• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Disney buys Lucasfilm

JB1985

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Oblivion
Eeeekkkkk!!!!!

I guess I will enter discussion later but 3 NEW STAR WARS FILMS! EEK!

Another ruined movie franchise then...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Lucas will be turning in his grave. Wait, he is dead isn't he? I'm pretty sure the critics killed him after 'Temple Of The Crystal Skull'.

On a serious note this is not what I'd call good news for the movie industry, however I can see it being massively good news for the theme park industry. Expanding on the Star Tours area is a must for Hollywood Studios. So much potential.........

On the contrary I think this could be very good news for the Lucas movie's. The recent Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies haven’t been that great. A lot of this has apparently been attributed to Lucas deciding that the films should be made his way, meaning not many people stood up to his bad decisions because... well would you argue with the creator of Star Wars?
So having Disney take over with some fresh minds could completely revitalise the franchises. You don't have to do much searching to find a great number of people who have come up with better scripts for the prequel films than the films that actually exist.

The Theme Parks however I don't think will see much change at all. For the last 25 years Disney have had such a good relationship with Lucas that they have had almost free control over the rides they've wanted to create anyway. Just look at:

Star Tours + The Adventure Continues
Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye
Plus several major shows and plenty of annual events.

Of course if they do plan to release a new Star Wars trilogy then they probably will add something new at the parks to go with it. But then they probably would have done this anyway even if they didn't own the franchise.

Like I said in the other thread, Star Wars has such a massive extended universe canon that it would be naive to think they wouldn't make more films. There's a huge number of storylines either going back before The Phantom Menace and a huge number going forward from Return of the Jedi!

Seems like I'm in the minority here, but I'm actually quite excited about what's in store!

I'd be very surprised if they didn't make any new Star Wars films at some point, although I wasn't expecting them this soon.

There is a chance of these films being brilliant, as the SW universe is huge and full of potential. And this time, it won't be just George Lucas getting his own way, which is what made the prequel films such a mistake.

Don't really know where else to put this so it'll go here for now:

Disney - (4/5/13) Some sad news from the Disney / Star Wars merger this week, as it was announced that Disney has shut down the entire LucasArts game division, laying off the 150 person staff. Along with the closure of LucasArts, this also shut down perhaps one of the most eagerly anticipated Star Wars game projects in the past decade, known simply as 1313. According to another report however, a lead on the project claimed that 1313 was still about 2 years from completion, which also implies it was likely a next-gen console title for Playstation 4 / Xbox 720 systems.

Screamscape also put this video clip up which relates to that project:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCCsGd7_kZM#ws

I'm surprised Screamscape reported on this as the only tie in it has to Theme Parks is that it's Disney. But this is fairly major news in the gaming world. LucasArts is a long running studio responsible for some amazing titles in the past. Not just Lucas film IP’s as the name suggests but things like Monkey Island.

To put this in perspective Disney shutting down LucasArts would be equivalent to Merlin shutting down Chessington. As you can guess people aren’t happy.