• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Camp TST - 2013

Oli

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Tidehunter
Just a thought here, but would you guys be interested in a camping trip in Summer 2013...

If so:
• Where would you like it?
• What would you like to do?
• Any other suggestions

Personally, I view camping as a last resort / necessary evil. Not something I would choose to do.
However, Kelpie loves it, so she may be interested.

On the old site I went on a camping event once, it was horrific.

I slept in the car in the end, I shall never pay again to sleep on the floor.

I think the camping meets stopped because alot of people didn't really enjoy them that much, you can get a hotel for often not much more and they are much more convenient.

I'm assuming this is going to be a resounding "We don't want to go on your damn camping trip!"

Even Tipidorf is too crude for me. :p

If it was a proper "survival weekend", treking over moorland, eating only what you can kill with your bare hands etc, then I can see the appeal. But as Ben said, you can get a hotel for about the same kind of cash as a pitch on a campsite.

The last camping meet we did ended in creating a makeshift rain shelter out of a decorators sheet, Joel cremating sausages and his car getting covered in the contents of a glow stick. We bailed the second night thanks to torrential rain and kipped in a Travelodge.

Damn good fun though, and definitely something I'd love to do again :p

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I haven't been camping in a long time - it's something I'd love to do again! :)

Craig said:
The last camping meet we did ended in creating a makeshift rain shelter out of a decorators sheet, Joel cremating sausages and his car getting covered in the contents of a glow stick. We bailed the second night thanks to torrential rain and kipped in a Travelodge.

LOL! This is just a few of the many reasons why camping is evil.

DiogoJ42 said:
Personally, I view camping as a last resort / necessary evil. Not something I would choose to do.
However, Kelpie loves it, so she may be interested.

I love Guide camp :D Which isn't exactly the same as regular camping!
Very sorely tempted to take them all camping at Chessington WOA next year though ;)

Haven't exactly done much of the usual family/friends type otherwise. Incidentally, I can't think of any times it hasn't rained while camping at some stage or another.

And the bugs. Don't forget the bugs. Last time I camped, the space between the two layers of my tent was swarming with spiders. Getting in and out was a nightmare.
What about earwigs? I've only ever seen those when I'm camping.

And then there are the wasps...

When I last went camping in 2009, there were some wasps, but they weren't too much of a problem. The previous year, I was camping at the same place (the Royal Bath & West Showground in Somerset) at the far end of the showground, and there were probably 10,000 people on site that week. Where we were there was a portable toilet block that, through continued usage by thousands of people over the previous few weeks, was surrounded by several feet of mud, making it impossible to go pretty much anywhere without using wellies. That was possibly the worst experience I've had camping, and it was a relief to get home and put normal footwear on again! :p

In all seriousness, I've never known it any worse than that, and it didn't put me off camping at all.

I dont think camping is a bad idea with people who know what they are doing when it comes to camping. It becomes a lot more difficult when you have to do all your own stuff and help out other people that dont know what they are doing. especially if you are trying to put up a tent in the rain and wind, which is normally what it is doing when trying to get your erection up.

I have not been camping in while because Carla is too boring to try it but I have done it in the past. I was in the ATC for a few years and did some weekend camp type things. Having to make a big tent out of a parachute and some rope was good fun. also making a one person tent out of a poncho was ok. It turned out to be an ok night sleep.

If I am going to somewhere like the towers because of the rather long drive I have to do I would just spend the cash on a hotel rather than camping.

DiogoJ42 said:
Last time I camped, the space between the two layers of my tent was swarming with spiders.
Camping? No thanks. Not if those things are involved. Not happening ever. No.

The likelihood of me going camping again, even with TST who would be sure to make it a fun and pleasant time, is about as high as the ground of the Atlantic sea.

I think most campsites have banned fires :(
If we do this, I say we do it properly. No campsite, no civilisation, no toilet blocks. Just what we can carry on our backs in the true wilderness. No theme parks in the day time, just hiking and surviving. At least that way the challenge itself becomes fun.

Still, I'd much rather be in Colosseo.

Oli said:
I think if we do this... We need an open fire.
Re-iterating Diogo really, but most public campsites wont allow it.

Probably the only ones are Scout/Guide sites as we cook on alter fires.... and most have a campfire circle of some kind. Unless someone has a massive back garden we could camp in, ie. we'd be on private land with owners permission to build a fire.

i woiuld be up for this, a fire, a few BBQ's, lots of meat and lots for beer always makes for a wicked weekend IMO