• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Cigarettes sold in Towers Trading

LordOfDarkness

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
Is it only me this really annoys?

I find it poor that Alton Towers which is supposed to be a family resort is openly selling Cigarettes in its main shop.

I have nothing against smokers but I just don't see how this really fits in with the family ethos.

I personally don't see anything wrong with this. To me it's about the same as selling alcoholic drinks on the park.

LordOfDarkness said:

I find it poor that Alton Towers which is supposed to be a family resort is openly selling Cigarettes in its main shop.

I have nothing against smokers but I just don't see how this really fits in with the family ethos.

As much as cigarettes aren't part of the resorts family ethos, it's not like people are smoking them anywhere.

Smoking is kept to designated areas.

:)

It's a LONG way from Alton to somewhere else to buy cigarettes, and (speaking as a smoker), you really don't need that hassle if you run out on park, or drop them/get them wet on a ride etc. Alton's smoking policy's been discussed to death in other topics, and the compromise they've come to sorts everyone quite well, whilst not alienating the not inconsiderable demographic of their visitors who enjoy a cigarette - a blanket ban would be difficult to enforce and widely unpopular. The cynic in me is going to add that they're VERY overpriced on park as well, so it's another way for the park to make a few easy quid!

As for the 'family ethos' argument - by nature, families are going to contain adults - that's why alcohol's available on park.

AstroDan said:
LordOfDarkness said:

As much as cigarettes aren't part of the resorts family ethos, it's not like people are smoking them anywhere.

It's not actually enforced by staff though in my experience - whilst I know it is difficult to approach people like that it should be standard practice. I don't have any issues with the sale of cigarettes though.

I actually think that the smoking areas are enforced fairly well by AT staff. I was on park recently with a friend of a friend who was asked to move after lighting up in a non-smoking area. However, queue lines seem to be an exception to this, which should really be addressed IMO.

Having visited Oakwood at the weekend, people seemed to be smoking wherever they felt like it. I walked through clouds of smoke on several occasions. Although not perfect, Towers seem to be doing fairly well at keeping smoke away from non-smokers.

I'm a non-smoker but I think Alton Towers gets the mix just about right. The cigarettes sold are ridiculously expensive (and you don't get MAP discount from what I hear).

Compare and contrast to Legoland which (although it is a kids park) put smokers in a "pen" which may as well have barb wire on it. The irony is the last time we went to Legoland a single parent had to take their kids into the pen because they couldn't leave them where they couldn't see them.

It might not seem 'family friendly' but people smoke. End of. If Towers can get away with selling them with a massive mark-up then fair enough.

You could equally argue that they shouldn't sell alcohol for the same reasoning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

tumblr_m7dwv6PH7N1qaa34so1_500.jpg

::)

Efteling don't sell cigarettes, dispite letting people smoke everywhere including in queues. This ruined my New Year's Eve.

There's nothing wrong with selling cigarettes in towers trading

Who smokes outside the designated area anyway

As long as the cigarettes are sold in a responsible manner, for a family park I don't see a problem.
I am a smoker and been into towers trading many times. however I have not see Cigarettes for sale. So they are not prominently positioned.

anyway, lets put it a different way.

I am a non drinker of alcohol.

I find it poor that Alton Towers which is supposed to be a family resort is openly selling Alcohol in its food outlets.

I have nothing against alcohol drinkers but I just don't see how this really fits in with the family ethos.

There is a lot of anti smoking campaigns, but not one smoke responsibly campaign. however they is drink aware and drink responsibly campaigns.

So I do wonder why smoking is looked down on as horrid and dirty, where drinking alcohol and it major anti socal problems (frighting etc) is not look down on as horrid.

It's just as bad as alcohol and condoms being sold. It's an non-issue.

Now if there were staff on Towers Street approaching adults and saying "DO YOU WANT TO BUY SOME FAGS FOR £5 GUYS" then yeah, we have a problem.

James said:
It's just as bad as alcohol and condoms being sold. It's an non-issue.

Now if there were staff on Towers Street approaching adults and saying "DO YOU WANT TO BUY SOME FAGS FOR £5 GUYS" then yeah, we have a problem.
Not to mention that it could be construed as tobacco advertising, which has been banned in full in this country since the end of July 2005!

20 L&B were £2.99 when I started puffing lmao.

I'd echo most other, I don't see a problem and as a smoker if you run out on park and theres nowhere selling cigs it's going to really mif you off.

They used to be sold in other places on park also, The Slush/Sweet shop next to Rita used to sell them, don't know if this is still the case.

:) :)

AstroDan said:
LordOfDarkness said:

I beg to differ, there is always people smoking outside of the designated areas. My fiance smokes and always goes to where he is supposed to. Just ignorant chavs that chose to smoke where they like! No one will tell them thats the thing!
As for selling themI guess they are making money off it so its no different to all the other things they sell in that shop that isn't towers related!

To be honest, so long as people aren't recklessly smoking and endangering the lives of others by having a cigarette in an open space, I don't see a problem.

AshleeKel said:
To be honest, so long as people aren't recklessly smoking and endangering the lives of others by having a cigarette in an open space, I don't see a problem.

The problem is that you are told to only use designated areas and people blatently ingore this rule. If they didn't have this rule then fair enough, but the fact is they do and its marketed all over the park. It makes people who do actually obide by this simple ruling feel annoyed that others do not.

Noonie99 said:
AshleeKel said:

The problem is that you are told to only use designated areas and people blatently ingore this rule. If they didn't have this rule then fair enough, but the fact is they do and its marketed all over the park. It makes people who do actually obide by this simple ruling feel annoyed that others do not.

To the average once a year guest I don't think it is particularly clear that you can only smoke in a designated area. The only place to find the information is the small bit of text on the park map. I think guests just assume the same rules apply in the park as the real world. Which is fair enough.

I think it would be more sensible just to ban smoking in queue lines. It is easier to enforce and signpost. I might be in the minority but smoking elsewhere doesn't bother me - it is an open space like every other street or park in the UK.