• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

European Road Trip July 2020

Burbs

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Iron Gwazi
@djtruefitt and myself were supposed to be doing a road trip in April of this year, which inevitably got cancelled a few weeks prior. However, with lockdown restrictions being lifted and no mandatory quarantine when travelling to many European countries, it was time to put our trip plans back into action! The original trip was supposed to be Toverland, Heide Park, Hansa Park, Fort Fun Abenteuerland, Walibi Belgium and Bellewaerde, though this had to be amended for a few reasons.

The final plan resulted in return Eurotunnel crossings (Folkestone to Calais), and a round trip consisting of: Walibi Belgium > Heide Park > Hansa Park > Movie Park Germany > Phantasialand, with a different hotel each night between each park. The middle 3 parks were brand new to both of us, and I also had never visited Walibi Belgium before. I'll be using this thread to air my views on the rides at each park over the next week, as well as commenting on how we found the COVID-19 measures and how they affected operations. So, on with the review!

Screenshot_47.png

Walibi Belgium - 14.07.20

I won't lie, I wasn't expecting much from this park. On paper there's 8 roller coasters, none of which look particularly great, and a handful of other bits. However, I really enjoyed my day here! I do enjoy a theme park set around a lake and there was plenty to do to keep us occupied. This was perhaps the best park of the trip for Coronavirus measures, with masks being encouraged around the park, and mandatory on all rides. The staff were great and were running the rides efficiently; we didn't wait more than 30 minutes for anything, with most things being 0-10 mins.

All coasters were using every row, albeit one group per row, which seemed to work pretty well and kept the queues moving, especially as it's only Pulsar (a high throughput ride anyway) with 4-across rows. As with all parks this week, there were 1.5m markers in all queue lines, although it didn't seem that many people were following this unfortunately, with some people desperate to get into your back pocket. That being said, aside from putting these markers out, there's not a whole lot staff can do to enforce it. The park was relatively quiet, so I presume there was quite a low capacity restriction - either that or the weather forecast put people off. Anyhow, this made for a very enjoyable day.

Rides

Calamity Mine
(x2)
This is the off-the-shelf model of Vekoma Mine Train. I'd heard poor things prior to visiting the park, but enjoyed it more than I thought I would, in fact I think I rate it slightly higher than Mammut at Gardaland. The first half is good fun with a couple of pops of airtime, although the second half is pretty dull.

Cobra (x1)
A very standard Vekoma Boomerang with original restraints. The theming seems much nicer in this area now than it did before and the ride fits in quite well with its beige colour scheme.

Loup-Garou (x1)
Also known as 'Werewolf', this is one of only 3 Vekoma wooden coasters ever built, all of which in the very early 2000s, and there's good reason for that. I got to ride Robin (in da) Hood at Walibi Holland back in 2018 before it got the RMC treatment, and Loup-Garou could really do with it too! It rattles like hell, is quite uncomfortable and does nothing of interest. Hopefully this will be the next ride to get some attention post-2021.

Psyké Undergound (x1)
My first Schwarzkopf Shuttle Loop, and I found it pretty fun! For some reason I wasn't aware of the forwards launch, expecting a backwards lift hill, which came as a nice surprise. The lighting inside the ride adds to the experience, but would have been nice to have some sound (like the Psyké Undergound song) rather than the silence we were greeted with on-ride instead.

Pulsar (x2)
A really, really fun ride! The turntable station is amazing to watch and makes the capacity of the ride really high. The launches are great, especially the second backwards one which whips you over that hill at such a rate. There was also an acceptable level of wetness on ride, if you sit in the middle seats. I'm not sure what theme they're going for with Pulsar though, it seems a little confused.

Vampire (x1)
The standard Vekoma SLC. Was exactly as expected, although possibly the best presented one I've ever seen. It's in its own little area of the park and surrounded by lots of trees and shrubbery.

Tiki-Waka (x2)
Honestly, I was expecting better from this Gerst Bob - a ride type I generally really like. Even when it's warmed up it's still pretty slow for most of the layout and is pretty forceless.

Fun Pilot (x1)
Walibi Belgium's newest roller coaster, a small Zierer Force which serves its purpose. This also happened to be my 200th coaster cred, carrying on my trend of completely unremarkable milestone coasters!

Flash Back (x1)
The log flume, with the same layout as Walibi Holland's, which incidentally I really like. Three drops, including one that's backwards and a double-down at the end make for a fun ride. There was more going on inside on Flash Back though, with a few lighting effects, however the theming felt very run-down and could do with a bit of a spruce-up.

Radja River (x1)
The river rapids, which was quite long with some decent water effects throughout, including a rather unique mist tunnel.

Gold River Adventure (x1)
Cable pully boat things round a lake, offering some very nice views of Tiki-Waka! Quite long (not Gondoletta levels of long, but long enough), and a nice sit down undercover if it's raining.

Buzzsaw (x1)
A HUSS Top Spin, it's nice to ride one of these as they are becoming more and more rare nowadays.

Challenge of Tutankhamon (x2)
I knew that Walibi had a couple of dark rides, but I didn't know both were trackless transit systems! This is an interactive shooting ride, with a goodly amount of theming throughout. Watching POVs, there seems to be 2 separate endings, although we got the same (shorter) one on both rides. Still, a great little ride hidden at the very back of the park.

Dalton Terror (x1)
A 5-sided Intamin drop tower, which I was really nervous about riding to start with (I've never been a fan of drop towers), but learnt quickly how to ride it comfortably and came off really enjoying it! All sides were sit-down, a shame as it would have been good to have the option of stand up, but it was good for what it was.

Le Palais du Génie (x1)
A madhouse... is it a Vekoma? Is it a Mack? Who knows. Anyway, it was perfectly fine, with a pre-show blatantly copied from Walibi Holland's (or the other way round).

Melody Road (x1)
A fairly standard Oldtimers ride. That is all.

Octopus (x1)
I believe this is a Chance Wipeout (aka Hullygully), something I've never ridden before, and don't really have any intention of riding again. 'Twas fine, good fun for families with young kids I imagine.

Spinning Vibe (x1)
Not to be confused with the HUSS Magic of the same name at Walibi Holland, this is a Breakdance, which I was really looking forward to getting back on. That was until the ride started and I remembered they never run these things on manual mode in theme parks.

Wave Swinger (x2)
Unlike any other wave swinger I've ridden, this one gets going very quickly, straight up and at full speed, no faffing!

Popcorn Revenge (x2)
The park's other dark ride, another shooting trackless dark ride, albeit with screens rather than targets like in Tutankhamon. The ride has a central room where the cars move around each other, and several separate cinema rooms around the outside, where you go in and spend a short amount of time shooting the popcorn on the screen. I really enjoyed this ride, finding it had better pacing than the likes of Maus Au Chocolat, which just seems to go on and on. It also has a bit of a finale with more theming, which was refreshing to see.

Total ridecount: 26

Yes, I might not rate many of the rides at Walibi Holland particularly highly, but the overall experience we had on park was really positive and we had a great day!

Screenshot-48.png

Thanks for reading. Tomorrow, Heide Park!

@djtruefitt and myself were supposed to be doing a road trip in April of this year, which inevitably got cancelled a few weeks prior. However, with lockdown restrictions being lifted and no mandatory quarantine when travelling to many European countries, it was time to put our trip plans back into action! The original trip was supposed to be Toverland, Heide Park, Hansa Park, Fort Fun Abenteuerland, Walibi Belgium and Bellewaerde, though this had to be amended for a few reasons.

The final plan resulted in return Eurotunnel crossings (Folkestone to Calais), and a round trip consisting of: Walibi Belgium > Heide Park > Hansa Park > Movie Park Germany > Phantasialand, with a different hotel each night between each park. The middle 3 parks were brand new to both of us, and I also had never visited Walibi Belgium before. I'll be using this thread to air my views on the rides at each park over the next week, as well as commenting on how we found the COVID-19 measures and how they affected operations. So, on with the review!

Screenshot_47.png

Walibi Belgium - 14.07.20

I won't lie, I wasn't expecting much from this park. On paper there's 8 roller coasters, none of which look particularly great, and a handful of other bits. However, I really enjoyed my day here! I do enjoy a theme park set around a lake and there was plenty to do to keep us occupied. This was perhaps the best park of the trip for Coronavirus measures, with masks being encouraged around the park, and mandatory on all rides. The staff were great and were running the rides efficiently; we didn't wait more than 30 minutes for anything, with most things being 0-10 mins.

All coasters were using every row, albeit one group per row, which seemed to work pretty well and kept the queues moving, especially as it's only Pulsar (a high throughput ride anyway) with 4-across rows. As with all parks this week, there were 1.5m markers in all queue lines, although it didn't seem that many people were following this unfortunately, with some people desperate to get into your back pocket. That being said, aside from putting these markers out, there's not a whole lot staff can do to enforce it. The park was relatively quiet, so I presume there was quite a low capacity restriction - either that or the weather forecast put people off. Anyhow, this made for a very enjoyable day.

Rides

Calamity Mine
(x2)
This is the off-the-shelf model of Vekoma Mine Train. I'd heard poor things prior to visiting the park, but enjoyed it more than I thought I would, in fact I think I rate it slightly higher than Mammut at Gardaland. The first half is good fun with a couple of pops of airtime, although the second half is pretty dull.

Cobra (x1)
A very standard Vekoma Boomerang with original restraints. The theming seems much nicer in this area now than it did before and the ride fits in quite well with its beige colour scheme.

Loup-Garou (x1)
Also known as 'Werewolf', this is one of only 3 Vekoma wooden coasters ever built, all of which in the very early 2000s, and there's good reason for that. I got to ride Robin (in da) Hood at Walibi Holland back in 2018 before it got the RMC treatment, and Loup-Garou could really do with it too! It rattles like hell, is quite uncomfortable and does nothing of interest. Hopefully this will be the next ride to get some attention post-2021.

Psyké Undergound (x1)
My first Schwarzkopf Shuttle Loop, and I found it pretty fun! For some reason I wasn't aware of the forwards launch, expecting a backwards lift hill, which came as a nice surprise. The lighting inside the ride adds to the experience, but would have been nice to have some sound (like the Psyké Undergound song) rather than the silence we were greeted with on-ride instead.

Pulsar (x2)
A really, really fun ride! The turntable station is amazing to watch and makes the capacity of the ride really high. The launches are great, especially the second backwards one which whips you over that hill at such a rate. There was also an acceptable level of wetness on ride, if you sit in the middle seats. I'm not sure what theme they're going for with Pulsar though, it seems a little confused.

Vampire (x1)
The standard Vekoma SLC. Was exactly as expected, although possibly the best presented one I've ever seen. It's in its own little area of the park and surrounded by lots of trees and shrubbery.

Tiki-Waka (x2)
Honestly, I was expecting better from this Gerst Bob - a ride type I generally really like. Even when it's warmed up it's still pretty slow for most of the layout and is pretty forceless.

Fun Pilot (x1)
Walibi Belgium's newest roller coaster, a small Zierer Force which serves its purpose. This also happened to be my 200th coaster cred, carrying on my trend of completely unremarkable milestone coasters!

Flash Back (x1)
The log flume, with the same layout as Walibi Holland's, which incidentally I really like. Three drops, including one that's backwards and a double-down at the end make for a fun ride. There was more going on inside on Flash Back though, with a few lighting effects, however the theming felt very run-down and could do with a bit of a spruce-up.

Radja River (x1)
The river rapids, which was quite long with some decent water effects throughout, including a rather unique mist tunnel.

Gold River Adventure (x1)
Cable pully boat things round a lake, offering some very nice views of Tiki-Waka! Quite long (not Gondoletta levels of long, but long enough), and a nice sit down undercover if it's raining.

Buzzsaw (x1)
A HUSS Top Spin, it's nice to ride one of these as they are becoming more and more rare nowadays.

Challenge of Tutankhamon (x2)
I knew that Walibi had a couple of dark rides, but I didn't know both were trackless transit systems! This is an interactive shooting ride, with a goodly amount of theming throughout. Watching POVs, there seems to be 2 separate endings, although we got the same (shorter) one on both rides. Still, a great little ride hidden at the very back of the park.

Dalton Terror (x1)
A 5-sided Intamin drop tower, which I was really nervous about riding to start with (I've never been a fan of drop towers), but learnt quickly how to ride it comfortably and came off really enjoying it! All sides were sit-down, a shame as it would have been good to have the option of stand up, but it was good for what it was.

Le Palais du Génie (x1)
A madhouse... is it a Vekoma? Is it a Mack? Who knows. Anyway, it was perfectly fine, with a pre-show blatantly copied from Walibi Holland's (or the other way round).

Melody Road (x1)
A fairly standard Oldtimers ride. That is all.

Octopus (x1)
I believe this is a Chance Wipeout (aka Hullygully), something I've never ridden before, and don't really have any intention of riding again. 'Twas fine, good fun for families with young kids I imagine.

Spinning Vibe (x1)
Not to be confused with the HUSS Magic of the same name at Walibi Holland, this is a Breakdance, which I was really looking forward to getting back on. That was until the ride started and I remembered they never run these things on manual mode in theme parks.

Wave Swinger (x2)
Unlike any other wave swinger I've ridden, this one gets going very quickly, straight up and at full speed, no faffing!

Popcorn Revenge (x2)
The park's other dark ride, another shooting trackless dark ride, albeit with screens rather than targets like in Tutankhamon. The ride has a central room where the cars move around each other, and several separate cinema rooms around the outside, where you go in and spend a short amount of time shooting the popcorn on the screen. I really enjoyed this ride, finding it had better pacing than the likes of Maus Au Chocolat, which just seems to go on and on. It also has a bit of a finale with more theming, which was refreshing to see.

Total ridecount: 26

Yes, I might not rate many of the rides at Walibi Holland particularly highly, but the overall experience we had on park was really positive and we had a great day!

Screenshot-48.png

Thanks for reading. Tomorrow, Heide Park!
@Burbs you seem to have had a really good time despite low expectations or expectations that weren't really high. 26 rides is very good, much better than what i can achieve back home at Towers tbh!

As well as the fact the park was quiet, it helps that the rides are all quite close to each other. At Towers you spend a lot of your day walking between rides and areas, even if the park is dead.
I don't mind the walking tbh as it seems nothing after finishing the three peaks last year. Anyway, i'm looking forward to hearing the reviews on the next few parks!

Screenshot-50.png

Heide Park - 15.07.20

This was the final Merlin RTP I needed to visit to "complete the set" as it were, and I found it very middle-ground indeed. It's quite a pretty park really, set around a lake and with some rather nice architecture dotted around; the Wirtshaus des Admirales building and the Dutch area at the back of the park spring to mind. One of the things that lets Heide Park down is the obvious cost cutting. All around the park there was evidence of rides that used to be, with large areas that would clearly have been home to a flat ride or two. The biggest culprit for this was the Mayan area near Colossos, which used to have seven or eight flat rides, with only three remaining, and all SBNO! We had several rounds of "Cost Cutting or Corona?", as well as "Tussauds or Merlin?"

As for the COVID-19 measures, this was by far the least efficient park for ride operations. All rides except for Flug der Dämonen were operating alternate rows, even for groups that would ordinarily take up more than one row. For example, Big Loop has two-across seating, but only odd-numbered rows were available, meaning that a group of four would take up two cars rather than just the one. Combine this with staff that were clearly in no rush and it led to a very slow moving queue. The park wasn't as busy as I'd expected so the queue times on the whole were more than acceptable.

Rides

Big Loop (x1)
This ride wasn't particularly exciting, and it makes you appreciate the re-track that took place on Python at Efteling the other year. It was somewhat nostalgic to take a ride in the old Corkscrew trains though.

Colossos - Kampf der Giganten (x2)
Wow! The first half of this ride is seriously good. It's really high, looming over the park at nearly 170ft, and when queuing up the lift hill is intimidating. The first bit of the ride features a lot of ejector airtime, but it's a shame that from the helix onwards it slows a bit too much. That being said, the head-chopper fake track element entering the beast structure is a lot lower down than I was expecting and is quite effective. Just a shame that the structure looks really poor from most angles. There's barely any rattle at all and honestly doesn't feel like you're riding a woodie - whether this is a good thing or not, I'm unsure.

Desert Race (x1)
Located next to Colossos, this is a very near-clone of Rita at Alton Towers. I'd heard that it was much smoother than Rita, but it was hardly like riding a B&M. It was good to have a bit of speed entering the final turnaround into the brake run though.

Flug der Dämonen (x2)
This is a B&M wing coaster, and the layout we both really liked, certainly one of the stronger ones with a great airtime hill at the beginning and a number of inversions. However, there's barely any theming, so the usual head-chopper elements you'd typically find on this ride type were largely non-existent.

Grottenblitz (x1)
A Mack mine train, which again is a near-clone of Alpenexpress at Europa-Park. It was fine.

Indy-Blitz (x1)
Some shameless cred-grabbing going on here. One of the weakest kids coasters we did on the trip, located in a rather dilapidated western area.

Krake (x1)
This coaster was experiencing a number of technical problems all day, and I had accepted that we wouldn't ride it. However by mid-afternoon it had come back to life! I wasn't expecting much from it having heard others' reviews, although sitting on the back row the drop was really quite good, just a shame that it doesn't have any sort of layout after the inversion. That being said, I don't really rate any of the B&M Mini-Dives on the whole.

Limit (x1)
Another Vekoma SLC. Crap, as usual.

Bobbahn (x1)
I've never been much of a fan of Mack Bobsled coasters, but this one I found to be quite good! The layout is really long and doesn't vibrate too much. If the park was open for a bit longer we'd definitely have re-ridden this one.

Flossfahrt (x1)
Another cable boat ride around one of the lakes in the park, nothing remarkable.

Mountain Rafting (x1)
Very obviously a non-Merlin rapids! Lots of effects throughout the layout and some decent wave elements. It's also set in a very nice area of the park.

Wildwasserbahn (x1)
A very uneventful and short log flume. Fortunately it was walk-on for us, but I wouldn't recommend waiting any amount of time for it.

Oldtimer Rundkurs (x1)
Another oldtimer/vintage cars type ride, I like these as a little sit down, and they never seem to have much of a queue. This was one of the shorter ones I've done, however.

Scream (x1)
The second drop tower of the trip, which I was more up-for having done Dalton Terror the day before. These rides tend to offer great views of the park, especially the rotating ones like Scream. It wasn't the most forceful one I've ever done, but good fun nonetheless.

Heide-Park Express (x1)
The park railway, although it was only running one station, offering a nice lap of the park.

Panoramabahn (x1)

One of the two monorails in the park, this one is specifically for views rather than transport as we didn't notice any other stations on the course, and we certainly didn't stop at any.

Total ridecount: 18

Screenshot-51.png

Tomorrow, I'll be reviewing Hansa-Park, my most anticipated park of the trip!

Last edited:
Ha, please, they're not photographs, just stills from the videos I took which I'm making into a compilation video (which I should have posted by the end of the week). :)
Great; I look forward to it! Regardless of whether they were intended as photographs or not, the quality of them is stunning!

In fact, it’s probably even more impressive considering they’re video stills and not photos, as you are still able to keep the camera very still while filming video!

Away from your photography, I’m glad you seem to be enjoying the parks you’ve been to so far on the whole! I can sense you probably preferred Walibi Belgium of the two, but both reports seem fairly positive, which is great to hear!

Out of interest, which ride would you say you’ve enjoyed most out of the two parks we’ve had so far?

In fact, it’s probably even more impressive considering they’re video stills and not photos, as you are still able to keep the camera very still while filming video!
Well, my phone seems to have some mad image stabilisation on it and is pretty good quality on the whole anyway. Even when I shake the phone and take a photo it comes out clear, there's really no skill to it! :p

Out of interest, which ride would you say you’ve enjoyed most out of the two parks we’ve had so far?
Absolutely Colossos, so far. ;) If it hadn't lost its pacing half way round I'm fairly sure it'd make my top 10. :)

Absolutely Colossos, so far. ;) If it hadn't lost its pacing half way round I'm fairly sure it'd make my top 10. :)
I actually quite like the look of Colossos, and I do actually quite like the sound of the smoothness of it, judging by how you describe it, as I love a glass smooth coaster!

I look forward hearing to your thoughts on highly rated rides like Schwur des Karnan and Taron later on in the trip!
EDIT: Something I forgot to ask; many comparisons were made between Colossos and Wicker Man when the refurbishment project was being done. In your opinion, do you prefer the theme/overall experience of Colossos or Wicker Man?

Last edited:
I'm planning to go to Heide Park I'm 2022 along with Hansa Park nearby. Colossos, Flug Der Dämonen and Krake are probably my main reasons for visiting! I'm glad you enjoyed yourself! The question is, did you get those slide creds?

I'm planning to go to Heide Park I'm 2022 along with Hansa Park nearby. Colossos, Flug Der Dämonen and Krake are probably my main reasons for visiting! I'm glad you enjoyed yourself! The question is, did you get those slide creds?
Colossos is definitely worth a visit, Krake and Flug are good but I wouldn't go out my way for them again necessarily now I've done them. And no, we didn't do the slides. :p

Screenshot-52.png

Hansa Park -16.07.20

As I mentioned yesterday, Hansa Park was my most anticipated park of the trip, and really the whole point of doing it. I was pleasantly surprised with the level of detail put in to the park, with some great theming throughout and a wholly non-corporate, family-owned atmosphere. It's a lot smaller than I imagined; I knew there wasn't tonnes of rides but I was expecting everything to be a bit more spread out. The one thing that lets the park down is the lack of any high-throughput rides. Aside from Highlander and Nessie, queues moved very slowly, and though it was nice to have an unexpected ride close extension of an hour, the queues were shut early so that they could be run-off by 6pm.

This was certainly the most relaxed park in the way of COVID measures, as we were surprised to find that they were filling all seats on all rides: two groups of two would be seated together on four-across rows. As with all the German parks we visited, masks were mandatory in all queue lines, and it was good to see the "mask police" enforcing this.

Rides

Royal Scotsman
(x1)
This is one of the three rides in the Scottish themed area of the park near the entrance, is fairly uneventful but it's quite long and interacts nicely with Nessie and Highlander.

Crazy Mine (x1)
The Maurer Wild Maus, which has a nice western theme to it. I do quite like these wild mouse coasters, I think they're somewhat underrated as they're quite brutal when whipping you round the corners.

Die Schlange von Midgard (x1)
A really fun and nippy little coaster! You can't see any of the ride from the queue line so I'd no idea what we were in for. The layout is nothing much to look at but it does go round with a decent amount of speed. The dark ride section at the start and on the lift hill was also a nice surprise. The train does two laps of the circuit, with a slightly different pre-show after the station each time.

Fluch von Novgorod (x2)
*sings* NOVGOROOOOOOOOOOOD! What a fab coaster this is! The indoor queue line and station are very immersive and atmospheric, which is added to by the pre-shows before the launch. Speaking of the launch, Jesus CHRIST! That thing does not mess about. I also had no idea about the indoor vertical lift hill half way round, even when queuing up for it it just looks like the brake run. This coaster just about makes my top ten.

Nessie (x1)
I'd heard really good things about this classic Schwarzkopf looping coaster, but honestly I came off disappointed. Whether this has anything to do with where we were sitting (near the middle) I'm unsure. However it is quite fun circling Highlander on the helix section.

Der Schwur des Kärnan (x2)
Oh. My. God. The ride I've been looking forward to most all year and boy did it live up to my expectations. This ride is completely mental, and does everything a Gerst should never do. It's unbelievably dramatic throughout, from the ridiculously over the top batching lottery to the backwards drop down the lift hill with the incredible IMAscore soundtrack blaring out at you. The indoor inversion at the end of the ride came as a complete surprise to me as well. We got a back row ride at the beginning of the day which was amazing, and I was thinking it could be easily top ten worthy. However, a ride on the front towards the end of the day made it a solid top three for me. That thing seriously warms up.

Der Kleine Zar (x1)
More shameless cred-grabbing going on here. A clone of Stampbanan at Liseberg.

Wildwasserfahrt (x1)
The log flume, has a couple of decent drops with a wholly acceptable level of wetness. A relatively short ride overall though.

Highlander (x4)
One of the tallest drop towers in the world at 394-foot, it completely dwarfs Kärnan. The view from this ride over the park and the Baltic Sea is brilliant. There gets to a point going up where you think "we must be nearly there now, this is stupidly high", then you look up and realise you've still got a long way to go. It runs two different cycles throughout the day: "tilt" between park opening and 1pm, and "super tilt" after 1pm. The former tilts you forward an unsettling amount once you reach the top, before resetting to a seated position before the drop. The latter leaves you tilted forwards for the drop! There's something really odd about hurtling towards the ground facing down, something that you don't get an awful lot on these rides. I greatly preferred the "super tilt" version as I found you don't get the lurching feeling in your stomach anywhere near as much.

Holsteinturm (x1)
The observation tower near the front of the park, which offers some lovely views without the imminent drop to the ground!

Total ridecount: 15

There were a few rides we didn't manage to get on due to the slow moving queues and how busy the park was, and if we'd have done them it would have deprived us of re-rides on the few truly great and unique rides that the park offers.

Screenshot-53.png

Tomorrow, I'll be giving a slightly more... critical... review of Movie Park Germany.

Screenshot-54.png

Movie Park Germany - 17.07.20

The fourth park of our trip was Movie Park Germany, and honestly it was my least favourite of the bunch. I really liked the rides that we did, but the overall atmosphere and operations of the park let it down big time. It's a common thing at European parks to shut the queues earlier than the park so that there's not too long a queue at the end of the day (Phantasialand's queues shut between fifteen and thirty mins before park close), but when the park is meant to close at 7pm, it was very annoying to find that all queues shut at 5.30pm! Combine this with staggered openings (some rides not opening til 11am) and it's not the greatest of first impressions.

The park was also far too busy. Security had to shut off the whole of the Nickelodeon area as they said it was "too full", this is the first time I've ever seen or heard about this happening in a theme park (except Disney/Universal's new areas after they've just opened, obviously). There was clearly no capacity limit. Queues for pretty much every ride were stretching out the entrance, even the likes of Bandit which was using its full queue line and not bypassing any extensions. MPG was definitely the most vulnerable I felt all week when it came to COVID measures. Aaaaanyway, on to the rides.

Rides

Bandit (x1)
I'd heard really awful things about this RCCA wooden coaster, and we were absolutely expecting the worst, but we were pleasant surprised! We were sat in the middle of the back car, so maybe it helped not being on a wheel seat, but the ride experience was fairly inoffensive throughout. A bit of shaking around but no noticeable jackhammering. Loup-Garou earlier in the week was far worse.

Ghost Chasers (x1)
A standard layout Mack Wild Mouse, which was very much as expected. The queue line moved surprisingly quick for this ride, which was nice!

Van Helsing's Factory (x3)
Now I had heard good things about this ride, and the more we rode it, the better it got. Especially at the end of the day when it had warmed up and we had a full car of four people, it absolutely hurtled round that first half! Certainly the best Gerst Bob I've done, and even better when you can't see where you're going for a lot of it. The ride has quite a unique theme for a horror dark ride, more like Van Helsing's MOT Station.

Star Trek: Operation Enterprise (x2)
The fourth Mack Launch coaster I've done, and I really enjoyed it. The rolling forwards-backwards-forwards launches are good fun and there's more airtime in the layout than the likes of Blue Fire, it could just do with another inversion or two and I think I'd rate it slightly higher. We were fortunate enough to get back row rides both times, and it does seem to warm up quite a bit by the end of the day. The queue line theming is great, with a museum type room before progressing into the bridge of the Starship Enterprise; I'm sure Star Trek fans would love it.

Jet Ski Academy (x1)
The same ride type as SQUID Surfer at Legoland Windsor, and happens to be the first one I've done as they always seem to have long queues. Genuinely great fun, there should be more of these!

Excalibur (x1)
This is MPG's rapids ride, which got a slight retheme and new IMAscore soundtrack last year I believe. Having watched POVs of the older versions, it's not changed much at all, but as first time riders we really liked it and would have gone back for a re-ride if it hadn't had technical difficulties later on in the day. There's a good amount of the layout which takes place indoors with some nice theming, some of which in complete darkness which is very disconcerting for a water ride... I like to know where the next wave is coming from! Even the outdoor scenery was really good, and had quite a sinister theme for a rapids.

Area 51 - Top Secret (x2)
Another water ride which has had a minor retheme recently, which is quite unique, and features a large indoor drop and backwards section. The flooding water effects at the end are quite impressive too.

High Fall (x2)
Yet another drop tower on this trip, which despite being made by Intamin looks very randomly bodged together! It rotates but is entirely stand-up and floorless, so not particularly comfortable for gentlemen. It also is constantly tilted slightly forwards, and brakes very very late indeed.

Total ridecount: 13

So overall, the rides we did were good! It was just the operations of the park which let it down. I'm back at Movie Park next month, so I hope we have a better experience.

Screenshot-55.png

Tomorrow is the last park of the trip, Phantasialand!

Screenshot-52.png

Hansa Park -16.07.20

As I mentioned yesterday, Hansa Park was my most anticipated park of the trip, and really the whole point of doing it. I was pleasantly surprised with the level of detail put in to the park, with some great theming throughout and a wholly non-corporate, family-owned atmosphere. It's a lot smaller than I imagined; I knew there wasn't tonnes of rides but I was expecting everything to be a bit more spread out. The one thing that lets the park down is the lack of any high-throughput rides. Aside from Highlander and Nessie, queues moved very slowly, and though it was nice to have an unexpected ride close extension of an hour, the queues were shut early so that they could be run-off by 6pm.

This was certainly the most relaxed park in the way of COVID measures, as we were surprised to find that they were filling all seats on all rides: two groups of two would be seated together on four-across rows. As with all the German parks we visited, masks were mandatory in all queue lines, and it was good to see the "mask police" enforcing this.

Rides

Royal Scotsman
(x1)
This is one of the three rides in the Scottish themed area of the park near the entrance, is fairly uneventful but it's quite long and interacts nicely with Nessie and Highlander.

Crazy Mine (x1)
The Maurer Wild Maus, which has a nice western theme to it. I do quite like these wild mouse coasters, I think they're somewhat underrated as they're quite brutal when whipping you round the corners.

Die Schlange von Midgard (x1)
A really fun and nippy little coaster! You can't see any of the ride from the queue line so I'd no idea what we were in for. The layout is nothing much to look at but it does go round with a decent amount of speed. The dark ride section at the start and on the lift hill was also a nice surprise. The train does two laps of the circuit, with a slightly different pre-show after the station each time.

Fluch von Novgorod (x2)
*sings* NOVGOROOOOOOOOOOOD! What a fab coaster this is! The indoor queue line and station are very immersive and atmospheric, which is added to by the pre-shows before the launch. Speaking of the launch, Jesus CHRIST! That thing does not mess about. I also had no idea about the indoor vertical lift hill half way round, even when queuing up for it it just looks like the brake run. This coaster just about makes my top ten.

Nessie (x1)
I'd heard really good things about this classic Schwarzkopf looping coaster, but honestly I came off disappointed. Whether this has anything to do with where we were sitting (near the middle) I'm unsure. However it is quite fun circling Highlander on the helix section.

Der Schwur des Kärnan (x2)
Oh. My. God. The ride I've been looking forward to most all year and boy did it live up to my expectations. This ride is completely mental, and does everything a Gerst should never do. It's unbelievably dramatic throughout, from the ridiculously over the top batching lottery to the backwards drop down the lift hill with the incredible IMAscore soundtrack blaring out at you. The indoor inversion at the end of the ride came as a complete surprise to me as well. We got a back row ride at the beginning of the day which was amazing, and I was thinking it could be easily top ten worthy. However, a ride on the front towards the end of the day made it a solid top three for me. That thing seriously warms up.

Der Kleine Zar (x1)
More shameless cred-grabbing going on here. A clone of Stampbanan at Liseberg.

Wildwasserfahrt (x1)
The log flume, has a couple of decent drops with a wholly acceptable level of wetness. A relatively short ride overall though.

Highlander (x4)
One of the tallest drop towers in the world at 394-foot, it completely dwarfs Kärnan. The view from this ride over the park and the Baltic Sea is brilliant. There gets to a point going up where you think "we must be nearly there now, this is stupidly high", then you look up and realise you've still got a long way to go. It runs two different cycles throughout the day: "tilt" between park opening and 1pm, and "super tilt" after 1pm. The former tilts you forward an unsettling amount once you reach the top, before resetting to a seated position before the drop. The latter leaves you tilted forwards for the drop! There's something really odd about hurtling towards the ground facing down, something that you don't get an awful lot on these rides. I greatly preferred the "super tilt" version as I found you don't get the lurching feeling in your stomach anywhere near as much.

Holsteinturm (x1)
The observation tower near the front of the park, which offers some lovely views without the imminent drop to the ground!

Total ridecount: 15

There were a few rides we didn't manage to get on due to the slow moving queues and how busy the park was, and if we'd have done them it would have deprived us of re-rides on the few truly great and unique rides that the park offers.

Screenshot-53.png

Tomorrow, I'll be giving a slightly more... critical... review of Movie Park Germany.
You're trip to Hansa Park sounded really fun and i myself will be going in 2022 (plans were pushed back unfortunately) and i have high expectations of Karnan as the only infinity coaster i've done is The Smiler. Nessie looks like a classic and Novogrod or whatever it's called looks brilliant. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself once again, however, what were your top three rides?

You're trip to Hansa Park sounded really fun and i myself will be going in 2022 (plans were pushed back unfortunately) and i have high expectations of Karnan as the only infinity coaster i've done is The Smiler. Nessie looks like a classic and Novogrod or whatever it's called looks brilliant. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself once again, however, what were your top three rides?
I've done four Infinity coasters now and I really like them all, but The Smiler is certainly the roughest, least pleasant to ride, and induces the most "Gerst-ache". As for my top 3 rides at Hansa, I'd say 1) Kärnan, 2) Novgorod, 3) Highlander.

I've done four Infinity coasters now and I really like them all, but The Smiler is certainly the roughest, least pleasant to ride, and induces the most "Gerst-ache". As for my top 3 rides at Hansa, I'd say 1) Kärnan, 2) Novgorod, 3) Highlander.
Interesting opinions @Burbs . In terms of the Smiler however, i'll let you know my thoughts on the general discussion. What other reviews do you need to do or have you done them all?

Screenshot-57.png

Phantasialand - 18.07.20

Phantasialand was the final theme park we visited on our little road trip, and happens to be the only one that both of us had visited before, though just the once for me. It had been three years since my first visit, so I was itching to return to one of the best themed parks in the world. As we were visiting on a Saturday, a "Hell On Earth" day was very much expected, though despite it being very busy on park (the paths are narrow in a lot of places anyway), we got on way more rides than anticipated. It's a shame that since I visited in October 2017, nothing has changed apart from Crazy Bats, they really need to get FLY open!

The operations on park were generally really good. As with all parks in Germany, masks were mandatory throughout queue lines, although I don't remember an awful lot of hand sanitiser being available. Every ride was operating all rows, however only one group per row was allowed. They now have batchers in the Black Mamba and Colorado Adventure stations which actually worked really well, as the free-for-all approach was always a bit manic.

Rides

Black Mamba
(x2)
A somewhat underrated B&M Invert in my opinion. Yes it does lose its pace a bit towards the end but the interaction of the rockwork and terrain around it feels immense, and really rather forceful in places. A shame that the station had its house lights on as it's quite atmospheric without.

Colorado Adventure (x3)
Christ alive I had forgotten how good this thing was. By far the best Vekoma Mine Train I've done and possibly one of the best family coasters out there. The way it chucks you about, especially after the second lift hill in the dark is hilarious! Even on one of the weaker seats it's better than any other Vekoma Mine Train I've been on.

Raik (x2)
Track and train, it does a job, but the theming and detailing in the station really make it something special. The large clock (ooerr) that moves relative to which direction the train is going is really quite impressive.

Taron (x2)
I really like Taron, and it sits in the latter half of my top ten. The launches are very powerful and the couple of pops of airtime you get are fantastic. I just think that it could do with a few more airtime moments and an inversion or two near the end.

Crazy Bats (x1)
Well, it wasn't running with VR so was basically Temple Of The Nighthawk with a more coherent "theme" in the queue line. I forgot how long that ride is, so can imagine it working really well with VR. A shame we didn't get to try it with.

Winjas Force (x1)
Naturally, we'd have preferred a ride on Fear, but Force(less) was the only option when we rode. The trick track elements, while fun and unique, are rather disconcerting when you remember that it's manufactured my Maurer, and hope that the brakes actually do their jobs.

Wuzeball (x1)
Right place, right time, you could say. We noticed that it was up and running when in the area, and managed to nab a ride before it shut again. As expected, it was utter balls, but such a rare cred it was worth it.

Chiapas (x2)
I bloody love this ride!!! Got to be the best log flume out there, the theming, acceptable wetness, speed, length and soundtrack all make for an amazing ride. If I was to offer any constructive criticism for this, I think there could have been scope for a longer dark ride section, as the only bit that's truly indoors is the Templo de Fiesta bit, which is over a bit too soon for my liking.

Feng Ju Palace (x1)
Only reason I wanted to go on this was for the hilarious pre-show, but much to @djtruefitt's delight, it wasn't running. No "I'm getting MARRIED today" or "YOU THERE. SIT. DOWN." sound effects. Very disappointed. 0/10.

Geister-Rikscha (x1)
Bored barnes. It's too long, and there's really nothing of interest to look at, not really any impressive sets in my opinion.

Hotel Tartüff (x1)
The fun house, which I really like! It has a good length to it and it's something you don't get in a lot of theme parks nowadays. Also works quite well during COVID considering there's a decent gap between each group, so you're not waiting for anyone ahead of you or feeling pressured to rush through from those behind.

Maus au Chocolat (x1)
Again, about three scenes too long and no real finale to it. At least Popcorn Revenge at Walibi Belgium had a final scene that was a bit different with more effects. Oh well.

Mystery Castle (x1)
Unfortunately we were greeted with a ride on Misery Castle, however it did mean that the queue moved faster than if it was running Mystery. Annoyingly only three of the towers were loading guests (and distantly at that) so the throughput was probably one of the worst on park.

Tikal (x1)
I'd heard this was one of the best Zierer Free Fall rides out there, having not done it before, and it was great fun! Unsure if it was any better than Poppy Tower at Europa, but fun nonetheless.

Tittle Tattle Tree (x1)
Another ride I was yet to experience, a somewhat rare attraction of a stand-up Vekoma Paratower. It offers some nice views of the Wuze Town area and is more forceful than expected when in the full ride sequence.

Würmlings Express (x1)
A pleasant monorail ride around the Fantasy area. Nothing to write home about.

Pferdekarussell (x1)
A two-tier carousel just under the main entrance of the park. Annoyingly only the bottom level was usable.

Total ridecount: 23

Screenshot-58.png

Well, there we go folks, end of the trip report! I hope you've enjoyed reading it, and very soon I shall have a bit of a compilation video made of the parks we visited. I'll post it in this thread when it's ready.

Thanks for reading!

Screenshot-57.png

Phantasialand - 18.07.20

Phantasialand was the final theme park we visited on our little road trip, and happens to be the only one that both of us had visited before, though just the once for me. It had been three years since my first visit, so I was itching to return to one of the best themed parks in the world. As we were visiting on a Saturday, a "Hell On Earth" day was very much expected, though despite it being very busy on park (the paths are narrow in a lot of places anyway), we got on way more rides than anticipated. It's a shame that since I visited in October 2017, nothing has changed apart from Crazy Bats, they really need to get FLY open!

The operations on park were generally really good. As with all parks in Germany, masks were mandatory throughout queue lines, although I don't remember an awful lot of hand sanitiser being available. Every ride was operating all rows, however only one group per row was allowed. They now have batchers in the Black Mamba and Colorado Adventure stations which actually worked really well, as the free-for-all approach was always a bit manic.

Rides

Black Mamba
(x2)
A somewhat underrated B&M Invert in my opinion. Yes it does lose its pace a bit towards the end but the interaction of the rockwork and terrain around it feels immense, and really rather forceful in places. A shame that the station had its house lights on as it's quite atmospheric without.

Colorado Adventure (x3)
Christ alive I had forgotten how good this thing was. By far the best Vekoma Mine Train I've done and possibly one of the best family coasters out there. The way it chucks you about, especially after the second lift hill in the dark is hilarious! Even on one of the weaker seats it's better than any other Vekoma Mine Train I've been on.

Raik (x2)
Track and train, it does a job, but the theming and detailing in the station really make it something special. The large clock (ooerr) that moves relative to which direction the train is going is really quite impressive.

Taron (x2)
I really like Taron, and it sits in the latter half of my top ten. The launches are very powerful and the couple of pops of airtime you get are fantastic. I just think that it could do with a few more airtime moments and an inversion or two near the end.

Crazy Bats (x1)
Well, it wasn't running with VR so was basically Temple Of The Nighthawk with a more coherent "theme" in the queue line. I forgot how long that ride is, so can imagine it working really well with VR. A shame we didn't get to try it with.

Winjas Force (x1)
Naturally, we'd have preferred a ride on Fear, but Force(less) was the only option when we rode. The trick track elements, while fun and unique, are rather disconcerting when you remember that it's manufactured my Maurer, and hope that the brakes actually do their jobs.

Wuzeball (x1)
Right place, right time, you could say. We noticed that it was up and running when in the area, and managed to nab a ride before it shut again. As expected, it was utter balls, but such a rare cred it was worth it.

Chiapas (x2)
I bloody love this ride!!! Got to be the best log flume out there, the theming, acceptable wetness, speed, length and soundtrack all make for an amazing ride. If I was to offer any constructive criticism for this, I think there could have been scope for a longer dark ride section, as the only bit that's truly indoors is the Templo de Fiesta bit, which is over a bit too soon for my liking.

Feng Ju Palace (x1)
Only reason I wanted to go on this was for the hilarious pre-show, but much to @djtruefitt's delight, it wasn't running. No "I'm getting MARRIED today" or "YOU THERE. SIT. DOWN." sound effects. Very disappointed. 0/10.

Geister-Rikscha (x1)
Bored barnes. It's too long, and there's really nothing of interest to look at, not really any impressive sets in my opinion.

Hotel Tartüff (x1)
The fun house, which I really like! It has a good length to it and it's something you don't get in a lot of theme parks nowadays. Also works quite well during COVID considering there's a decent gap between each group, so you're not waiting for anyone ahead of you or feeling pressured to rush through from those behind.

Maus au Chocolat (x1)
Again, about three scenes too long and no real finale to it. At least Popcorn Revenge at Walibi Belgium had a final scene that was a bit different with more effects. Oh well.

Mystery Castle (x1)
Unfortunately we were greeted with a ride on Misery Castle, however it did mean that the queue moved faster than if it was running Mystery. Annoyingly only three of the towers were loading guests (and distantly at that) so the throughput was probably one of the worst on park.

Tikal (x1)
I'd heard this was one of the best Zierer Free Fall rides out there, having not done it before, and it was great fun! Unsure if it was any better than Poppy Tower at Europa, but fun nonetheless.

Tittle Tattle Tree (x1)
Another ride I was yet to experience, a somewhat rare attraction of a stand-up Vekoma Paratower. It offers some nice views of the Wuze Town area and is more forceful than expected when in the full ride sequence.

Würmlings Express (x1)
A pleasant monorail ride around the Fantasy area. Nothing to write home about.

Pferdekarussell (x1)
A two-tier carousel just under the main entrance of the park. Annoyingly only the bottom level was usable.

Total ridecount: 23

Screenshot-58.png

Well, there we go folks, end of the trip report! I hope you've enjoyed reading it, and very soon I shall have a bit of a compilation video made of the parks we visited. I'll post it in this thread when it's ready.

Thanks for reading!
I'm glad you enjoyed yourself @Burbs . Something you definitely deserve after lockdown and everything. Colorado Adventure is basically Big Thunder Mountain on steroids tbh especially from what i've heard on the back row. I'm hoping to visit when F.L.Y finally never opens:p