• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Christmas Trip - Dec 2022

AT86

TS Member
Not long back from a trip to Europa Park, first time in 3 years so it was a welcome return! We did 3 nights in Bell Rock with one day in Rulantica and 2 in the theme park. Just thought I would share some of my ramblings with you lot.

Highs

Starting with the most important, the FOOD! Always a priority for any holiday of course, we didn’t have a bad meal the whole trip (although more on the service later). We ate at various locations and everything was tasty, even the bog standard burger meal from the place in England was nice enough. Also ate at the pizza place in Colosseo, have to say that sitting there in a relaxed nicely themed restaurant with live music from a guy on guitar with great pizza for €15 certainly puts Alton Towers dining experiences into perspective (i.e they’re crap).

Even the bolognese pasta in Rulantica was really good, served on proper plates with actual knives and forks all in a waterpark, good stuff!

However the food highlight has to be the Harborside buffet. Didn’t know what to expect going in, and it was a little on the spendy side at €40pp - but the food was amazing.The steak was melt in the mouth - couldn’t believe the quality of everything, had to virtually roll my self out afterwards. Totally recommend that one.

Hotel Bell Rock in general is just great, we stayed before but I forgot how much I like it, again it’s not cheap - but totally worth the money, just a top quality place all round.

Ride availability was very impressive. Across the two theme park days it didn’t get above 0 degrees at all, having seen that forecast going in I had mentally written off Blue Fire, Wodan and likely Silver Star, but I should never have doubted them. Blue Fire and Wodan opened late afternoon both days and Silver Star was open pretty much all day. Brilliant stuff.

Pirates - I had avoided as much as possible in terms of spoilers for this and certainly hadn’t seen any POVs. I love a well themed boat ride anyhow, they are kind of a theme park staple to me and this was fantastic. So much to see, did it 3 times and I am sure I have only scratched the surface. Was really impressed with the use of projections etc, it shows how well you can mix real and screen effects if done properly. Looking forward to many re-rides on future visits.

Crowds - they were super low. We only tend to go in quiet times anyway, but this was quiet even for us. I guess the temperature put people off? You can’t blame people, it was bloomin’ cold at around -4 most of the day. Of course this meant low queues and lots of rides/shows etc. Longest wait was 15mins for Silver Star and we managed well over 30 rides across the two days without really trying.

Speaking of shows, quick mention to the Ice Show. Always brings back classic Alton Towers 90s memories for me this. Especially as this one featured Ed and Edda - absolutely reminded me of the Henry Hound Ice Shows of the past. Was really Christmassy too, would have gone back to watch it again but timings didn’t work out sadly.

There were loads of other highs of course but I am not going to list them all and bore you to death, but the overall Christmas atmosphere was great and it was good to be back after everything in the last few years.

Lows

There weren’t many lows, but some bits here and there.

Weather was one, although of course there isn’t much EP could do about that. But being out all day in -4 it was COLD!

The main difference we noticed between this trip and previous ones was the reduction in the number of staff who spoke another language other than German. Now before you all come for me, I know full well when you visit a theme park in Germany the staff have every right to speak German, and I am not expecting everyone to speak English by any stretch, but simply comparing to previous trips it did seem more difficult to communicate this time around.

Whether we were just unlucky I don’t know, but between us we speak fluent English and French and have never encountered any barriers before - there has always been a member of staff who could help in either one of those languages. This time around not so much, we also got looked at like we had three heads when asking if someone spoke French or English a couple of times, which was a little awkward. Especially since they are so close to France with a lot of French guests - it wouldn’t be that much of an uncommon question would it? It seemed to be more prevalent in food and beverage locations than anywhere else. Again perhaps we were just unlucky, but it did make it a little more stressful at times.

The only disappointment really was the Christmas market, or general lack of one. There were only a small amount of stalls and not much to choose from, it’s a shame really as it would really add to the event if they expanded this.

Finally not really a ‘low’ more an observation, but anyone know why there are two ‘versions’ of Ed? I get that he has been modernised, but you would think they would make the changes across the park all at once to avoid him looking different depending on where you see him. In the Ice show for example it was the ‘old’ Ed, and in the parade the ‘new’ one. Seems a little sloppy from the normal attention to detail that is displayed at Europa.

Anyway if you are still reading then thanks, you have a better attention span than me. I’ll leave you with some photos, although you all know what the place looks like by now. Including the final one from Bell Rock where the park have seemingly attempted to re-write American presidential history. I mean, I not against it, it just made me smile :)

Thanks for reading and Merry Christmas!

0EBE9C28-8DF8-4BEE-B4D3-22B796B25067.jpeg

28043FFE-CD87-4347-A537-4504059B415A.jpeg
1B894AA3-EFCA-4539-89F1-FD676D03A4B0.jpeg

0573338D-8291-4957-AC32-60639DDBADDB.jpeg
1979C075-031E-4C63-A742-DF508122FF4C.jpeg
34ABA2C1-1DC9-41A8-A468-C4052A95F511.jpeg

Last edited:
Great little report. I totally get the Ed thing. I love the mascot, but it's so ridiculous having two different hEds. I wish they would just adopt one, preferably the older version of the current two.

RE: Staff - the fact is EP is short-staffed generally at the moment. It is why some bars are closed on some days, it's why the park didn't extend as late over peak summer/Halloween as it would have in the past... hopefully these issues can be resolved... because the place is certainly not lacking in popularity.

Love that Trump is missing.

:)

Great report, I finally made my first trip to Europa in 2019 and had a fantastic time and had booked harbour side for the last night and agree the food was great and really enjoyed it, I liked bar spirit of st Louis. Visiting for a second time next Summer and Booked Hotel Bellrock for 5 nights in August (stayed at the newly open Kronasar last time. Visiting as part of Europe trip inc a couple of cities, Walibi Belgium, a couple of days at Efteling and Phantasialand (staying onsite at both) before Europa, really can't wait to get back to europa and first time visits to Walibi Belgium, Efteling and Phantasialand. Would love to do the Christmas event at some point although tied to school holidays but will try and fit in at some point in the next couple of years.

Great report, I finally made my first trip to Europa in 2019 and had a fantastic time and had booked harbour side for the last night and agree the food was great and really enjoyed it, I liked bar spirit of st Louis. Visiting for a second time next Summer and Booked Hotel Bellrock for 5 nights in August (stayed at the newly open Kronasar last time. Visiting as part of Europe trip inc a couple of cities, Walibi Belgium, a couple of days at Efteling and Phantasialand (staying onsite at both) before Europa, really can't wait to get back to europa and first time visits to Walibi Belgium, Efteling and Phantasialand. Would love to do the Christmas event at some point although tied to school holidays but will try and fit in at some point in the next couple of years.

Christmas season is brilliant, definitely try and arrange a visit if you can.

Having said that we have now done the last two trips at Christmas so I think a summer season visit appeals, probably for when the new coaster is open. Being able to sit out for a drink etc out the back of Bell Rock would be nice, and having a go on the water rides in the park, both of which were not options in minus temperatures this time around!