• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Cedar Point - Goodbye Disaster Transport, Hello Gatekeeper

BigAl

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Forbidden Journey
Disaster_Transport_logo.gif

From Screamscape...

Park News - (7/16/12) Cedar Point has confirmed to park guests that Disaster Transport will close for good on July 29th and that the Space Spiral will also close to be removed sometime in early August to make way for a new attraction. This matches up to the information leaked out earlier this summer on an internal Cedar Fair memo which described the replacement attraction as a B&M Wing Coaster like the Wild Eagle (Dollywood) and X-Flight (Six Flags Great America) that opened this summer.

Source: http://www.screamscape.com/html/cedar_point.htm[/b]]http://www.screamscape.com/html/cedar_point.htm

Another article on the matter from Theme Park Tourist...

Cedar Point has confirmed that it will remove its Disaster Transport and Space Spiral rides this summer, as it prepares to install a new roller coaster for the 2013 season.

Screamscape reports that the park has informed guests that Disaster Transport will close permanently on July 29, with Space Spiral set to follow in early August. Work will then begin to prepare the site for the new coaster, which is expected to be a Bolliger & Mabillard Wing Rider model similar in style to X-Flight at Six Flags Great America.

The plans for the coaster, codenamed "CP Alt.Winged", were revealed in a leaked internal memo to the board of parent company Cedar Fair earlier this year. The ride will sit close to Cedar Point's entrance, and will extend out over one of its parking lots. It is expected to feature a 170-foot lift hill, and the longest track of any B&M Wing Rider model built to date.

One of the few remaining bobsled style roller coasters, Disaster Transport features trains that don't travel on a track, but instead roll along in a trough. The indoor ride originally featured cutting-edge space theming, but this has been all but retired.

The second ride to be removed to make way for the new coaster, Space Spiral, is a revolving observation deck that offers panoramic views across Cedar Point. A final date for its closure is yet to be confirmed.

Source: http://www.themeparktourist.com/news/20120716/10039/cedar-point-confirms-removal-disaster-transport-and-space-spiral[/b]]http://www.themeparktourist.com/news/20120716/10039/cedar-point-confirms-removal-disaster-transport-and-space-spiral

I don't know much about the ride, but it sounded fun. What does everyone else think about this?

Here are a few images of the ride. Some are from which are of the ride before it was turned into a dark ride:

DiasterTrans2.jpg

Disaster_Transport.jpg

cp1_665.jpg

disaster07.jpg

Re: Goodbye, Disaster Transport - Cedar Point

I have mixed feelings about the removal haven ridden ths a couple of times when I was there in 2011 (so dark coaster style only).

The concept of the ride kind of worked and didnt at the same time. In terms of actual ride I would place this bobsled coaster as no 2 in the 3 that I have ridden (Blackpool's Avalance being no 1 and EP's Bobbahn at number 3). A good feeling of pace and definate sidewards skidding in the back car. Fairly standard dark coaster theme with a few flashing lights and strobing lifthill and the obligatory silver astronut.

Unfortunately the darkness took away from the trackless concept as even if it was a tracked coaster you wouldnt see it. But I thought it was reasonable and fun. There are certainly worse out there.

As for themeing, if you count luminous polystyrene balls on springy wire as themeings with luminous paint splashes dotted around then great. But Cedar point dont really do themeing so I can forgive them not going all out on it. At least the queline was air conditioned which gave relief from the outdoors, but the loading station and lift hill were pretty unbearable.

From what I have read elsewhere I think the outside structure was becoming unstable with substantial leakage when it rained which I guess would possibly make the ride unpleasant if the leaks fell onto the track.

I am sure that what is slotting in the gap will be a much better coaster. just a shame they couldnt fit it where Cedar Creek mine ride and the truly awful Gemini are.

Shame about space spiral too, as I do like a good observation tower :)

Badgy

Cedar seem to be slowly but surely replacing every inch of that spur with rollercoasters. They will be back on level terms with SF:MM on coasters at 17 when they build this next one. Wonder how many they will have in 10-20 years?

They will still be one short. Starting with 17 they lost wildcat last year and now disaster transport making it a lowly 15. The new one will make 16.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Am I right in thinking Cedar Point will not have even one dark ride once Disaster Transport closes? :-\

Yep, zero, zilch, none.

I handnt realised that before.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

The Intamin Bobsled is a pretty fun ride - quite different to a Mack Bob. Equally, it's an indoor attraction which is in short supply at this park?

CP just seem to be closing old coasters like anyone's business at the moment. That's two family coasters gone in as many years?

I do hope that this coaster gets relocated, But I can't see it doing so due to its age :(

Never ridden a Bobsled coaster, But they do look like fun. I aim to ride Avalanche at Blackpool, Bobbhan at Efteling and Schweizer Bobbahn at Europa before I hit my mid 20's (Currently 16).

I'm quite shocked as Cedar Point are not one of them parks that remove old coasters, They could have removed something like Corkscrew or Blue Streak. But I guess they removed this for a reason.

R.I.P Disaster Transport

11th May 1985 - 29th July 2012 :(

Well there's some info online that states the land that Wildcat was on will be used for an expansion of their entertainment. Don't know if that announcement will be a more detailed explanation of their plans?

SANDUSKY — One of Cedar Point’s oldest rollercoasters is going to that big thrill ride boot hill in the sky.

Park officials announced today that the Wildcat rollercoaster will be dismantled to make way for expansion of the park’s new multi-sensory Celebration Plaza that will feature dancers, singers and musicians performing in costumes and fast-changing scenery.

According to the announcement, the Wildcat “was coming to the end of its useful life.”

The ride was installed in its current spot opposite the Iron Dragon ride in 1979, but that was its third stop within the park, according to Cedar Point public relations spokesman Bryan Edwards.

“As it was getting older, it becomes harder to find replacement parts, and maintenance costs were going up,” Edwards said.

That, coupled with low ridership, sealed the deal for the ride.

“Wildcat did about 400,000 rides last year, compared to some of our major rides that do well over a million,” Edwards said.

“To make an impactful statement, we decided to pull it out,” he added.

The area now occupied by the Wildcat will become part of the new Celebration Plaza, the park’s first outdoor theater in decades, according to Edwards.

“Its going to be unlike anything you’ve ever seen before at Cedar Point,” Edwards said.

The plaza will feature a stage eight feet off the ground with tiered scaffolding on which performers will sing and dance.

“At night we’ll also have a DJ come up out of the ground to play music after the show,” Edwards said.

The main stage area will be complemented by a number of mini-remote stages scattered throughout the same area.

Cedar Park will also debut the new live show “Luminosity, Powered by Pepsi” that will transform the park’s main midway into a dance club-style atmosphere with flames, lasers and more than a million lights.

source

But could it be something about the proposed 2013 B&M Wing Rider?

Cedar Point will debut a massive 170-foot-tall Bolliger & Mabillard wing coaster in 2013, at the expense of two older rides: Disaster Transport and Space Spiral. The coaster is expected to be located near the front gate of the park, and provide entering guests with quite a spectacle to watch as the winged trains fly overhead. It sounds like a very exciting addition to Cedar Point’s arsenal of coasters.

While two classic attractions will be removed from the park, the front entrance gate will be restructured and hopefully renovated:
“…Code-named “CP Alt.Winged,” the coaster will have the ‘longest drop, run the fastest and be the longest ride’ of its kind, Cedar Fair CEO Matt Ouimet wrote in Feb. 15 memo to Cedar Fair’s board of directors.

The total projected cost of the project is $25 million, a price that includes removing the park’s Space Spiral and Disaster Transport rides and restructuring the park entrance.”

The wing coaster will be a product of the great Bolliger & Mabillard team, which also designed the park’s Raptor and Mantis coasters:
“The Swiss-based Bolliger & Mabillard Consulting Engineers is set to design the new ride, which was described in the memo as having a ‘Front Gate Statement— a roller coaster that flies overhead, rolls and flies back— highly visible above guests entering the park.’”

The coaster will be considerably larger than current B&M wing coasters:
“Design plans show the new ride with a 170-foot tall lift that will fly overhead of park guests entering the park. It will have the longest track and longest ride time of any coaster of its style as it flies overhead, rolls and then fly back.

The huge roller coaster will dominate the front gate and the track will travel over a large parking area at the park.”

source

Or is it something completely different? I guess we'll find out in a few days time!

:)

That's a pretty epic entrance into the park! Loving the two giant pillars that the trains will pass through over the entrance area. That should provide quite a thrill! ;D

Edit: Just gave this a search and found some more pics on TPR...

GK2.png

GK3.png

GK4.png

cedarpointcoaster.jpg

Another image, courtesy of RollercoasterPro Facebook page:

622322_10150971937411965_1289009734_o.jpg

Shame the secret is out, and Cedar Point's big unveiling has failed :(!! Apparently some of the web pages were accidentally made public before being hidden again... there's no way enthusiasts would have kept this quiet :p.

Must get to CP when this is done! Loving the concept!!

And now is the point where I begin regretting our decision to ditch our 2013 trip to Cedar Point, for California. That looks absolutely brilliant, great to see another 'The Swarm style' drop.

AHHH I get it!

Gatekeeper... and it's over the gate to the park.... ha ha ha Gatekeeper...

I don't get why that amused me so...

Looks like a phenomenal layout, although those elements over the entrance look brilliant, I wish it would have more near misses, But I suppose it's one of those American parks where layout>theming.

It's an awesome layout though!

Fredward said:
AHHH I get it!

Gatekeeper... and it's over the gate to the park.... ha ha ha Gatekeeper...

I don't get why that amused me so...

Either that or a REALLY clever nod to the original Ghostbusters film...

I doubt the eagle head is anything to do with Ghostbusters ;)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Gatekeeper is one of the worst names for a ride, ever. :p

Looks great, certainly the best Wingrider so far. Forms a really nice, impressive entrance to the park. Shame it's clearly going to be completely unthemed, though that is the Cedar Point way. :)

It looks really impressive (name not included) and it looks to be a little bit more intense than The Swarm with that layout!