• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Do I have a rare Mack woody credit?

DiogoJ42

TS Member
Favourite Ride
The Metropolitan Line
I've been thinking. Many years ago, I rode Runaway Coaster at Folkestone's Rotunda pleasure beach.

RCDB lists it as unknown origin. But it was identical to the model of a figgure 8 side friction coaster that pops up in the first scene of Historama at Europa Park.

Could it be that I've been on a Mack woody without even knowing it? What do you guys think?

Fascinating idea Diogo!

Here's a clue, garnered from the BBC's H2G2:

BBC said:
A recently restored coaster is 'The Runaway Coaster' (as it is now called) at Rotunda, UK. First built in the 1920s (and so is actually a 'modern' speedier version), the coaster once toured the German fairs. The oldest surviving example is 'Leap the Dips', a 1902 coaster at Lakemont Park, Pennsylvania, USA, which has also recently been restored.

Sounds very likely, maybe it's worth contacting Mack and asking them? I wonder how they felt about its demolition. Surprised if it is one of theirs that they didn't buy it back from the park actually! :)

I believe it's demolition was at short notice. They probably didn't have time to sort anything out. :(
Has anyone else here been on this coaster?

I do have an old leaflet from the park, however it doesn't have any specific information about the woodie.

Saying that, as the coaster was designated 'ACE Coaster Classic' status, I've sent an email to the historian of the ACE organisation. I'll let you both know when I receive a response regarding the maunfacturer and any other interesting details.

Living just down the road from the old Rotunda park I remember it always seemed rather neglected in its days at Folkestone. To start with it was fine but over the years no extra money was spent on freshening it (and the cars) up. It eventually went to SBNO around 2005 of the millennium, rarely seen operating and then was as you correctly say, torn down in the blink of an eye for a redevelopment project that never happened...

It sat in the shadow of a Spinning magic mouse coaster for many of its last years (that coaster is now in Rhodes I believe) with the woodie sitting right in the rear corner of the park. Shame really.

Ben