• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coasters you really like that aren’t particularly intense

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. Many enthusiasts often rate coasters highly based on them being intense rides; from what I can gather, many of the world’s most commonly highly rated coasters are very intense rides that put you through your paces and barely leave you with a second to breathe. But what about those coasters that aren’t especially intense? Those rides that you might really like in spite of them not packing overly strong g-forces? We don’t often talk about coasters that just provide pure fun; intensity often wins out in the eyes of enthusiasts.

So my question to you today is; what are some of the rides you’ve done that aren’t particularly intense, but you rate highly? What are your favourite coasters that you wouldn’t say are particularly intense?

In terms of my own answer, I’m actually somewhat different to most enthusiasts in that I think pure intensity does not make a highly rated ride for me. In fact, I actually think that too much intensity can take away from a ride for me. I rate coasters based on fun and rerideability, so my answer to this question equates strongly to my top 10.

If I talk about my top 3, for instance (Mako at SeaWorld Orlando, Icon at Blackpool Pleasure Beach and Wicker Man at Alton Towers), I would not say that any of them are overly intense rides. Don’t get me wrong, they pack a punch when I’m on them, I get a huge kick out of riding them, and they have some of the most excellent airtime I’ve yet experienced (Mako and Icon in particular have some absolutely phenomenal moments of airtime; Mako still has some of the strongest sustained air I’ve ever experienced, from memory!), but none of the 3 are hugely intense g-machines by any means. However, all 3 are enormously fun rides, all 3 put a huge grin on my face after riding, and all 3 give me an instantaneous urge to run straight back round for another go, and that’s why they rank so highly for me!

But what are some of your favourite coasters that aren’t especially intense? Do you think that intensity is an important element of a coaster, or do you agree with me in thinking that fun and rerideability are more important?

Can I say RMT? Or does it rule itself of contention by being powered and not a true coaster?

Objectively it probably isn't the best of its kind but I've always really enjoyed riding it - it has a really fun layout and whips you around some of those corners surprisingly quickly, the interaction with CRR (when it's running!), the theming (even the random bits of rusty metal around the queue path!), the silly 'Choo Choo!' (Oh yeah!) from the ride operator when the train sets off. And Katanga Canyon is one of my favourite areas of the park for nostalgic reasons. It's silly really, but I'd be devastated if they got rid of it.