• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Channel 4 2018 Alton Towers Documentary

BarryZola

TS Member
So, the word is now out that Channel 4 have been doing research and have started filming for a new documentary based on Alton Towers and the new Wicker Man rollercoaster.

I'm not sure exactly at this point what angle they will be going for overall, but a documentary on Towers is probably long overdue since at least one classic of the 1990s.

I feel that a new thread is probably appropriate to keep the discussion in one place going forward to keep things tidy, and maybe we can share some old links to other doc's.

So far, I've heard that it's based on the Wicker Man, but also have reason to believe that a wider history may be in order to some extent. Interesting.

I'm sure we would all be interested to know of any more info in the future :)

I've heard word on the grapevine that this is happening, but no details so far. I wonder how often they will mention The Smiler....?

Probably very often. I was asked if footage from my channel could be used. I said that basically it could be used as it is (that's absolutely fine if they want it), but if full quality or without the website tag scrawled across the screen, they may have to provide adequate remuneration. I have offered free discussion about the gardens though, but I doubt they will be too interested in that.

Probably very often. I was asked if footage from my channel could be used. I said that basically it could be used as it is (that's absolutely fine if they want it), but if full quality or without the website tag scrawled across the screen, they may have to provide adequate remuneration. I have offered free discussion about the gardens though, but I doubt they will be too interested in that.

What is your channel out of interest?

They were filming on Saturday - which no doubt added to the stress when Wicker Man kept going down.

I'm very much looking forward to this, hopefully it comes across as a good promotion for the park and Wicker Man! I believe that they have been filming for a while so it should be an insightful watch.

:)

I had friends who had to sign a disclaimer after they were interviewed for sound bites after riding WM.

personally I tried to get in to plenty of background shots as they were filming, so now thats hours of footage they cant use :D:D

As someone whos profession is in documentary i would be intrested to know what production company c4 have commissioned for this. If anyone knows or has signed the release forms it should say on there. (Required by law if you respond to a given question, not if you freely approach the camera). Once we know the production company we might be able to find out more. What setup did the crew have? Ie was it a director, soundman, skivvie and cameraman or bigger or smaller?

this
cnnVZxd.jpg

What I’m personally hoping for from this is like a 2018 version of The Magic Factory, except following Wicker Man’s construction instead of Oblivion’s. When should we look for this to be on, out of interest?

How long is a piece of string? Id expect if its the construction and its the films last piece of jeapody (its what documentary filmakers want) then it could be wrapping up shortly. They are hardly going to start the doco with it opening unless it was a year in the life kind of thing? Id say as its c4 and that production company its low budget and not arty so if its been half / v1 edited as its been made (they know what they need for the final offline edit).

So maybe weeks, but id expect may/june for this type if its wrapping up now.

Alton would need this out asap so to capitalise on the free advertising it'll bring, I wouldn't mind betting you see this before the May bank holiday under the title "rebuilding a legend" or something similar charting the time from Smiler up to WM opening.

They'll have full edititorial control, so they'll be no mention of the teething trouble, or maybe a throw away comment about it.

Will probably be a good watch though, even if 85% is fiction.

Alton would need this out asap so to capitalise on the free advertising it'll bring, I wouldn't mind betting you see this before the May bank holiday under the title "rebuilding a legend" or something similar charting the time from Smiler up to WM opening.

They'll have full edititorial control, so they'll be no mention of the teething trouble, or maybe a throw away comment about it.

Will probably be a good watch though, even if 85% is fiction.

I doubht they will have full editorial control as that would constitute as an advert or paid for advertising. Lines and rules can be made when they agree for the filming (along with duration and access rights) but they would never be given total editorial control.