• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Duel: The Haunted House Actually Strikes Back - Refurb Incoming

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I actually think the discussion of Duel and “bringing back” the Haunted House is an interesting one, because technically, the Haunted House still exists. The ride system, queue, facade and most of the theming are still there. It’s not like the ride was removed in 2002; a lot of the original ride still exists, yet the HH and Duel are treated as totally separate entities (that’s not a criticism; I frequently do it myself!).

I do wonder whether the debate about bringing HH back would be so fierce if they had removed it in 2002 and replaced it with a brand new, totally ground up interactive dark ride in 2003. For people who are keen to see the original ride bought back; do you feel that the fact that the HH technically still exists makes you yearn for it to be revived more?

As in this guy, yes
Yeah thought so, I only called him the swamp monster because he was originally intended to be in the swamp scene on a bridge and pop up, unfortunately they couldn't get the effect to work when it was the Haunted House. Hence he is where he is now. Below is a photo from the Smoke and Mirrors book, which is a brilliant read by the way.

Attachments

• 20220528_180528.jpg
    20220528_180528.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 29
Yeah thought so, I only called him the swamp monster because he was originally intended to be in the swamp scene on a bridge and pop up, unfortunately they couldn't get the effect to work when it was the Haunted House. Hence he is where he is now. Below is a photo from the Smoke and Mirrors book, which is a brilliant read by the way.
I've got it, indeed it is a Brilliant book, and it made me appreciate the Haunted House even more than I did before.

I can’t find it on RightMove… where are these people looking?

It wouldn’t surprise me if they have done this, though; Merlin did it before to promote Room on the Broom at Chessington.

So apparently, Duel is up for sale on RightMove.

I think it's pretty indefinite that something is hallening to Duel, and very soon, why tease this so early?

Apparently the owner is a Mr F Jackson, it's definitely this is some sort of elaborate enthusiast joke, albeit a pretty funny one at that.

P.S. Look at the other tweets by that account.

Last edited:
Wouldn't be hard to spoof this.

Why do people assume something must happen with Duel? TPWW make money off videos so just made a video on an easy subject swirling around to get them clicks. The ride itself works enough in Towers eyes quite clearly. The queue has just had money spent on it etc.

Wouldn't be hard to spoof this.

Why do people assume something must happen with Duel? TPWW make money off videos so just made a video on an easy subject swirling around to get them clicks. The ride itself works enough in Towers eyes quite clearly. The queue has just had money spent on it etc.

Totally agree

Haven’t and won’t watch the video
What’s the summary of what was said

Totally agree

Haven’t and won’t watch the video
What’s the summary of what was said
Nothing much mate, just spoke about the effects not working and the exit corridors carpet in a state. Then went on to say that he used to work there and knows that if they let something rot its probably having something done to it. Spoke about the possibility of a ghostbusters IP but hopes it returns to the Haunted House.

I feel kinda sorry to discover John Wardley has had to read this thread and after everyone has decided they each know best what to do with the ride, probably regrets opening it in the first place.

I think this misses a point slightly. The only reason people have such strong views and ideas of what they would like to do with the ride, is because the ride lives on deeply in peoples minds and memories. The fact people have these strong ideas 30 years later, is testament to how good of an attraction it once was and how much it is loved, even now. A rubbish and long forgotten attraction would not be getting this much attention and ideas from it's fans 30 years on.

Personally, I would be thrilled if after 30 years, people had their own ideas of what to do with my attraction when the inevitable happens, which is decided by neither John or the fans.

I think that is the crucial part, if the ride is rebuilt / themed, it will not be the fans, it will not be John (assuming he stays in retirement). We are only giving our ideas on what is almost inevitable at this point. Surely if there were regrets (which I doubt there is, as what you mention shows the opposite in my opinion). Then the regret would be aimed at the people who mis managed, let decay and then ultimately rip the attraction out. Not because of fans loving the ride and having their opinion on what is more than likely coming,

Last edited:
Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.