• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Duel: The Haunted House Actually Strikes Back - Refurb Incoming

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Id love them to give it a towers theme, create a story about how the towers were once owned by an Earl and his family and how an accident on Friday the 13th caused the Towers Crypt to open and the ancestors escaped

make the entrance area more of a pre-show, get some better projection mapping and then the ride is redone to make it feel like you are escaping the haunted house with jump scares etc

Id love them to give it a towers theme, create a story about how the towers were once owned by an Earl and his family and how an accident on Friday the 13th caused the Towers Crypt to open and the ancestors escaped

make the entrance area more of a pre-show, get some better projection mapping and then the ride is redone to make it feel like you are escaping the haunted house with jump scares etc

Isn't that essentially Hex though? Okay the story is a bit different but you get what I mean with it being about the Towers and the Earl.

I don't see them doing anything like that personally. They probably won't do anything and leave it to rot and get worse for a good few years as yet no doubt.

Blackpool spent £5m on Wallace and Gromit I think which is no means a world class dark ride obviously but they had to gut the entire building.

They didn't gut the building, loads of the gold mine theming and rockwork is still in place in the tunnels between scenes.

The Ghostbusters Franchise being revived might actually make this off the cuff comment a real possibility too. I would be amazed if it has not at least been brought up at Merlin HQ already even if they decided to not do it in the end. However with the new film soon out and rumour of at least one more after that it would probably make a lot of sense for the park to do it. It's a money making franchise. Everyone loves ghostbusters right?

I agree the Ghostbusters would be a great ride, but I don't know how easily Sony/Colombia license? I know there was a Ghostbusters show at Universal back in the 90s though.

They didn't gut the building, loads of the gold mine theming and rockwork is still in place in the tunnels between scenes.

I agree the Ghostbusters would be a great ride, but I don't know how easily Sony/Colombia license? I know there was a Ghostbusters show at Universal back in the 90s though.

Merlin already have a Ghostbusters shooting dark ride at Heide Park, so I imagine it would be entirely possible for them to extend the deal to include an attraction at Alton Towers.

UXDxzAs.jpg

Merlin already have a Ghostbusters shooting dark ride at Heide Park, so I imagine it would be entirely possible for them to extend the deal to include an attraction at Alton Towers.

UXDxzAs.jpg

and that actually looks like they could even re-use some of the existing ghosts from the Haunted House.

So yes if Merlin/Heide have the deal with Sony Colombia it should be easy enough to port it to Alton Towers.

It's a money making franchise. Everyone loves ghostbusters right?

This is inexplicably my second Ghostbusters post in a while, but I think the appeal of the franchise is overestimated by nerds on the internet. The last one underperformed and the upcoming sequel proper has been held on the shelf by the studio for ages, then dropped in the relative dead zone of November, before busy Christmas season and after the more obvious bustin' period of Halloween. I think Merlin would be wise to wait and see how it does, especially with younger audiences.

Otherwise, agreed that it's an obvious choice for a reliable IP, even if it'll require a little bit of shoehorning to fit with Gloomy Wood. I'd hate to lose the house facade.

This is inexplicably my second Ghostbusters post in a while, but I think the appeal of the franchise is overestimated by nerds on the internet. The last one underperformed and the upcoming sequel proper has been held on the shelf by the studio for ages, then dropped in the relative dead zone of November, before busy Christmas season and after the more obvious bustin' period of Halloween. I think Merlin would be wise to wait and see how it does, especially with younger audiences.

Otherwise, agreed that it's an obvious choice for a reliable IP, even if it'll require a little bit of shoehorning to fit with Gloomy Wood. I'd hate to lose the house facade.

Few points....

The last one (the all women cast) was an abomination no doubt. Not because it was all women per say but because it was a truly awful movie and had the truly awful Melissa McCarthy in it. I think having teeth removed is more fun than her 'comedy'.

The franchise is nearly 40 years old yet people still buy the lego sets, the playmobil sets etc. I think you'll be shocked how popular it still is. You just watch how much merch you see over the next 12 months with the new film out.

The new film has been pushed back a few times but was meant to be released July 2020 in the summer Blockbuster spot but Covid ruined that so I wouldn't read too much into the November billing either. They clearly thought it had potential for the summer Blockbuster season so I think it will be a lot lot better than the all women one. Certainly hope so anyway otherwise it will be dreadful.

They installed CATCF just after the Tim Burton version, so it's entirely plausible that they'd consider doing this sort of thing again.

In fairness, it's one of the few IPs that I'd be pretty happy to see applied as long as they don't touch the facade.

I believe Ghostbusters was once looked at for Duel but it fell through... so it went to Heide.

Good to know.

Wouldn't bet against them revisiting those plans if the new movie goes well. It would be a relatively cheap makeover of a ride in dire need of TLC and also a potential cash cow IP. I could see loads of merch being sold on park with a Ghostbusters IP personally. I'm not really one for park merch myself but even I'd be tempted with a Ghostbusters - Towers t-shirt.

All just wishful thinking right now but if anyone in the creative team is reading this please get it brought up again. ;)

I know the discussion has moved on but Ghostbusters theming would be problematic. Unlike Gloomy Wood, the gargoyles, the tombstones and gravestones and graveyard aesthetic and HH facade, Ghostbusters takes place in a NYC urban / city scape setting. It's not at all a trivial matter to convert and overhaul and would be a major undertaking.

In any case, AT needs more dark rides. If there was to be such a ride it should be in addition to HH / Duel and not instead of.

Ghostbusters the ride [with the "Slime" mascot] would be perfect in CBBC land. Let the kids fumble / wave about their silly plastic toys. :p

Last edited:
I know the discussion has moved on but Ghostbusters theming would be problematic. Unlike Gloomy Wood, the gargoyles, the tombstones and gravestones and graveyard aesthetic and HH facade, Ghostbusters takes place in a NYC urban / city scape setting. It's not at all a trivial matter to convert and overhaul and would be a major undertaking.

The Ghostbusters get called out to bust a ghost in a rural mansion. job done.

The idea of a Ghostbusters IP sounds great on paper, absolutely!!! But in the last 10 years, IPs make up of a huge amount of attractions here in the UK, which just makes them feel filler personally, not gonna lie.

Honestly, they should just revert it back to the HH, I mean. Next year, it'll be The Haunted Houses 30th anniversary, and it is feasible for Merlin to revert it back to its original state for the celebration. Like how Tussauds managed to Convert it into Duel during the 2002 closed season, they very well could do that again, but the other way around, all they have to do is bring back a few Former Spark employees, knock down the finale with the zombie's and blasters, return that to the swamp scene, change the lighting, make up some replica model props, and finally remove the Laser system, counting the targets. Boom! You have the return of a Wardley Classic!

The idea of a Ghostbusters IP sounds great on paper, absolutely!!! But in the last 10 years, IPs make up of a huge amount of attractions here in the UK, which just makes them feel filler personally, not gonna lie.

Honestly, they should just revert it back to the HH, I mean. Next year, it'll be The Haunted Houses 30th anniversary, and it is feasible for Merlin to revert it back to its original state for the celebration. Like how Tussauds managed to Convert it into Duel during the 2002 closed season, they very well could do that again, but the other way around, all they have to do is bring back a few Former Spark employees, knock down the finale with the zombie's and blasters, return that to the swamp scene, change the lighting, make up some replica model props, and finally remove the Laser system, counting the targets. Boom! You have the return of a Wardley Classic!
And it would be very popular! Although I don't think it'll happen I love this idea dn is relitively cheap and easy in principle. Does anyone know what happened to spark?
I know I'd be popular because even my mum, who is no way an enthusiast, says duel is rubbish and it was better as the haunted house. In fact she says it was the best haunted house she'd been on and says they should rip out the guns and sort it out. I think there must be a decent amount of people who'd like it back and another decent amount of youngsters who'd like to see what it was like after being told be there parents as I was as a kid.

Sadly, Spark Studios HQ was destroyed in the early 2000s in a fire. Destroying most of the props and archive photos. So yeah, the only way to fully replicate the original HH, you'll need former Spark Employees, and mean A LOT. Counting the surviving footage and Behind the Scenes Photos.

You're right on how it'll be hugely popular on its grand reopening, and be a lot more successful and busy than DUEL, since people will actually know its a Ghost Train, not just a sign saying DUEL!!! With almost unreadable words reading 'The Haunted Houses Strikes Back' LOL.
All we can do is hope for something to happen in the future...
OR start a petition for It to go back to the Haunted House XD

Last edited:
Sadly, Spark Studios HQ was destroyed in the early 2000s in a fire. Destroying most of the props and archive photos. So yeah, the only was to fully replicate the original HH, you'll need former Spark Employees, and mean A LOT. Counting the survives footage and Behind the Scenes Photos.

You're right on how it'll be hugely popular on its grand reopening, and be a lot more successful and busy than DUEL, since people will actually know its a Ghost Train, not just a sign saying DUEL!!! With almost unreadable words reading 'The Haunted Houses Strikes Back' LOL.
All we can do is hope for something to happen in the future...
OR start a petition for It to go back to the Haunted House XD
I imagine the park can just ask John Wardley. I'd imagine he has a copy of a story board or something. Anyway it doesn't have to be am exact copy and I don't think anyone would mind it being a little different. Also with a grand re-opening I believe it was Philip Schofield and I'm sure they'd be able to get him in although he'd probably cost a bomb these days.
Do I think they'll do it though?
Unfortunately I don't think they'll be doing it anytime soon so I doubt it'll be done for the 30th anniversary however I think they should look into it for the future. I think if it was going to happen next year I think we'd at least have heard rumours something was happening to Duel. I think the park must be well aware it's in need of work and are perhaps in talks with higher-up Merlin to do something about in at some point however that could be 5 years away realistically. I do think something like this could/should be considered as like you say people love retro/nostalgic things and if they market it right I think it'd be a smash hit. Possibly bringing almost as many people as an SW with considerably less money needed. If the park can market travelling fun fair rides as a retro squad and convince the entire general public I'm sure they can market a returning attraction and make people visit.

I imagine the park can just ask John Wardley. I'd imagine he has a copy of a story board or something. Anyway it doesn't have to be am exact copy and I don't think anyone would mind it being a little different. Also with a grand re-opening I believe it was Philip Schofield and I'm sure they'd be able to get him in although he'd probably cost a bomb these days.
Do I think they'll do it though?
Unfortunately I don't think they'll be doing it anytime soon so I doubt it'll be done for the 30th anniversary however I think they should look into it for the future. I think if it was going to happen next year I think we'd at least have heard rumours something was happening to Duel. I think the park must be well aware it's in need of work and are perhaps in talks with higher-up Merlin to do something about in at some point however that could be 5 years away realistically. I do think something like this could/should be considered as like you say people love retro/nostalgic things and if they market it right I think it'd be a smash hit. Possibly bringing almost as many people as an SW with considerably less money needed. If the park can market travelling fun fair rides as a retro squad and convince the entire general public I'm sure they can market a returning attraction and make people visit.
It was Philip Scofield and Michaela Strachan. :)

Last edited:
Honestly... I think a lot of the love for the Haunted House is overstated.

I was on ATA and Park Life (which was the TowersTimes forum before TTF) in 2002, and had my first visit that season. There was no outpouring of loss for the Haunted House at the time. It was generally seen as half broken from what I remember (although it was certainly a lot less broken then than now). Large stretches had nothing on them at all where failed effects had been turned off.

It certainly wasn't a particularly popular ride at that point either.

It was only in the years that followed that sites like HauntedOne turned up, which did an excellent job at explaining what the ride was supposed to be like at its very best. I don't know that it ever actually was like that though, and the fact the ride was twiddled with almost every year for the next 10 years suggests to me that if there ever was a period that it was brilliant, it was shortlived. Whatever the accepted reality is nowadays, the fact is that many of the effects of the original ride were removed or changed - in other words failed.

I can't see a full scale internal redo ever happening. It's too big to be palatable, when you look at the size of the Gangland Grandmother ride on Cred Street you see how far ambitions have come down since 1992.

Better to look forwards than back even if it was on the cards.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.