screamscape that Rhino Rally “is closed for extensive maintenance, including an enhancement of the animal habitats. It will reopen in time for the busy holiday season, though I don’t have an exact date yet.”

Now... didn't the actual 'drifting down the river' section actually close because of maintenance issues, and not because of Cheetah Hunt? I could have swore it was removed way before construction started!

It's a great attraction, and the ride hosts really make the experience. We had such a laugh with ours!

I can't envisage they could possibly use that space for anything other than a safari-jeep type attraction, just because of the interaction with the animals. I hope they manage to sort something!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

It was defiantly closed for Cheetah Hunt. It's quite easy [from POV as it was being built when I last visited] to spot where exactly the water section was and how Cheetah Hunt makes use of the space. They removed the water section in May of 2010 I believe to start the groundwork for the coaster.

Granted that Busch did confirm it was a bit of a maintenance nightmare and caused a lot of wear and tear to the ride vehicles after they removed it, many of the management team at Busch were sad to see it go and would have happily kept it running for a while longer.

...March 2010. I went in August 2010 :( gutted! Didn't realise it was closed so close to my visit. I guess I saw all the downtime reports and assumed that the section was removed on account of it not being viable! A great attraction though, even after the modifications.

Bad news for Gwazi's Tiger side:

had first heard about this back in September, but I thought I’d give it time to work itself out… but apparently this is not been the case. For whatever reason Gwazi Tiger is said to be closed indefinitely, and we know it has been closed since the end of the busy summer season. Only the Lion side is up and running, and the park is running both Lion and Tiger themed trains on the Lion side of the track.
What isn’t known is if Tiger is closed for a rehab of some kind (are they actually doing any work to it?) or did the park close it down for budget reasons after the summer was over? Anyone out there who can fill us in a bit more on what is going on with Gwazi? I know early in 2012 I did hear a rumor about possibly wanting to test out some Topper Track on Gwazi, but so far the reports seem to indicate that Tiger is just closed and no signs of a major overhaul.
While on the subject of lengthy rehabs… does anyone have an update on the status of Rhino Rally? The park reported to Screamscape earlier this year that it was undergoing a long term rehab and would be open for the 2012 Holiday Season. Just wondering if they are making any kind of progress here as well.
Also worth mentioning, the park has closed Sandstorm for it’s published rehab, and it does appear that behind the construction walls the ride is being taken apart. Previous permits filed by the park had shown their intention to move the ride to a new location over by Gwazi, freeing up the old location for the park’s rumored new drop tower ride.
Source.

I'm so glad I got a chance to ride both sides of this coaster over summer. It's really not a bad ride! I think I'm in a minority of people who enjoy the coaster. I'm guessing that one side is having some work done whilst the park isn't as busy?

I also hope that Rhino Rally is getting some sort of extension because the videos of the attraction from before they butchered it for Cheetah Hunt looked great.

I'm glad to hear that Sandstorm is getting some TLC whilst they take it across the park to its new home near Gwazi.

Oh dear!

Screamscape said:
2013 - Drop Tower / Desert Dive - Planning - (11/13/12) According to the latest rumors, the park’s plans to add a drop tower attraction may have been put on hold indefinitely, possibly due to the issues they’ve had with the drop tower in the Williamsburg park.

Screamscape said:
General Park News - (11/13/12) According to a Screamscape source, Gwazi Tiger was shut down primarily for budget purposes only. While Rhino Rally was supposed to be getting a long term Rehab, insiders say that they don’t know if much of anything has been done to it. There is also the issue of staffing, as all over the old Rally drivers were transferred to new positions out in the park. Since then a number of them have apparently quit, and according to a former Rally driver the park hasn’t said a thing to them yet about retraining to drive the course again, or if there are possible reopening dates.

Budget purposes? Doesn't sound good, doesn't sound good at all!

Budget purposes?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Fear not about the new ride problems:

2013 - Drop Tower / Desert Dive - Planning - (11/14/12) The latest rumor on the proposed Busch Gardens drop tower ride is that the company is looking into new alternative drop tower idea proposals from other manufacturers. If the rumors are true, they may be looking into a new design that once you reach the top of the tower, your seats could tilt forward positioning the riders into a face-down skydiving style pose.
As memory services, Intamin tried their hand at tilting seats several years ago mixed with a stand-up riding posture, but the few rides that opened only tilted riders out a scant 15º and offered the most uncomfortable drop tower ride experience of all time.
Back when Stan Checketts was running S&S Power, he told me he had been working on tilting seats also for their tower ride, and had actually made a set of prototype seats that would tilt 40º which I was allowed to test ride at their Logan, Utah HQ. He wasn’t done there however, he wanted to keep working on them until he could tilt them at least 60º. Unfortunately it seems that these ideas were never finalized. Stan did realize his vision for a fully tilting seat able to rotate riders into facing 90º straight down while they fell from the sky on the S&S Sky Sling ride, but unfortunately there are no more of these left.
So the question is… who could Busch be talking with now about their new drop tower plans? Maybe we’ll uncover some hints at this year’s IAAPA show.
From Screamscape.

Please let that bold bit be true! Please! :D

Oh my gosh. I don't think I'll be riding that if it comes to fruition! If I wanted to skydive, I'd volunteer to throw myself out of a plane :p!!

Better not let Intamin anywhere near that idea. Not unless you're planning on a "Euthanasia drop tower" in any case :p

I think they'll try their best to make a ride that won't cut people's feet off if it is them, so no need to worry! ;)

Latest bit of info from Screamscape:
2013 - Drop Tower / Desert Dive - Planning - (11/15/12) I’m hearing that tilting seats are simply but one of a few different options (aka: gimicks) Busch Gardens Tampa may be looking into in an effort to make their new tower ride concept stick out as something unique from the rest of the pack which is understandable. Of course if they want something really unique, I’d love to see some kind of launched drop tower ride experience where you load in the middle of the tower, that would start off by lowering you down into a dark pit (preferably filled with hungry crocodiles) before launching you up into the sky. I’m not sure how far down they can dig in Florida to make this happen, but it’s worth a shot in my opinion to make such a unique experience.
I’ve also got to update my note comment about S&S’ Tilting Seats. They did install them briefly onto the Volcanic Impact tower ride at Fantasy Island in the UK, but the tilting seats were removed sometime after the first year or so.

From Screamscape.

Screamscape said:
General Park News - (11/21/12) SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment has had some new activity on the Trademark database names lately: Taruka Rush, Falcon’s Fury. Both names are listed as being previously filed a few months back, but are also listed to be published for opposition in December, which I believe means that they are moving forward to get permission to use either or both of them.
I’m at a bit of a loss as to what Taruka Rush may be used for (waterslide maybe?), but Falcon’s Fury sounds like a much better name for that proposed drop tower at BGT than the previously registered Desert Dive name. Of course both names could also work as the new name for the Sandstorm if they are still planning on moving it over by Gwazi.

I'm not crazy about Falcon's Fury at all to be honest. :-\