• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drop Towers

JamesDLD

TS Member
Love 'em or hate 'em? Drop towers are probably the only ride type out there that can terrify even the most seasoned of enthusiasts. They are great rides in the fact that they take up little space and offer a thrill like no other.

Discuss :)

I'm a massive fan of drop towers, and tower rides in general. Apocalypse, Scream, Detonator, Tower of Terror and Mystery Castle are all favourites of mine. There are some bad tower rides out there that don't really seem to do very much though, including Ice Blast, The Bounce, Sky Drop (Adventure Island) and Big Ben (travelling).

I'm not great with heights, especially if I feel exposed (I'm never going on a Star flyer again!), so the wait at the top of the taller towers (200+ ft) can be very unpleasant for me, but I'd say a good freefall drop is one of the most amazing sensations that any ride can offer.

I'm the same as you Adz.

I've been on a few, mostly not liking them a lot, but my favourite- by far- is Tower of Terror. I don't know what it is about it, but it's much less intense, and the acceleration is much lower. Great dark ride as well- although the song is scary :-\. One of the funniest things ever was, as the ride cycle changes, instead of being launched up at the start, I dropped down. It scared me *%&*less, but it was a great laugh.

When I went Phantasialand, I didn't experience Mystery Castle, and I instantly regretted it, it sound like an incredible experience to me. Maybe, one day in the future, I'll visit again and ride it.

I also love drop towers, as well as giving a thrill in a short time, they also allow a nice view of the park they're in.

Some of my favourites include Scream, Atmosfear at Liseberg, Detonator and Giant Drop :)

I love drop towers. They give me a real thrill and are one of the few types of rides where I get genuinely scared. I have to say that one of the best drop towers I have been on is the one at Movie Park Germany. It is a stand up floorless tower that also tilts you forward, and despite not being the tallest the drop is quite phenomenal. We have two very good drop towers here in the UK on the form of Apocalypse and Detenator, the latter being a lot more thrilling that it looks!

:)

Of all the drop towers i've been on Tower of Terror is still top of the list, it combines themeing and storytelling with a fantastic and customisable ride system, which is both forceful and fun! :)

Tower of Terror is my favourite drop tower - I went on it six times in a day :p The start is particularly terrifying, as you don't know whether you'll go up or down. Very well themed, and a great dark ride.

Other than that, I've only been on a few. I've been on Cliffhanger, one at Winter Wonderland a few years ago and Detonator, but my favourite has to be Apocalypse. The tilt is unique, and the fact that you can choose your seating position is quite nice. I only went stand up, though.

Generally they don't do much for me, but Apocalypse is still my all time favourite ride after the coasters. Standup still gets me everytime. I cannot rave about Appocy enough to be honest lol. Just a shame they got rid of half of the atmosphere by replacing the ride music with the pop songs.

Love ones like Detonator! It is the scariest ride I have ever been on.
Don't mind ones like Apocalypse. The seatbelt is too tight to be scary.

The Drop Tower that scared me the most was Hurakan Condor, although the rush is amazing and I did it again a couple times.

Apocalypse is my favourite in the UK, with Hyper Blaster at Pleasure Island coming second.

Nick said:
Adz95 said:
The Drop Tower that scared me the most was Hurakan Condor

Haha. I did that in the dark, it was ridiculous.

I could have but instead opted for basically whoring Dragon Kahn both nights we stayed at the park till late.

:(

Rob said:
I love drop towers. They give me a real thrill and are one of the few types of rides where I get genuinely scared. I have to say that one of the best drop towers I have been on is the one at Movie Park Germany. It is a stand up floorless tower that also tilts you forward, and despite not being the tallest the drop is quite phenomenal. We have two very good drop towers here in the UK on the form of Apocalypse and Detenator, the latter being a lot more thrilling that it looks!

:)

OMG! The drop tower at Movie Park - I actually HATE IT! The feat it enduced on me is unreal! I'm not the biggest fan of heights, but normally when I'm tucket up in an OSTR I'm fine. However on this occasion, WRONG!

I think the fact it tilts you forward and you actually feel like you are falling to the ground envokes a massive rush of fear upon you - it actually had me shaking afters! I actually thought I was going to be sick!

I really love Apocalypse. When I went to Drayton in 2008, my younger brother and I pretty much whored the stand-up section for quite some time. :p The first 'true' drop tower I went on was Hurakan Condor at PortAventura in Spain, and that was truly amazing. There's also one at Terra Mítica, which isn't too bad, but I do prefer Poccy and HK. Also, there's a rather interesting drop tower at Flambards, called Skyraker 001, which is manufactured by SBF Rides of Italy. Essentially, it's the love child of a Roto-Drop tower and a Frog Hopper, but it's very good. One minor drawback with it, however, is the restraint. There's a metal bar at the bottom which, instead of sitting around the groin area, sits part of the way down the thigh, and isn't all that comfortable. Still, I enjoy the ride, and think it's a solid addition to the park (I believe it was installed in 2010), and the park hasn't really seen a proper thrill ride installed since Extreme Force in 2002 (basically a floorless Sky Master, but with only one arm instead of two). :)

The one. The only.

Scream01.jpg

Scream. The best drop tower I have ever experienced.

I've only recently managed to force myself on drop towers, very much a love hate thing.

Apocalypse was incredible, but then I love Detonator and it's force amazes me every time.

I suppose Mystery Castle/Tower of Terror don't count here? If so they wipe the floor... :p

Absolutely love them, probably the only ride type that still fills me with fear (Aside from anything made by S&S) I am fine with heights, but drop towers still get me every time!

My one theme park aim right now is probably to get on this BEAST!!!

01061020-20liseberg_148339982.jpg

The One and Only, Atmosfear at Liseberg!!! <3

Scream is very similar to Atmosfear and is amazing.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk