• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Entrance Price Increase.. AGAIN!!

busey_clapping.gif

£50 entrance fee, here we come!

This is a bit of a misnomer, since something like 90% of people use BOGOFs. So the real price for people who aren't morons has now risen to £22.50, which still isn't that bad. Europa for adults is €37.50 walk-up price, nearly £30.

The problem is, they've trapped themselves into a corner with the BOGOF thing. They just need to take the leap one year and quietly halve the entrance price and do away with BOGOFs.

If they were to remove a large chuck of BOGOFS they would still keep them on the midway attractions even if it does mean removing the themeparks from it, afterall they can run promotions much like Drayton Manor have done this year such as £20 tickets and along those lines.

Ah great. Wonderfully facepalm. Great logic Towers, unless it was Merlin's decision. STOP INVESTING INTO NEW PRODUCTS AND HELP YOUR DIEING CURRENT ONES.

It's ridiculous that they'd do this now considering that it's a really low summer and with promotions galore to reel guests in the prices should be going DOWN at least for summer. Not up. I am sickened by this from a GP members point of view. Families are being more and more money stressed and a getaway won't help with robbing their pockets.

I will not be visiting any Merlin park now for my pockets sake unless on some sort of discounted offer at it is just merely ridiculous. Please cut on the park instead by keeping the price the same. I can't believe I am saying this but to prevent anything lower than 8,000 and to cutback. Harsh cuts have to be done.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if Spinball Noodles had reopened, my sources told me that it did but when I went it clearly hadn't.

They're in an extremely difficult situation now with the BOGOFs. Because, their ideal situation is where everybody comes with a BOGOF. But the problem is, you have to have the £45 advertised price, and that brings them really rubbish publicity.

But the problem with doing away with BOGOFs and halving the price is that it's great advertising, because people think they're getting a great deal. Putting them in the papers is vastly more effective than normal advertising would be in its place if the price was reduced to £22.50.

My best idea for a way out: they change to a system where it's £22.50 if you book online and £27.50 if you don't. Therefore people still think they're somehow getting a good deal, almost everyone will book online and make it easier for the park to plan closing times, and they don't have an absurdly high advertised price to worry about. That's the best way out of this I can think of.

As has been said by Sam alot of people don't pay full price to the park anyway as there are always BOGOF vouchers floating around during the season. I'm sure a stink will be kicked up again and they will revert to the price before the rise as they have done with most decisions this year.

Towers freak said:
As has been said by Sam alot of people don't pay full price to the park anyway as there are always BOGOF vouchers floating around during the season. I'm sure a stink will be kicked up again and they will revert to the price before the rise as they have done with most decisions this year.
I doubt it. Merlin have never gone back on price rises for tickets into the park, so I don't think they'll do that this time.

Do you reckon there is some justice behind this increase? I mean is it Merlin and there stock shares wanting more before the float? Trying to make every penny count?

Merlin are absolutely useless. They make cuts, u-turns, leave things to rot, let people down after hype & empty peoples wallets just to have a good time in this economic crisis!

I say sell to "Sea World Parks". Theyr'e building a park in dubai, they own both busch parks. Why not expand to europe?

Sea world too are seeing difficult times, but at least they know how to deal with it. Alton & busch have many similarities as well as lots of potential. SW realize this & implement it in the right way.

Far fetched, but it would be cool eh?

;)

They won't remove the BOGOF's, it's too ingrained into the mindset of the public that not using them is somehow a bad deal - even if the original price is significantly lower. I agree it's not a great situation, but considering the likes of Busch Gardens in the US still charge more without BOGOF's per day - I don't think people should be getting too upset with Merlin.

Blizzard said:
I say sell to "Sea World Parks". Theyr'e building a park in dubai, they own both busch parks. Why not expand to europe?

Yes, because Alton Towers would fit right into the SeaWorld chain, since it contains almost no aquatic or ocean themed rides whatsoever. ::)

This topic is getting hysterical. If you want to discuss the viability of the current BOGOF strategy, by all means do so. I think it's very silly as well, and a discussion that needs to be had. But don't go berserk in here about them raising the entrance price for most people to £45.

For 90% of people, the entrance price has been raised to £22.50, which is a lot smaller increase, and quite reasonable for a park of this size. Discuss the dubious BOGOF strategy all you like, but it's not fair to misrepresent the park and pretend that this is the price people actually pay.

Sam said:
Blizzard said:

Yes, because Alton Towers would fit right into the SeaWorld chain, since it contains almost no aquatic or ocean themed rides whatsoever. ::)

This topic is getting hysterical. If you want to discuss the viability of the current BOGOF strategy, by all means do so. I think it's very silly as well, and a discussion that needs to be had. But don't go berserk in here about them raising the entrance price for most people to £45.

For 90% of people, the entrance price has been raised to £22.50, which is a lot smaller increase, and quite reasonable for a park of this size. Discuss the dubious BOGOF strategy all you like, but it's not fair to misrepresent the park and pretend that this is the price people actually pay.

Sea world own busch. Do they have any aquatic themed rides? No. Anyway, whats to say mutiny bay couldnt be turned into an aquatic area? The flume replaced with an Atlantis style ride. Sharkbait re-branded & the lake made use of with fountains.

Alton has lots of water, loads of it! Imagine air themed like manta? Not re-named, but given the tropical theming it was supposed to have had back in the day!

Ok, its a far - fetched idea, but my point is if they operated in europe, they would be ideal.
I'm merely suggesting the kind of management I'd like to see at the towers. Sea world fits.

;)

Busch and Sea World have the common link in the fact they showcase animals, whereas the only animals Alton showcase are the trolls at Merlin that pull off stunts like this. I can't see them ever taking over.

Danny said:
Busch and Sea World have the common link in the fact they showcase animals, whereas the only animals Alton showcase are the trolls at Merlin that pull off stunts like this. I can't see them ever taking over.

Fair point. Just though i'd through the idea in. I wasn't saying they might buy, I'm saying I'd like them to.

:)

Danny said:

Completely off topic I know, but, the showcasing of animals at Busch Gardens Williamsburg is minimal. They have a wolf show as well as a small number of other animals such as eagles but that is it. Alton have the farm so it's not too dissimilar. Also Water Country USA has no animals. Saying that I can't ever see SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment ever taking over Towers even if it is something I'd love to see.

Back on topic. £45 is a hell of a lot of money for a theme park at the moment with the economy as it is. I can see why Towers have done this as the vast majority of people paying on the day do use BOGOFs but £45 in the first place doesn't look good and it will only generate negative publicity and put people off from going.

:)