• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Disneyland Paris 2014: 'Ratatouille' dark ride

Sam

TS Member
We don't have a Ratatouille topic! Anyway, new pics, showing the first bit of theming!

lU8A3.jpg

Vurwe.jpg

Wowie zowie.

Photos posted by mattyland on CoasterCommunity

I went to DLP in June and wondered what does cranes were for, and now I know! That themeing looks good, anyway know what the actual ride is all about?

:)

Finally, after years of planning and waiting its gone vertical!

Anyone know if there's a second film planned?

Sam said:

I suppose they are the bits that will be attached to the side of the Costuming building alongside the Parisian themed walkway to TSPL ;D

Eddie said:
I went to DLP in June and wondered what does cranes were for, and now I know! That themeing looks good, anyway know what the actual ride is all about?

:)

The latest rumours are that you would have been shrunk to the size of a rat and will be moving around the kitchens of a restaurant, using the trackless system used on various other Disney rides. Apparently the working title is the rather naff Ratatouille Kitchen Calamity.

So for 6 years in the planning.making this had better be the best dark ride Disney have ever produced (even if Haunted Mansion took 8 years) :)

It better still be trackless. If it isn't, I'll weep.

Imagine (if it's trackless) being thrown into a huge cooking pot. A dozen other ride cars in a big circular scene, all manically darting around and dodging each other in a crazy big dance!

Worth watching, the only current ride with trackless technology. See 2:10 for the effect I'm talking about.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU88Bw_ivT8[/youtube]

Fair enough, I meant more the specific high-tech Disney system used in Pooh and Mystic Manor rather than more crude examples.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

I also read a while back that it will combine some spiderman style 3D screens as well. Certainly sounds like it could turn out to be one of Disney's top dark rides.

Maelstrom said:
I also read a while back that it will combine some spiderman style 3D screens as well. Certainly sounds like it could turn out to be one of Disney's top dark rides.

Yup, though I hope they go down the more AA route to the quality of TLM or RSRs! I know they have a hemispheric screen for some strange effects (which has been floating about a while).

Fingers crossed really as WDS could do with every bit of help it can possible get!

Don't forget the trackless system at Terra Mitica. Which isn't such a "crude example" in my opinion, offered 3 different endings in its early years, although now only offers 1.

Labyrinth of the Minotaur (pretty poor POV): [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY8uNzzSOCY[/youtube]

Sally corp video, the people who made the themed elements: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byRGO51zgGA[/youtube]

Back on topic, looks like a very good investment, incorporating Spider man style screens would surely place this ride into the dark ride greats, but without a 2nd movie, surely the ride will become forgettable and not worth it in the long term?

Spiderman is the most overrated ride in history. Why do you all love screens on dark rides so much?! If you want to look at screens, watch television or go see a film.

Sam, screens offer the best and most immersive way of simulating a scene without going all out on expensive sets that wouldn't create such a fast paced effect. The Forbidden Journey does this to such incredible effect - no need to be so damning and dismissive!

I'm very much looking forward to Ratatouille :D Russell and I were discussing only today that it is Disneyland Park's 20th birthday, and Studio's 10th birthday this year - such a shame Studios has nothing to show for itself :( I imagine they originally aimed for this fantastic dark ride to open in 2012!

I think screens work when used in moderation. They are a great way to create those themed scenes and animations which would not be possible to do in reality using physical props and alike.

There are some rides which are just continual screens, and I think these are just overkill and as a result spoil the ride. But rides like Space Mountain at DLP where they use one screen to show the explosion scene work well, or ToT, where they use video to place the people into the corridor on one of the floors. They use a bit of technology to make a realistic effect which would be lost when using traditional props and lighting.

A good video screen/projection shouldn't feel as such in my opinion. It should blend seamlessly in with physical props and objects to create a really immersive experience, like Space Mountain does. They should not be used as a replacement for reality though.

To give another couple of examples, Splash Mountain uses projection to create the silhouettes of the rabbit and fox on one of the lift hills, and Maus au Chocolat (While using screens throughout) also has some subtle projected shadows of the mice running around on the walls. These are both cases where the projection has been blended in with real props and theming objects in order to complete the experience.

An example of a ride where a projected scene really doesn't work would (In my book) be the Nut Room in Charlie at Alton. Here the projection was used as a cheap get out to replace more costly and time consuming set building. A cop out for want of a better word :p

So yes, I think video screens and projection can have their place in a dark ride. But only when used well for the right reasons and in the right situation. I can imagine Disney managing to incorporate a couple into this ride, to go along with the real sets created at any rate :)

Labyrinth of the Minotaur is a great ride, but my question is how on earth do these work

Trackless Transit?

They generally use magnets which run under the floor to guide the vehicles around the route. There's a very good explanation on GEL's site which explains how their system works. I think they mostly run the same way.

They also have this video which shows the system they built for Sundown, and what it can do :)

There's also a video somewhere on YouTube which talks about how they made ToT's system.

Hopefully that helps a bit :)

I agree that screens are good when used in moderation. Very limited moderation. Effects like making a portrait come to life, are great.

But I do not see the point, at all, of going through a dark ride and looking at screens. I have a television. I've been to the cinema.

We've seen incredible special effects in films for twenty years now. They're not special anymore, I can see them at home. When I go on a dark ride, I want to see amazing physical effects and awe-inspiring sets!

I thought Spiderman was OK, but very overrated. The ride car is amazing, but it basically transports you from television to television. Obviously it's better than that, with the 3D effects and the movement of the car, but you're basically watching television. In a really cool way, granted.

Compare that to Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland. A truly astonishing ride, where you move in a similar ride car through beautifully decorated sets in real life, not on a screen. With falling pillars and rickety rope bridges that really exist, and interact with you in the physical world. Same with Tower of Terror, with uses video very minimally.

Spiderman is OK, but Indiana Jones and TOT are ten times better. One is an interesting diversion that lets you watch awe-inspiring action. The other two actually take you inside awe-inspiring action, as it happens all around you.

It terrifies me that screens are the future of dark rides, but it seems that's the way we're going because it's so much cheaper. It'll be the death of dark rides, as they merely become high-tech cinema.

JB1985 said:
Labyrinth of the Minotaur is a great ride, but my question is how on earth do these work

The really advanced (and expensive) Disney systems use a Local Positioning System, similar to GPS. You can get an overview of it here. :)