• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Cornwall's Crealy Great Adventure Park

bluesonichd

TS Member
Alton Towers founder John Broome intends to turn a Cornwall theme park into a "premier European resort".
So are we gonna get something to rival Alton Towers at last :)

It has been confirmed Mr Broome has bought Cornwall's Crealy Great Adventure Park, near Wadebridge, and nearly 200 acres of adjoining farmland.
The Camel Creek Resort project includes up to 236 holiday villas, courtyard properties, tree houses, a pool, spa, restaurant, pub and convention centre.
The plans are due to go before Cornwall Council next month.
A spokesperson for Mr Broome, John Williams, said the development would see the current theme park updated but it would not resemble Alton Towers and there would be no large new rides.
He said it would create at least 950 new full-time jobs and construction could start in the new year.
BBC NEWS
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-guernsey-34131496

Last edited:
Seeing as it says it will not resemble Alton Towers and there will be no large new rides then no, it won't come close to rivaling Alton Towers. From the small bits and bobs I have seen it appears to be more of a holiday resort than a theme park resort and is of very little interest.

:)

Reactions: Sam
If its not trying to rival The Towers I'm sure it will take advantage of the Cornish scenery and as well keep the animals mentioned in there which The Towers do not have. Exciting stuff, just the accessibility for the area is really awkward for it to become 'a premier european attraction' just like that.

According to the Exeter Echo, the owners weren’t looking to sell, but John Broome approached them with an attractive offer.

The sale of Cornwall's Crealy will mean that we can concentrate our efforts and investments at our multi award winning Devon's Crealy Great Adventure Park and its adjoining luxury caravan and camping park Crealy Meadows.
http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co....rnish-sister/story-27723638-detail/story.html

Devon’s Crealy had a big season this year with a new entrance and a new spinning coaster. If the money from the sale goes back into their original park, then they too could have some interesting times ahead.

As for these new plans, I’ll reserve judgement, but it doesn’t sound massively exciting from a coaster enthusiast’s perspective. It sounds like the previous owners did a reasonable job with it, so I hope they don’t lose the momentum.

This is surprising news, mainly because I'd assumed that John Broome was either dead or long-retired. As far as I know, there's been pretty much no news about him since the nineties. But then again, it's not like I've been paying close attention.

Unfortunately, I do see Broome as a bit of a one-hit-wonder. His projects other than Alton never really got off the ground, usually running into money problems or crumbling under the weight of ambition. From reading the articles above, I have to say that this project has all the hallmarks of another project like Trentham or Battersea. They too started with a fanfare of press coverage, using phrases like "premier European resort" and "unique in the United Kingdom".

Still, I hope I am wrong and I wish this project all the best.

I'm glad I'm not the only one surprised he's still alive. :p

I'm also surprised by how young he is too. I assumed he would be well into his eighties by now but in fact it says he's only 72. Therefore he was actually pretty young (early 30's) when he got involved with Alton Towers and converted it into a leisure park.

The plans for Cornwall's Crealy look nice if a little safe...by his standards anyway.

:)

Forgive me for resurrecting an old topic, but camel creek are apparently (in the next few days/weeks, apparently when it's assembled) getting a new suspended coaster. Obviously it's going to be a portable of some description.

Ordinarily I would say that's pretty unremarkable news and not something that warrants bringing up, however, I have heard through the grapevine that they might be getting a refurbished Tsunami - the infamous Pinfari suspended coaster from M&D's up in Scotland. I don't know how true that is, and my sources entirely consist of Youtube comments and their graphic on the park map (which does kind of make out an inversion, although artistic liberties may have been taken), but if there's even a hint of possibility that it's true then I'm kind of a bit speechless in more ways than one. I'm still very sceptical though as Camel Creek do describe it as a family coaster and I wouldn't exactly call one of those particularly "family".

Although John Broome did wonders for Alton Towers initially, it does prove that the natural setting of the park did most of the work for him in those early days. As did being able to lease in most of the attractions.

Not quite so easy when it's a random little park in the back end of nowhere.

It was alright when I visited. You could keep children entertained there for several hours, nothing to shout about but perfectly okay.

I remember going years ago when it was Cornwall's Crealy. Was a nice little park but nothing too special. Fingers crossed they manage to get out of administration though.

Hope it survives, I was due to take the family next summer as we are staying a short drive away. Hopefully they get a new owner with fresh investment. Cornwall/ Devon really need a decent amusement/ theme park

It appears, new for 2024, the former site of the Bulgarian Zyklon/Galaxi has been taken over by… a new mini golf course.

I’m glad the park is surviving another season at least, and some investment is better than none.