• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Disneyland Resort, California: General Discussion

Sam

TS Member
Some exciting news, following on from the recently opened Cars Land!

Third gate

Screamscape said:
???? - Third Theme Park - Rumor - (6/27/12) Could Disneyland be making it’s first serious steps towards designing a third California park? According to MiceAge, WDI has been drawing up plans for a full scale Marvel comics themed park that would feature more thrill rides and fit perfectly into the available acreage, as well as serve as a template for future parks in Paris, Hong Kong and Shanghai. There are lots of other infrastructure issues to be delt with before this can happen, such as making room for new resorts, and adding the extra parking spaces that will be needed with a way to transport guests and employees to all three parks.

Obviously very exciting, a thrill park from Disney really makes me salivate.

Removal of Innoventions, Autopia and Peoplemover

???? - Tomorrowland Update - Rumor - (6/29/12) An anonymous tip sent in to Screamscape confirms that the word going around Disneyland is that Innoventions and Autopia are very likely to be walled off by this time next summer as they work to remove them, along with the old Peoplemover track around this area as well.

If this is true, this'll be huge for Disneyland. The park is short for space, and so the chance to create a massive new space without taking out anything that's particularly loved or even well-liked is perfect! What will they do with it, what do Disneyland already not have? Massive new dark ride perhaps? Or something similar to the Snow White coaster at WDW?

DCA revolution: a huge success

Screamscape said:
General Park News - (6/27/12) MiceAge has a great update this week, full of new shocking details revealed about the state of things at the Disneyland Resort after seeing the first full week of operation changes due to the reborn Disney California Adventure park. Not only have the park-hopping guests responded by choosing to enter DCA first in the morning when given a choice, but on most days DCA has been packing in a bigger crowd that Disneyland, which was previously unthinkable.
The entire park, and not just Cars Land, has also been getting extremely high guest satisfaction numbers in the surveys all week, seeming to prove that all the money spent has indeed solved “The DCA Problem”.

If that's really true about it getting higher visitor numbers than Disneyland, one of the world's theme park gods, that really is astounding.

I find it hard to believe that California Adventure would get a higher gate than the most famous theme park on earth?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

It'll be because Car's Land is new and everyone goes to World of Colour in the evening. Give it a few months and Disneyland will be back at number 1.

Still it’s a very good sign and shows that California Adventures is finally able to compete.

The higher gate figure could be caused by a lot of locals (who wouldn't go to DL or DCA at any other time) visiting the park to check out a major new ride, Cars Land.

I would imagine there'll be a fair few people (non-geeks) who will have been holding off visiting DCA during the later stages of construction, waiting instead for the park to be 'complete'. I'd imagine it will be a short lived phenomenon.

And removing Autotopia.... that'd be a pretty big deal, removing what is effectively an opening day attraction (despite obviously actually be a completely different attraction to the one that opened originally), but even so... first Snow White, now this... it seems Disney really have it in for their vintage attraction.

I can only wonder if they've employed Amanda Thompson.... hmm.

Squiggs said:
I can only wonder if they've employed Amanda Thompson.... hmm.

world_of_color_2.jpg

Well they did do a trade off 50 years ago with Alice's Wonderland..

Autopia DOES take up a lot of space though... And with the low throughput and what not they could easily remove it and add an awesome Tron themed indoor duelling Vekoma Booster Bike...

As for DCA, I'm happy it's successful, when I went I thought it was a decent enough park but Cars Land looks absolutely fantastic... Slowly becoming a very substantial park and worth the park hopper ticket...

This land looks absolutely amazing - the investment here looks insane:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-4lxg01nAo[/youtube]

Radiator spring racers:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucx2wVM2cWY&feature=related[/youtube]

If the removal of Autopia and such is a success, one can only hope they remove the Autopia in paris and replace it with a Test Track or a Mount Prometheus ;)

Very impressed by Cars Land though, can't wait to see it for myself some day.

Don't know if this has been posted anywhere, but according to Screamscape...

According to Screamscape sources, the plan on Disney’s long-term radar to build an entire new land behind Frontierland, all revolves around the success or failure of the new OZ: The Great and Powerful film coming in 2013. I’ve got to admit, the theme kind of fits too, as guests would have to enter the world of OZ by first going through Frontierland. This could be a very interesting development as many people have long wished for an OZ theme park experience. So how will the new film perform? I’ve got to admit that film trailer looks pretty awesome… and having Sam Raimi behind the lens can only help make this an awesome adventure full of great eye candy.

And a trailer for the new Oz film which is out next March:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhLaBpvS7os&feature=plcp[/youtube]

Can't wait for that film and if they do build a new themed land based on it, I can't wait for that either! :p

Sounds fun!

Screamscape said:
General Park News - (11/26/12) A 37-year old contract worker at Disneyland was injured while “cleaning” the roof of Space Mountain, when one of the ropes in his harness came loose and he slid about 20 feet down the side of the mountain before crashing into a barricade at the bottom. Click here for the official story.

Sam said:
Sounds fun!

Screamscape said:
General Park News - (11/26/12) A 37-year old contract worker at Disneyland was injured while “cleaning” the roof of Space Mountain, when one of the ropes in his harness came loose and he slid about 20 feet down the side of the mountain before crashing into a barricade at the bottom. Click here for the official story.

Does sound fun, until you see the injuries! ???

The 37-year-old man suffered a broken leg, a broken clavicle and may have broken ribs, the Orange County Register reported.

From Screamscape's update for today:
General Park News - (12/10/12) Screamscape readers report that Disneyland has reopened the refurbished Indiana Jones ride after it has been closed for the past three months. Lots of little improvements and nice new touches are said to be found all over, including in the queue.

Edit: 13/12/12

Screamscape can confirm that BTM will be closed for most of the year for a big overhaul!
2013 - Big Thunder Rehab - Rumor - (12/13/12) The Disney Parks Blog has confirmed that the rumored long term rehab of Big Thunder Mountain will take place in 2013. The ride will close on January 7th and not reopen again until Fall 2013. According to the report when Big Thunder reopens it will have a fleet of brand new trains, new track, and the mountain landscape itself will be repaired and restored. If the previous rumors hold true, the new trains could see a seat divided added as well as individual lapbars, bringing to an end the possibility of putting three riders in a single row.

Disney Parks Blog said:
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad to Close January 7 for Refurbishment at Disneyland Park

In the normal course of a Disney Parks attraction’s lifespan, there are periods of time when it is necessary to close for a major refurbishment. You may recall that this was the case last year with the Matterhorn Bobsleds, which now looks better than ever with its fresh snowfall. Up next at Disneyland park, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad will close January 7 for refurbishment, reopening in fall 2013.

Updates being made to the attraction will include:
  • New ride vehicles (but don’t worry – they’ll still look like the trains that you know and love!)
    Track replacement (but the attraction will still follow its current course)
  • Repainting portions of the mountain itself (Walt Disney Imagineering has once again carefully studied Bryce Canyon for inspiration)

We’ll have more updates on these and other aspects of the refurbishment throughout the year, but if you’d like to experience the “wildest ride in the wilderness” one more time before it begins, head on over to Disneyland park by January 6 – its last day of operation until fall 2013.

Sound like they're going to do exactly the same as what they did to Space Mountain - replace the original in-house track with Vekoma track along the same layout.

Kinda sad, I think that'll leave the Matterhorn as the only 'in-house' WED (with Arrow) coaster left in the entire Disney empire. :(

Thanks Disney! It's not like we've just paid £6000 to visit your park, with this ride being one of the main reasons or anything.

As glad as I am to see the refurb, I am pretty annoyed - why announce such a huge refurbishment less than a month before it occurs? Surely, they've been forced in to it due to some reason, or other.

Benedique said:
Thanks Disney! It's not like we've just paid £6000 to visit your park, with this ride being one of the main reasons or anything.

As glad as I am to see the refurb, I am pretty annoyed - why announce such a huge refurbishment less than a month before it occurs? Surely, they've been forced in to it due to some reason, or other.

That sucks. :(
However, if it makes you feel a teeny bit better when I visited Disneyland Big Thunder, Splash Mountain and Space Mountain were on rehab!
It's quite depressing when large attractions are out of action when you are making such a big trip.

Oh dear!

The Disney Blog said:
Disneyland forced to close attractions by OSHA
Posted on April 13, 2013 by John Frost

The California Division of Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA) delivered seven safety violation citations to the Disneyland resort yesterday for Space Mountain. For some reason, this has resulted in three major attractions to be closed at the Disneyland Resort today. Those attractions are Space Mountain, The Matterhorn Bobsleds, and Soarin’ Over California. It’s not yet clear if the Matterhorn and Soarin’ are related to the same OSHA filing. I’ve asked Disneyland for clarification.

The citations were related a 2006 agreement to make improvements and to inspections following recent accidents such as the man who was seriously injured while cleaning the outside of Space Mountain. The findings include simple failures like not having a charged fire extinguisher and more serious ones like failure to protect employees from unsafe ladders or lack of railings preventing a fall hazard. Serious fines of up to $70,000 for each infraction could be levied if Disneyland does not comply immediately with the requests (although appeal is also an option). Total penalties for just the Space Mountain citations could reach over $230,000.

These are the same sort of hazards that forced Disneyland to close Alice in Wonderland until temporary scaffolding could be erected with guardrails. The park still hasn’t made permanent fixes there.

There were a lot of violations listed in the citation, here are a few of those listed as Willful Serious:

“Disneyland Resort failed to correct the unsafe work practice of employees of both Disneyland Resort and HSG Inc. accessing upper exterior platform of a building (Space Mountain) to change lights, and perform other maintenance tasks without the protection of guardrails or personal fall protection”

“During the course of the inspection and prior, the employer, Disneyland Resort, failed to provide guardrails on all open sides of unenclosed elevated work locations more than 30 inches above the floor, ground, or other working areas of a building (Space Mountain) at Disneyland Resort. Employees of Disneyland Resort and HSG, Inc accessed the upper exterior platform of Space Mountain to perform routine and also non-routine maintenance and were not protected by guardrails or any other type of fall protection.”

I have asked Disneyland for a statement and will follow up on this post if and when I get a reply. Hopefully this does not result in another situation like Alice where we have to deal with a long closure or bad show until a more permanent fix can be found.

In the meantime with Big Thunder also down (for rehab) this makes four of the resort’s biggest attractions down on a busy weekend. I’m sure it’s pretty miserable for guests and cast members. If you go to the parks, be sure to be nice to front line cast members who are just doing their job . They deserve it as this is a situation that is out of their control.

Update: Still piecing together the story. It sounds like CAL/OSHA inspectors were on-site this morning and found violations at a number of attractions. Some were closed temporarily until a fix could be made. Others with bigger problems remain closed. Add to that a fire on a sub at Finding Nemo closing that ride and you have a very diminished Disneyland today.

Just to be clear, CAL/OSHA is concerned with employee safety. It doesn’t sound like guests were in danger here except as to when they would enter employee areas during an evacuation.

More as the story develops.

Imagine going to Disneyland Park with Matterhorn, Space Mountain and Big Thunder down, all the park's coasters. It'd only leave two of the big five open. :eek:

Wow. That's going to hit them really hard! Quite why a large organisation such as Disney has let this happen is beyond me. It's not like any of the things they've been pulled up on are massive, drastic steps that need taking. The majority of it sounds like common sense H&S to me. :)