• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

DLP: Ridiculous new refurb for Indiana Jones

Sam

TS Member
YEyecxI.jpg

A coaster refurb wouldn't usually deserve its own topic, but this is absolutely nuts.

Screamscape said:
2014 - Indiana Jones Temple of Peril Rehab - Planned - (9/30/13) Shocking news came from Disney & More this weekend… and this is not an April Fool’s joke. According to the report a Disneyland Paris Director revealed to fans that they would soon demolish the Indiana Jones Temple of Peril coaster/attraction and then rebuild it, using real stone for the temples.
Given that the timetable to do this is only about 5 months sometime in 2014, I would guess that they would plan on leaving as much of the coaster structure itself standing as possible, though it was mentioned that they would also rebuild the loop.

Taking a look at Disney & More itself...

Disney & More said:
Here is a new Disneyland Paris update with some amazing news about DLP Adventureland Temple of Peril as Joe Schott "DLP Directeur General Adjoint" revealed in a meeting with DLP fans that Indiana Jones Temple of Peril will be destroyed and rebuilt entirely all in REAL STONE, and the looping track, too, will be rebuilt!

I know that it's hard to believe and personally i couldn't believe it - just like you, i presume - so i double checked to make sure that it was not an April Fool at the end of September and, yes, this is really what Joe Schott said, they are really going to rebuild the temple in real "stone" like in the good old times when Pharaohs were building the Pyramids!

Works should start next year and last five months. I don't think they will rebuild the coaster structure itself as, as you can see on the great aerial picture below coming from my DLP book, the temple itself has been built around or inside the coaster structure, so they probably can rebuild the temple without touching to the coaster structure. The only thing that remain to be confirmed is if they are really going to rebuild the WHOLE temple or only a part of it? I know that all this sounds insane but no need to say that considering the financial situation of DLP if they decide to rebuild the whole temple it's not for the pleasure to spend money and there is probably a good reason behind all this.

So, i tried to learn a bit more about how the temple was built 20 years ago, in 1993, and although there is certainly a steel framework and concrete substructure to support the whole thing, it seems that a big part of the temple is in fact made of block of foams covered by cement - sculpted cement of course, or eventually sculpted concrete. One of the reasons they did it like this in 1993 seems to be because of the small budget which was available. No need to say that if the temple is really made in foam + cement it's no surprise that they need to rebuilt it twenty years later. May be they realised that the way it was built is not strong enough anymore, becoming potentially dangerous, and may be they don't have any other way to resolve the problem than to rebuild the whole thing... Well, may be they shouldn't have called it "the Temple of Peril"! Bad omen!

[a lot skipped out here by me - Sam]

Don't go away, there is a "one more thing", as Joe Schott also revealed that after the rebuild of the Temple of Peril it will be the turn of Big Thunder Mountain! No kidding. But for this Frontierland favorite the plan is not to rebuild BTM but only to increase the ride capacity. How they will do it is another question that we will talk about later. By the way, some of you might think that all these new announcements from DLP might be done in reaction to the fans petition sent recently to Bob Iger, but in fact i've been told that these projects are part of a long term strategy scheduled since 2009. That said, may be there is a link between the petition and the fact that they communicate about all this now. Anyway, even if i'm sure you would have prefer the announcement of a brand new ride, the fact that one of the park's favorite coaster will receive improvements in a near future is a great news, and of course i will let you know when works will start on the Temple of Peril.

While I laud their dedication to constant improvement, and to going to such great lengths to increase the quality of the park, this seems like a very odd decision to make when the park can't afford any new attractions!

BTM makes a lot more sense, I hear the queue is horrendous. Anyway... surely this qualifies as some of the oddest and most unexpected coaster news ever...?

I'd be happier to read this if it was going on with a new ride, which Parc Disneyland needs...

This seems wasteful on what is a rubbish coaster!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Struck me as odd this. Pretty sure they're just sprucing the area up ready for the attraction that's going next to it :p

Joelio said:
Struck me as odd this. Pretty sure they're just sprucing the area up ready for the attraction that's going next to it :p

Can't work out if you're being facetious or not! Do you actually think they'll put an Indy dark ride/Splash Mountain next to it? :)

^ And even if this is 'just a spruce-up', surely using real stone to rebuild the whole thing would cost an insane amount of money, even into the €millions? Absolute madness, but part of me would love to see it done.

Oh god... Folks... I'm really sorry to say this; I'm EXCITED for this refurbishment! It may be my love for Indiana Jones seeping through, not a covert enthusiasm for a Pintamin, above anything else.

Sam said:
Joelio said:

Can't work out if you're being facetious or not! Do you actually think they'll put an Indy dark ride/Splash Mountain next to it? :)

I do think they'll put IJA next to it, but realistically after 2015. You've seen the very old and potentially out dated plans for where it will go in relation to the ride. Regardless the site has remained untouched next to it and it has clearly been 'earmarked' for something serious. Did you ever see/read about (in my case) the original plans for the Indiana Jones mini land? Including white water rafting boat ride and the vast majority of the land being built indoors.

With the next major addition slated as being the Star Wars mini land at the back of Discoveryland including Star Tours 2, Jedi Academy in the former Captain EO/HISTA location and the replacement restaurant from pizza planet to Mos Eisley Cantina, the sudden attention being given to Indiana Jones does make you wonder.

Pure speculation on my part but its not out of the question at all.

EDIT: Link to the aforementioned outdated plans http://disneyandmore.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/when-indiana-jones-adventure-will-be.html

In a way, this seems strangely similar to the work being done to Runaway Train at Chessington. Both parks are spending large sums of money on mediocre attractions that would arguably be better spent on something entirely new.

Difference being that Chessie can't afford to actually build a new attraction...

Either that or they just don't want to...

At least with Disney we can trust that the new temple will be an improvement... With Chessington, I have no faith that any new rocks will appear at all.

So Indiana Jones closed a few days ago, and work has already begun to completely demolish the current ride...

JiJWGuQ.jpg

Rumours are now flying around the internet that the ride is effectively being levelled, and then will actually be moved slightly to occupy a new footprint. This is to make space for a future new Adventureland attraction (Indiana Jones Adventure or Snorin').

Well that's a bit extensive if they're planning on doing that! However, if it means we potentially stand a chance of getting something along the lines of Forbidden Eye at Cali I'm all for it I guess :)

So anyone 1.32 meters or taller can now ride every attraction at DLP.

Not sure if this is a good or bad thing.

Ian

I can't see why they would move it, there is a perfectly fine expansion area next to it to build basically anything.

Officially all they are doing is rebuilding the temple (probably due to H&S issues), retracking the loop (done by Vekoma) and a new ride control system.

Rather unsurprisingly Vekoma seem to be involved, as they will be when the Big Thunder Mountain refurb happens later in the year.

Wait, let me get this straight... Vekoma are re-tracking an Intamin clone of a Pinfari? :eek: Would it not just be easier (and indeed, less painful) to beat each guest to death with a sledge hammer?

Nope, even better! Vekoma are re-tracking an Intamin clone of a Pinfari that was subcontracted out to Giovanola - or the Pintanola as I like to call it (Does this mean it'll be a Pintanolaoma when they're done with it? :p ) At the rate it's going there won't be any company that hasn't touched it!

I do hope they add an attraction next to it as it always feels right on the edge and out of the way. I'm praying it goes backwards again!

They've always had expansion space for an Indy Adventure ride, but as always, cost means we've never seen it...

Ah yes, Vekoma...Disney's chums. You should know that they're never far behind with any new coaster with them now! :p