• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Closest coasters to a “Jack of all trades”?

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. I was just watching a POV of VelociCoaster at Islands of Adventure, and I was thinking to myself; it might genuinely be one of the world’s most varied roller coasters in terms of the sensations on offer. And that got me thinking; what are some of the closest coasters out there to a genuine “Jack of all trades”, a ride that offers a little bit of everything? A ride that as opposed to the one-course meal of one type of sensation that many roller coasters offer, offers the rider an all-you-can-eat buffet of many different types of sensation?

As the opening paragraph implies, my first nominee for this category is VelociCoaster at Islands of Adventure. And that’s because I think it genuinely looks to have a bit of everything; there looks to be quite a bit of airtime, but also some nice inversions and sections of positive g-force. It looks to have plenty of rapid transitions and more aggressive sections, but also quite a bit of nice, floaty hangtime. Even though it’s a thrill coaster, I also think it makes an excellent stab at the thematic side of things; the pre-show, queue and futuristic station look brilliant, while the first half looks phenomenal with all of the near misses, rockwork and raptors! I reckon that regardless of what you like in a roller coaster, everyone will find something to like in VelociCoaster, and I think that’s a genuinely remarkable feat, personally.

I also reckon that Helix at Liseberg would be a solid ride to nominate for this category. Even though on the face of it, Helix looks very inversion-orientated, a watch of the POV suggests that it also has a fair few sustained airtime moments, and in spite of the fact it mostly looks heavily hangtime-orientated at first glance, there’s a fair few spots of force and rapid transitions. It really does look to dabble in a number of different types of sensation, and it packs a hell of a lot in; at least it looks to from a POV, anyway!

But what coasters do you think fulfill the description of “Jack of all trades”?

Of the coasters I've ridden, Lech Coaster feels to me like the one that does a lot of different things very effectively in it's relatively short layout.

Intense turns, inversions, air time, near miss elements all packed into the layout.

A beautiful setting and reasonable theming to round off the experience.

I think Maverick kind of pioneered this type of coaster - it has inversions, airtime, rapid turns, a beyond vertical drop and a launch midway through the layout. Very unique when it was built.

Maverick is jack of all trades - master of all trades. It's my #2 coaster.

But only one rollercoaster is every rollercoaster you ever dreamed of all rolled into one. It's the ultimate rollercoaster.

Th13teen.

Steel Vengeance is complete perfection. Can't see it being beaten for a long, long time. This is mainly due to the sheer length of the ride, it goes on forever with absolutely zero dead spots.

I'm not it's biggest fan but completely agree on Helix being a contender too.

Maverick is a good shout, also Full Throttle, although quite a short ride it has a lot going for it in terms of 'sensations', for want of a better phrase.

Also, not a coaster, Journey to the Center of the Earth at DisneySea is a great overall package in terms of theme, thrills, effects and general madness.

Paris's Space Mountain:
Launch
Inversions
Near Misses
2 Part Coaster (which seems to be an odd trend)
Synced Music
Theming
Story
Lighting package

The only thing it is really missing is airtime oh and the fact its very average

Maverick is definitely the coaster for me that ticks almost every box and everything it does it does superbly no question.