• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Eating at Splash Landing Hotel

Camillacfc

TS Member
Hi,

I am looking forward to my stay at Splash Landings Hotel tomorrow for the Swashbucklers weekend. There are 2 adults (we don't have big appetites) a 15 yr old, 13 yr old and 5 yr old and I am just wondering if it is best to take our own food to eat in our rooms or for us to eat at the all you can eat buffet, which at approx £20 each + £10 for the youngest seems a bit steep, or would you say its worth it?

Thanks for taking the time to read this :)

You could try the new pizza place at the back of Ma Garrita's! I don't rate Flambos at all, although I know others love it. If you're not big eaters you definitely won't get your money's worth. Check out the menu at Secret Garden, that might be better value :)

I'd say that £20 all-you-can-eat is good value compared to the Secret Garden. Especially with fussy teenagers :p And I'll disagree with Pixie that you DO get your moneys worth. Even with smaller appetites.

The food quality is good to excellent and the choice is great. There is the added bonus that if you/your children don't like something, they can get something else.

The SGR is certainly not good value, and lately the food hasn't been up to much, and its no cheaper than Flambo's when you have a starter/desert.

The atmosphere of the two places is completely different though, maybe if it was just the two of you going, you may find it a bit 'busy' in Flambo's, but for the age of your children I'd say its about a perfect compromise. Friendly staff, efficient service, and of course, nice food with LOADS of choice.

Assuming you don't visit much, I'd recommend going the 'whole-hog' and eating at one of the restaurants, it certainly adds to your stay, I feel.

If you are considering visiting again, It may be worth looking in to an Annual Pass whilst on resort, even for one or two people, this would entitle you to 25% off the total bill for your whole party. This also applies to any other purchases made on resort. (not to mention your 12 months entry.)

I hope you enjoy your stay.

Personally I would eat at secret garden you can get a starter, main and drink for less than £20 per adult but also there's shops selling pix and mix and other stuff

josht said:
Personally I would eat at secret garden you can get a starter, main and drink for less than £20 per adult but also there's shops selling pix and mix and other stuff

Thanks Josh, that was my point. I don't particularly like the food in Flambo's and at Secret Garden I pay less for one decent meal that I know I will enjoy. Plus you have to pay extra for your drinks at Flambo's so you have to factor that in to the price, along with the fact that by the time your drinks arrive you will have pretty much finished your meal anyway :(

Pixie-Ro said:
josht said:

Thanks Josh, that was my point. I don't particularly like the food in Flambo's and at Secret Garden I pay less for one decent meal that I know I will enjoy. Plus you have to pay extra for your drinks at Flambo's so you have to factor that in to the price, along with the fact that by the time your drinks arrive you will have pretty much finished your meal anyway :(
It's a good point really it is cheap if you don't have steak

One advantage of Flambo's (if you're having soft drinks) is that fizzys are refillable.

I have gone off it recently as I've had some poor experiences of the food but from what people on the recent TS meet were saying, it's now had a bit of a quality improvement with some additions like some nice continental meats and so on.

£20 might seem steep but you're essentially paying for an unlimited three course meal.

I'm not a fan of Flambos at all, except for breakfast. I don't feel like I've ever had my money's worth there. The food just isn't appetising enough for me to want to eat much of it. It's too chaotic for me too. I much prefer Secret Garden.

Scott said:
One advantage of Flambo's (if you're having soft drinks) is that fizzys are refillable.

I have gone off it recently as I've had some poor experiences of the food but from what people on the recent TS meet were saying, it's now had a bit of a quality improvement with some additions like some nice continental meats and so on.

£20 might seem steep but you're essentially paying for an unlimited three course meal.

I agree, Flambos is poor.

However I don't think that it being an all you can eat buffet in anyway justifys the quite frankly ridiculous price of £20 a head. The food is poor quality and, from what I've read, the selection has been cut back even further. That majority of families that stay at the hotels have already paid far over the odds for just a one night stay with only breakfast included. Now they have to stump up £20 each plus whatever it costs for a child's buffet (£17?) for what is frankly dire food. Compare that to somewhere like a Red Hot Buffet Shack where the choice is much better (Chinese, Indian, Mexican, Italian & Thai) and the price can be as little as £8.50!

I would much rather eat in SGR as the food is a lot nicer and the surroundings are more pleasant. I'd rather pay the same price for decent food than fork out for tosh in a busy , crowded hell hole.

Flambos is overpriced, overcooked, bland crap. It always has and always will be. :)

I've always found food at Flambo's to be excellent, all you can eat on roast dinner is good and I loved the goat curry. But I haven't been since they moved the food counters around. £20 per adult plus £2-3 for drinks does seem a lot but if you eat three courses worth of food it is worth it, I've always left feeling full.
If you only want mains then goto Secret Garden or the pizza place. Alternatively there are several pubs in Alton village that do great food (check on Tripadvisor).

Hi I take my family with kids 11 and 9 - not particularly fussy eaters either.

I will only eat in SGR (also have you seen The SGR Winter Menu.

I think £20 a head for a buffet is ridiculous, I find Flambos very loud, unfriendly and the layout poor. SGR is certainly more of a 'grown up' venue, but not one that isn't great for kids - this is ultimately a family hotel. There is a cheaper children's menu and its a much nicer place in my eyes and waiter service is always better than elbowing a stranger for a greasy burger under a heat lamp.

Not that SGR is cheap either - a main, desert and drink would easily set you back over £20 a head for adults!

It's nice, but still vastly overpriced.

I don't think with discount it is that bad.

It's more the awful noise that I hate.