• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Duel: The Haunted House Actually Strikes Back - Refurb Incoming

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I think a lot of the issues with the arms and mechanics being on show is a mixture of bad lighting which has been changed over the years, some sections are still lit up really badly. And also a lot of the bits which were added during the duel change over, such as the zombies which fling out during various sections.
A simple relight can make all the difference my friend, for the better or worst.

A relighting is never simple my friend. It is a highly skilled job to be carried out by experienced people. Alton Towers already made the mistake of assuming it was simple - making it 10x worse in the process.
Sorry, I meant simple as simple in a professional set designers eyes.

Obviously it isn't simple to us simple minded people.

But still, even I can see a few of where the lights are coming from on the Haunted House, like the busts light before the Grand Hall, which seems to have a cyan light located behind the arch above it within the ceiling. The Grand Hall Demon has 2 sets of lights, both located behind the mirrors, one red and one green, with both pointing diagonally where the Ghoul will spring at you.

The 2nd Demon seems to have a heavy coat of Blacklight as it's whole body seems to be equally illuminated all around itself.

I do hope that Duel is enhanced. It'd be nice to have it back without the shooting aspect. 😊

Maybe some projection mapping and tidying up. Oh, and a working Trommel. 🤔

Would be disappointed to see an IP dropped into it. 😔
No ride should be Replaced with an IP, excluding Universal and Disney rides :/

If you want to have a look on what Duel looked like before it had its blasters, here's a link below when it was just called "The Haunted House" Here theres a lot more animations, and a plus, the trommel worked.

For me, Screens or Projections ruin experiences on Dark Rides. They work well on Roller Coasters, but not a slow moving dark ride, as you can tell its obviously fake and takes you out of the immersion.

Last edited:
No ride should be Replaced with an IP, excluding Universal and Disney rides :/

If you want to have a look on what Duel looked like before it had its blasters, here's a link below when it was just called "The Haunted House" Here there a lot more animations, and a plus, the trommel worked.

For me, Screens or Projections ruin experiences on Dark Rides. They work well on Roller Coasters, but not a slow moving dark ride, as you can tell its obviously fake and takes you out of the immersion.

Sad watching that knowing that we had one of the greatest dark rides in the world there.

I have always said it in a ideal world that Thirteen would have been built in Gloomy Wood with Haunted House at the same time being restored to former glory with Nemesis Sub Terra being built as a Mack shooter dark ride and not a poorly planned drop tower ride. In all, something that would have gone well for all concerned.

I really wish there was a thread on here that could allow me to put up my alternative history view of Towers as I have so much to say that is cramped inside my head. :(

Where would you fit 13? I'm not sure any of the trees around there can be felled?

Sad watching that knowing that we had one of the greatest dark rides in the world there.

I have always said it in a ideal world that Thirteen would have been built in Gloomy Wood with Haunted House at the same time being restored to former glory with Nemesis Sub Terra being built as a Mack shooter dark ride and not a poorly planned drop tower ride. In all, something that would have gone well for all concerned.

I really wish there was a thread on here that could allow me to put up my alternative history view of Towers as I have so much to say that is cramped inside my head. :(
Feel free to start your own thread in the relevant area to discuss your own, and our, ideal plans for the park 😀

I do agree with thirteen though - whilst it wasn’t possible to build the ride in that area it would’ve fitted in perfectly. Ug Land should have never gone in my opinion - there’s nothing wrong with an upbeat area with thrill rides - something that Merlin don’t seem to understand.

It is a true shame indeed that this great ride only lasted for 10 years, and with Theme Park Worldwides latest statement about Duel on his latest AT vlog, I'm incredibly nervous about it's future. Either they're gonna close it for a few months and get it ready for Scarefest, bring Back The Haunted House, or demolish this important ride for a new Dark Ride filled with IPs and Screens.

As much as I hate the idea of Having Th13teen in Gloomy Woods, with the expense of the Haunted House still around, its more than worth it :).

Let's just hope, whoever replaced Nick Varney has a very similar mindset and Passion with the UK Parks, or more.
Feel free to start your own thread in the relevant area to discuss your own, and our, ideal plans for the park 😀

I do agree with thirteen though - whilst it wasn’t possible to build the ride in that area it would’ve fitted in perfectly. Ug Land should have never gone in my opinion - there’s nothing wrong with an upbeat area with thrill rides - something that Merlin don’t seem to understand.
Already done a thread to our own Theme Park ideas :), its in the Rest of the WorldsParks group.

Last edited:
Where would you fit 13? I'm not sure any of the trees around there can be felled?
Going off topic from Duel but...I was basing the idea on the fake Vekoma coaster bike/broom concept some of us will remember and even though it might not have been possible, I was always fascinated by it in that if they had somehow managed to tastefully blend the ride into the area then not only it would have worked, with a likely different layout to what we got, but also giving GW a breath of new life.

After all, we all saw when Smiler opened that they gave Oblivion some TLC and I've no doubt the same would have happened to Duel had Thirteen been built in the GW.

It is a true shame indeed that this great ride only lasted for 10 years, and with Theme Park Worldwides latest statement about Duel on his latest AT vlog, I'm incredibly nervous about it's future. Either they're gonna close it for a few months and get it ready for Scarefest, bring Back The Haunted House, or demolish this important ride for a new Dark Ride filled with IPs and Screens.

As much as I hate the idea of Having Th13teen in Gloomy Woods, with the expense of the Haunted House still around, its more than worth it :).

Let's just hope, whoever replaced Nick Varney has a very similar mindset and Passion with the UK Parks, or more.

Already done a thread to our own Theme Park ideas :), its in the Rest of the WorldsParks group.
What did Theme Park Worldwide say about Duel?

Your welcome ;)

What did Theme Park Worldwide say about Duel?

He said that Duel was in a terrible state and only half the Targets were working, he also showed the poor condition of the Exit corridor, with earache all over the floor. He says that he think there's some work coming to Duel soon. And sooner or later when we know who's the new Merlin CEO, we'll know he/she wants done to the Parks and rides.

Ah was just coming to reference Shawn's comments in his last vlog about Duel - what are the actual rumours? He alludes to this again in his latest SM post, as two skeletons have appeared in the entrance hall.

Ah was just coming to reference Shawn's comments in his last vlog about Duel - what are the actual rumours? He alludes to this again in his latest SM post, as two skeletons have appeared in the entrance hall.
What's a SM?

Secondly, there's Skeletons in Duels Vestibule? Am I getting that right?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.