Disneyland Resort, California: General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rest of the World Parks and Attractions' started by Sam, 29th Jun 2012.

1. Sam

Sam TowersStreet Member

Some exciting news, following on from the recently opened Cars Land!

Third gate

Obviously very exciting, a thrill park from Disney really makes me salivate.

Removal of Innoventions, Autopia and Peoplemover

If this is true, this'll be huge for Disneyland. The park is short for space, and so the chance to create a massive new space without taking out anything that's particularly loved or even well-liked is perfect! What will they do with it, what do Disneyland already not have? Massive new dark ride perhaps? Or something similar to the Snow White coaster at WDW?

DCA revolution: a huge success

If that's really true about it getting higher visitor numbers than Disneyland, one of the world's theme park gods, that really is astounding.

Posted 29th Jun 2012
  2. AstroDan

AstroDan TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
    I find it hard to believe that California Adventure would get a higher gate than the most famous theme park on earth?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Posted 29th Jun 2012
  3. Tim

Tim TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Air / Blue Fire
    It'll be because Car's Land is new and everyone goes to World of Colour in the evening. Give it a few months and Disneyland will be back at number 1.

Still it’s a very good sign and shows that California Adventures is finally able to compete.

Posted 29th Jun 2012
  4. Sam

Sam TowersStreet Member

The higher gate figure could be caused by a lot of locals (who wouldn't go to DL or DCA at any other time) visiting the park to check out a major new ride, Cars Land.

Posted 29th Jun 2012
  5. Squiggs

Squiggs TS Site Team Team Member

I would imagine there'll be a fair few people (non-geeks) who will have been holding off visiting DCA during the later stages of construction, waiting instead for the park to be 'complete'. I'd imagine it will be a short lived phenomenon.

And removing Autotopia.... that'd be a pretty big deal, removing what is effectively an opening day attraction (despite obviously actually be a completely different attraction to the one that opened originally), but even so... first Snow White, now this... it seems Disney really have it in for their vintage attraction.

I can only wonder if they've employed Amanda Thompson.... hmm.

Posted 29th Jun 2012
  6. Adam James

Adam James TS Contributor

Favourite Ride:
    Blue Fire
    [​IMG]

Well they did do a trade off 50 years ago with Alice's Wonderland..

Posted 30th Jun 2012
  7. Benzin

Benzin TowersStreet Member

Autopia DOES take up a lot of space though... And with the low throughput and what not they could easily remove it and add an awesome Tron themed indoor duelling Vekoma Booster Bike...

As for DCA, I'm happy it's successful, when I went I thought it was a decent enough park but Cars Land looks absolutely fantastic... Slowly becoming a very substantial park and worth the park hopper ticket...

Posted 30th Jun 2012
  8. AirFAN

AirFAN TowersStreet Member

This land looks absolutely amazing - the investment here looks insane:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-4lxg01nAo[/youtube]

Radiator spring racers:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucx2wVM2cWY&feature=related[/youtube]

Posted 2nd Jul 2012
  9. Joelio

Joelio TowersStreet Member

If the removal of Autopia and such is a success, one can only hope they remove the Autopia in paris and replace it with a Test Track or a Mount Prometheus ;)

Very impressed by Cars Land though, can't wait to see it for myself some day.

Posted 3rd Jul 2012
  10. Sam

Sam TowersStreet Member

Fascinating 1960 trip report to Disneyland over on TPR. :) (you might need to use a proxy ;) )

It all looked so amateur hour back then! But those live mermaids are AWESOME!

11. BigAl

BigAl TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey
    Don't know if this has been posted anywhere, but according to Screamscape...

And a trailer for the new Oz film which is out next March:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhLaBpvS7os&feature=plcp[/youtube]

Can't wait for that film and if they do build a new themed land based on it, I can't wait for that either! :p

12. Sam

Sam TowersStreet Member

Sounds fun!

13. Alastair

Alastair TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Indiana Jones Adventure
    Does sound fun, until you see the injuries! ???

14. BigAl

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey
    From Screamscape's update for today:

Edit: 13/12/12

Screamscape can confirm that BTM will be closed for most of the year for a big overhaul!

15. Sam

Sam TowersStreet Member

Sound like they're going to do exactly the same as what they did to Space Mountain - replace the original in-house track with Vekoma track along the same layout.

Kinda sad, I think that'll leave the Matterhorn as the only 'in-house' WED (with Arrow) coaster left in the entire Disney empire. :(

16. Niques

Niques TowersStreet Member

Thanks Disney! It's not like we've just paid £6000 to visit your park, with this ride being one of the main reasons or anything.

As glad as I am to see the refurb, I am pretty annoyed - why announce such a huge refurbishment less than a month before it occurs? Surely, they've been forced in to it due to some reason, or other.

17. Dylan

Dylan TowersStreet Member

That sucks. :(
    However, if it makes you feel a teeny bit better when I visited Disneyland Big Thunder, Splash Mountain and Space Mountain were on rehab!
    It's quite depressing when large attractions are out of action when you are making such a big trip.

18. BigAl

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey
    Update on what's happening with some of BTM's theming, courtesy of Disney and More.

:)

19. Sam

Sam TowersStreet Member

Oh dear!

Imagine going to Disneyland Park with Matterhorn, Space Mountain and Big Thunder down, all the park's coasters. It'd only leave two of the big five open. :eek:

20. LiamC

LiamC TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Hex
    Wow. That's going to hit them really hard! Quite why a large organisation such as Disney has let this happen is beyond me. It's not like any of the things they've been pulled up on are massive, drastic steps that need taking. The majority of it sounds like common sense H&S to me. :)