• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Disney- dead on the inside

Formercast7

TS Member
Up until recently I worked as a Cast Member at WDW, I worked as a Cast Member for 21 years. I was proud, I loved Disney, I loved my job, I loved you our Guests.

Covid 19 is nothing the company could control and Layoffs was inevitable and preventable. What was preventable was the way Disney treated its Cast Members.

When it came to Layoffs Disney said they were going to use Guest Feedback to say who was being made lay off. Other things including sickness etc was used to.

As soon as lay offs were announced I went from being in the top 25% of my rank to being in the bottom 50% which meant I was classed as underperforming. Not once in my career was I told I was under performing. I had a good sickness recorded and no other blemishes on my file.

I was layed off along with other very experienced cast members who were top performing cast Members. The majority were long serving cast. We cost more, we got more leave, we were too expensive. So they got rid of us and they kept underperforming cast and kept cast with very little experience.

Disney say they care about their Cast Members, they do not. I was not even sent a thank you for your service email from my manager on my last day. I’d been there 21 years.

They are a shambles.

The Disney we all loved and knew is dead on the inside. They don’t care about their Cast Members and they have little respect for what Disney is. The current CEO of Disney and president of Walt Disney World are people who are only interested in themselves. The lies they tell are disgusting

Up until recently I worked as a Cast Member at WDW, I worked as a Cast Member for 21 years. I was proud, I loved Disney, I loved my job, I loved you our Guests.

Covid 19 is nothing the company could control and Layoffs was inevitable and preventable. What was preventable was the way Disney treated its Cast Members.

When it came to Layoffs Disney said they were going to use Guest Feedback to say who was being made lay off. Other things including sickness etc was used to.

As soon as lay offs were announced I went from being in the top 25% of my rank to being in the bottom 50% which meant I was classed as underperforming. Not once in my career was I told I was under performing. I had a good sickness recorded and no other blemishes on my file.

I was layed off along with other very experienced cast members who were top performing cast Members. The majority were long serving cast. We cost more, we got more leave, we were too expensive. So they got rid of us and they kept underperforming cast and kept cast with very little experience.

Disney say they care about their Cast Members, they do not. I was not even sent a thank you for your service email from my manager on my last day. I’d been there 21 years.

They are a shambles.

The Disney we all loved and knew is dead on the inside. They don’t care about their Cast Members and they have little respect for what Disney is. The current CEO of Disney and president of Walt Disney World are people who are only interested in themselves. The lies they tell are disgusting
I have never been to a Disney Park but I have had my suspicions about their working practices. A lot of people on this forum (excluding me) work or have worked at attractions in the UK and they may be able to give you guidance. I am sorry about how Disney has treated you and I hope TowersStreet can help you in some way.

I have never been to a Disney Park but I have had my suspicions about their working practices. A lot of people on this forum (excluding me) work or have worked at attractions in the UK and they may be able to give you guidance. I am sorry about how Disney has treated you and I hope TowersStreet can help you in some way.
Disney was always a fabulous employer but how they have handled Covid is appalling. They was once a brand I loved but Covid has made them dead on the inside,they don't care anymore like they cared pre-Covid.

I'm sorry to hear that, for both you and the wider Disney company. It does not sound very Disney like at all. However, with what I have heard about Bob Chapek is does not overly surprise me. I don't think he will last long as CEO, which will be a blessing.

Disney have been hit hard from Covid. Harder than some think.

It's easy to think "ah it's Disney they are loaded they can afford this pandemic". However their Theme Park division has basically been decimated. Would you visit a Disney park without all the stuff that makes it so unique? Parades, shows, night time spectaculars? No! Well neither would anyone else either. Take all that stuff away and their parks aren't any better than your local family run park. I'm sure a trip to Pac Asterix was more fun and value for money (minus the silly crowds) for the Parisians than DLP was for example.

And then Disney have also had to take huge hits in other areas of their business too on their retail stores and movie takings in some of their other divisions. As they say the bigger the tree, the harder it falls.

Does sound like you were treated poorly though. I'm an HR manager so I know a thing or two about it.

Also I think a lot has been said elsewhere about cost-cutting and Disney's operations over the last few years. The opening of Shanghai and the poor performance of Hong Kong has cost them and they have cut costs to the bone in Florida to make up for it I think. It is not a surprise that "expensive" employees have been let go first.

It's all relative tbh. When Disney say they've been 'hit hard' they've still made millions in profit.

Disney's total profit last year was $11 Billion.