Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Discussion in 'European Parks and Attractions' started by Anonymous, 12th Jun 2012.

1. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

What the...!!?

Nerdsticks, MaxPower and Swarm Chris like this.
  2. siralgenon

siralgenon TowersStreet Member

When I read about them I presumed they'd be in the ride scenes or in areas set back from the queue lines...

Swarm Chris likes this.
  3. Themeparksandy1981

Themeparksandy1981 TowersStreet Member

I wonder if his even got a mask on? The parents ain’t even that bothered.

Swarm Chris likes this.
  4. Hairobics

Hairobics TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Professor Burp's Bubbleworks
    At Chessington right now — what the bloody hell has happened to Tomb blaster lol. I heard about the revamp but it just seems sort of... broken...

MaxPower, Swarm Chris and ringo like this.
  5. ringo

ringo TowersStreet Member

Yep that’s the “new version” and you nailed it with the broken description :D

MaxPower likes this.
  6. Hairobics

Favourite Ride:
    Jesus lol. I was hoping someone would tell me that it is broken. Why is everything so dark? It’s maddening! Somehow it’s more confusing than before! Bring back Terror Tomb!

ringo, RicketyCricket and MaxPower like this.
  7. John

John TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    I prefer the dark version than the "did they leave the maintenance lights on?" version we had before. It's much more atmospheric, even with fewer effects.

The biggest problem with the ride now is the extraordinarily long dispatch interval resulting in dreadful throughput.

Burbs likes this.
  8. Hairobics

Favourite Ride:
    I felt like I was passing a lot of things that never lit up. The story felt a bit disjointed, and the music seems very lacking, leaving odd pauses whilst the animatronics cackled. Very odd.
    Still, the rides coming alive is a nice touch and reminds me of the park in the 90’s.

dickie001x likes this.
  9. OilyWater

OilyWater TowersStreet Member

The current version still isn't as dark as the original Tomb Blaster was or Terror Tomb was, it still has light shining straight at roofs when I did it start of season. In general it was lit tacky but obviously better than the 2016 lighting, which was just unacceptable

The "story" adds absolutely nothing and the ride is still extremely boring, now with added confusion and a terrible voiceover. The music didnt sound bad on its own, but there was nothing memorable about it unlike the original Tomb Blaster theme

I remember when Tomb Blaster was new in 2002 and it was much more fun than it is today. But the ride has long been a mess and this "new" version is a plaster over a bigger problem

Last edited: 20th Oct 2020
    D4n likes this.
  10. Hairobics

Favourite Ride:
    Just watched a POV of the revamp and it looks very different to my experience today — That nice blue glow wasn’t present at all.

The ride was shut for a chunk of the day, so I can only assume they were having issues — all is forgiven.

P.S Just watched the POV again. It looks bloody beautiful. The experience is night and day. Defo just a bad run today.

11. OilyWater

OilyWater TowersStreet Member

I visited the week the revamp opened and it looked absolutely awful. Tacky scare maze style lighting and bits of set broken, audio missing or sounding really bad. You can never trust how a dark ride looks from a video these days for all sorts of reasons, how the camera picks up LED light especially

And if things really had declined that much in the space of a few months then something’s badly wrong anyway!

ringo likes this.
  12. Hairobics

Favourite Ride:
    The Tomb’s days are definitely numbered.

13. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

How big is the Tomb Blaster building? Some form of family indoor coaster could work well? Probably launched due to height issues?

Perhaps something in the middle of Dragon coaster at Legoland and Mummy at Universal.

Solves the planning issues and gives them the new coaster than haven’t had since 2004!

jon81uk and Connor98 like this.
  14. Connor98

Connor98 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Hyperion
    I for one would love to see more dark attractions and indoor coasters in the UK. it’s surprising we don’t have more with our weather and the ability to run them 365 days is surely another bonus.

jon81uk likes this.
  15. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

Yep I find it strange how many people complain about the removal of the log flume (at AT) but don't push to see more indoor rides suited to the British weather. Chessington could do with a TombBlaster replacement and another new dark ride as well.

Connor98 likes this.
  16. Burbs

Burbs TowersStreet Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Untamed, Walibi Holland
    Assuming that the entirety of the highlighted area is the Tomb Blaster show building (I think it is), the surface area would be around 1770m².

TB 1.png

For comparison, here's some indoor roller coasters and their building's footprint.

Revenge of the Mummy (Universal Orlando) ~5921m²
    Temple of the Nighthawk (Phantasialand): ~5824m²
    Walking Dead (Thorpe Park): ~2494m²
    Revolution (Bobbejaanland): ~2393m²
    CanCan Coaster (Europa-Park): ~1523m²

So Tomb blaster's building could possibly fit a small-medium sized family coaster inside it, though the dimensions and physical shape of the building I imagine would make it problematic. The other rides I mentioned are in much more circular/square-like, and they also have more height.

AT86, Swarm Chris and Funcone like this.
  17. Funcone

Funcone TowersStreet Member

I can see Chessington replacing Tomb Blaster with a whacky worm themed to the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

MattyH, WillPS, pluk and 2 others like this.
  18. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

that would be Thorpe Park.
    Chessington would theme it to the very hungry caterpiller.

(actually that would actually be an good ride concept, go through all the food he eats and then it ends with a faster rollercoaster segment with lots of lighting effects as you transform into a colourful butterfly).

Buster11, Funcone and pluk like this.
  19. Connor98

Favourite Ride:
    Hyperion
    I guess the issue with height almost makes it a no go for a family thrill coaster, but maybe it would still be possible for and indoor dark section that tells the storyline with the majority of the layout popping out and around the building. I’d also love to see a move away from the dark themes that merlin bash out with their coasters, Chessington would be the perfect example to try something more upbeat and a real throwback to the bubbleworks even. I think we’ve had enough burning alive, optical procedures or Horror IP’s for now .

jon81uk likes this.
  20. Connor98

Favourite Ride:
    Hyperion
    Knowing Merlin This seems more realistic than my suggestion:tearsofjoy:

Funcone likes this.