• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Duel: The Haunted House Actually Strikes Back - Refurb Incoming

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
With no disrespect meant towards the team that attempted to improve it for 2018 I do question if there was much point making the changes if it couldn’t be completed due to lack of money.

Was it ever considered to just fix bits of pre 2018 that weren’t working / needed maintenance. Getting the trommel working would of been a great start.

What I want to know is why on the last few rides I've had has the guns stopped before we reach the finale (which is quite long to sit through) is this happening to everyone?
I find that if the middle scene before the trommell is working then the end scene doesn’t. But the last few times there’s been none working approaching the trommel but you can shoot right up until you’re back in the station.

It's just a massive shame. Just think what doom and sons was like 20 odd years ago and this is where we are now. I thought things were always supposed to improve with time? With new learning and new technology development. I'm sure I heard there was supposed to be a budget set aside to improve duel years ago but merlin opted for NST and we all know what happened with that!

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

The best outcomes involve 2 options. 1: Towers actually listen to @BritishThemeParkArchive and use those original notes from Sparks (?) to recreate a Haunted House very loyal to the original. 2: The whole thing is demolished, and we get lucky like with Wickerman, and the creative team aren't stifled by Merlin, and create a nice dark ride to replace it.

Yeah the new music isn't nearly as characteristic as the original, but still quite creative I think (a lot of the subtlties seem to get lost by the current poor condition of the sound system). It gets playful and dramatic in different places, got good melody instead of just 'themed muzak'. So I'm just glad it wasn't as cliched as it easily could have been.

It would be fantastic to totally restore the ride to its original opening state, but (even if that was something Merlin would do) it would need to go even better to last. Retain that hands-on style (big, detailed and not a digital feel) but ramp it up a few notches. Like the way the original was imagined but with less technical restrictions and more dynamic for today.

The second option to tear it out and start again would inevitably end up with an even more bland ride than Duel is now, since the kind of money and creative resources it takes to pull off such a huge, detailed dark ride is something Merlin simply does not commit to. It also costs much more to do that kind of attraction today.

Even Gruffalo, which is a decent childrens ride and has nice touches (in a similarly sized building) is full of dead spots and its most memorable parts just borrow off bits left over from the old ride. Either that or it's all screens and flat sets.

So I think in the meantime, what could really improve Duel on a smaller budget would be to nail the sound, lighting and timing of the animations, in a way that really got to grips with the ride and transformed it. It could have a much wider appeal than it does currently.

Forgive me for dragging this topic up from the dead.

I recently saw a ride that Merlin are adding to Legoland New York, which is a trackless dark ride themed around a Lego Factory, from ETF rides.

Of course this is just closed season armchair imagineering from me, but it got me thinking that the Duel building could be a good location for a similar ride system. Lets face it, as it stands Duel is in a dire state and has been for some time. It is actually pretty embarrassing for the UK's leading theme park to have a ride in this condition still operating.

I know investment levels at Merlin parks aren't great right now, however the fact the show building, shop, façade and infrastructure such as queue lines etc are already in place means they can focus on the actual ride itself.

Personally I am a big fan of Symbolica at Efteling - now I know Merlin would never pull something like this off. However something in the same vein would be a good fit for Alton Towers. A true family ride - how about instead of a Haunted House in the woods as it is now, with a bit of tweaking to the façade it could become a fantasy/magical house in the woods where strange/odd/bizarre/magical things happen where riders take a tour.

Of course it's Merlin so an IP would be needed for any new dark ride - can anyone think of one that would fit?

Duel just needs a few million spending on it. Get Mack to modernise the control systems and get Merlin Studios to enhance and improve the theming.

There's still such potential behind that wonderful facade.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

it could become a fantasy/magical house in the woods where strange/odd/bizarre/magical things happen where riders take a tour.
This was the gist of the Haunted House when it opened anyway and that sort of ride system 'exploring the house' was pretty much what they were going for when the original was dreamt up. It would be trackless if done today, I think it would be a brilliant idea!

I actually had a really fun time riding Duel in September, for the first time in about 5 or 6 years; I thought it was a fun attraction with some really great theming, although it did make me jump a lot! So by that token, I don’t personally think it needs major work doing to it; it’s fine as it is, in my opinion.

With regards to the trackless suggestions, however; I must admit I really like the idea of a spooky-themed trackless dark ride using modern technology being built around the same sort of idea as the Haunted House and many other, older haunted house style attractions like the Haunted Mansion (aka exploring a spooky mansion). It’s certainly something I’ve tried to build in Planet Coaster a number of times! A spooky house-themed trackless dark ride is an idea I must admit I’m a huge fan of, and I would really like to see a park pull off something like this in the future.

Given a big enough budget, you could probably put an excellent ETF trackless dark ride in the building if you wanted to. Merlin have been putting small ones in their LDCs for years and the new Legoland in New York is getting a larger one so it's not beyond their means.

My preference would be to retain the existing ride system and refurbish/retheme it. I've always thought it to be an excellent ride system for it's time, though I'd imagine the on-board technology must be hopelessly outdated by now which could limit its remaining life.

The big problem they got now is how they market it as back in the 90s the queue use to fill the whole of the outdoor section but now it’s really just become the IP park for kids under 1.2m with CBeebies and David Williams.
1.2m to 1.4m who want more thrilling but not tall enough for the big rides.
1.4m Young adults+ The big coasters.
Duel really need to get rid of the LED lighting and make it more interactive instead so when you hit a target it moves/pops out. Drayton Manor do it well with there shootout ride so Merlin with there budgets could easily make Duel even better,
The thing holding Merlin back is themselves as the only place they got competition is Blackpool.

I would hate to see duel go for good, a season spent closed for refurbishment would be the best option, even though it’s a must do for me every visit on my walk to or from nemesis... it really has become tired.
However I do enjoy the shooting element and the competition between groups is great fun; major updates on props and special effects are needed, some of the modern options for special Effects are absolutely stunning nowadays, as shown by holovis with the Wickerman preshow. Maybe a more story based feel to it with some projection mapping and updated animatronics would be better, with slow or stationary sections to showcase the story, however I don’t think this is possible with the current transit system as it could ruin capacity?

Is it just me, or do anyone else's arms get tired when holding the blaster? I start off strongly then have to rest after a few minutes, thus getting a low score. :oops:
I actually feel that the layout is too long for the blaster element.

some of the modern options for special Effects are absolutely stunning nowadays, as shown by holovis with the Wickerman preshow.
It's great but wouldnt call that an example of cutting edge. But then Haunted House doesnt need to be cutting edge, it just needs to be really fun and entertaining.

You're right the ride could really suit some sort of Mystic Manor type projection effect here and there as long as it wasnt just for the sake of it. It needs a full rework with a good vision.

Maybe a more story based feel to it with some projection mapping and updated animatronics would be better, with slow or stationary sections to showcase the story, however I don’t think this is possible with the current transit system as it could ruin capacity?
Us enthusiasts always seem to think adding a "story" improves rides these days. A dark ride needs a great theme with some sort of progression from start to finish, but it doesnt have to literally tell a story. I think this sort of literal interpretation is really not what entertains the public, especially slowing down the pace to tell some story.

If it had some sort of fun setup maybe, as long as it doesnt get in the way of just enjoying the ride. Not like the TV screens and Dr Roodyn backstory it had before which added nothing.

Is it just me, or do anyone else's arms get tired when holding the blaster? I start off strongly then have to rest after a few minutes, thus getting a low score. :oops:
I actually feel that the layout is too long for the blaster element.

I very rarely use the laser guns nowadays, I just sit back and enjoy the ride, it surprising how much of the ride you miss when using the guns. The only time I get the guns out, and that if the ride temporary stops, then I just keep shooting the yellow (?) high scoring lights, it's surprising when the ride has stop how much points you can accumulate just keep shooting the yellow ones, more than often, more points than if you were shooting throughout the whole ride.

Yes, not only does my arms get tired when using the guns, but also my trigger finger too

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.