• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Eurovision 2016

Burbs

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Iron Gwazi
The UK's Eurovision entry will be selected on Friday Feb 26th... That's this week!

It will be decided by the national final, hosted by the BBC, where 6 acts will go head-to-head in the televised show, live from the O2 Forum, Kentish Town, London: "You Decide". It will be broadcasted on BBC4 and also streamed online.

More information about the UK's entry can be found here.

The final will be shown on BBC1, as per, on May 14th.

------

Eurovision Chat
We'll be in Slack as per usual for both semi finals, so if you're not signed up, go head over to our TowersStreet Slack page for full instructions. There's apps available for Slack for mobile and for PC, or you can just use your web browser if you'd rather too. There's people in there constantly, so feel free to pop in before Tuesday's first final if you want to get used to things first.

Semi Final One will be broadcast on BBC Four at 20:00 on Tuesday 10th May. The running order is over on Youtube.

Semi Final Two will be broadcast on BBC Four at 20:00 on Thursday 12th May. Running order over on Youtube

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, Eurovision. One of my favourite nights of the year. :D

I've listened to all six of our potential entries, and my personal favourite is Karl William Lund's. Friday night should be quite interesting, having a national final for the first time in several years. Bring on May 14th!

Unfortunately I'm out on Friday night! Really looking forward to EV though. Never had any interest before but when I've watched it previously it's always been a cracking night!

Will give those songs a listen tomorrow.

The big Eurovision news this year is the new scoring/voting system. Until now, results from juries and the public have been combined for each country to give a top 10, but now both every country will award 2 separate sets of scores: a jury result and a phone result with 1-8, 10 and 12 points going to the top 10 countries in each.

These results won't be announced at the same time though - the overly long process of calling every country is still there, but only for the jury scores. Once that's complete, they'll then read out the total number of points each country received from the public, starting with the country receiving fewest points (that'll be us then). The theory is that it won't be possible to know the result until the last couple of results are read out, rather than up to 15 minutes beforehand.

It's an interesting idea, but as I see it there's two key flaws:
1. people probably don't care as much about the jury result as the public vote, but it's the juries that are getting the bulk of the airtime, and the individual public votes won't be read out at all, that information will only be available online
2. it'll make the results process take even longer than it does already, but the vast majority of it is meaningless as the bulk of the points come in right at the end so you might as well not bother watching the preceding hour or so.

And our entry this year is Joe & Jake's 'You're Not Alone'. Thought they were one of the better acts tonight, and probably our best chance of getting a half-decent score. Not that we'll win, mind. :p

And our entry this year is Joe & Jake's 'You're Not Alone'. Thought they were one of the better acts tonight, and probably our best chance of getting a half-decent score. Not that we'll win, mind. :p
Just had a listen. I really like it! Looking forward to May 14th.

:D

One week until the first semi-final! :D

After having listened to all entries, my personal favourites so far are Russia, Australia, Ireland and France (yes, France). Russia are odds-on favourites to win.

France's entry this year is fantastic and I will be more than happy if it wins! I did like Russia's song to begin with, however I am now finding it OTT musical style song and it's wearing a bit thin, it's very over dramatic and the staging is a blatant rip off of Sweden's winner last year!

As for my personal favourites, Azerbaijan, Latvia & Hungary are in there. However right at the top are France, Spain & Cyprus, love me a bit of rock! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After having listened to all entries, my personal favourites so far are Russia, Australia, Ireland and France (yes, France). Russia are odds-on favourites to win.

Ireland?! The others I'll generally agree with but bloody hell Ireland are bland this year :tongueout:

Anyway, I'm not gonna go through every single song, because...effort, but I'll mention a few of my notable ones from across both semi finals and the default qualifiers:

Poland - Possibly one of the biggest shocks of the national finals was Michal Szpak winning. Margaret was hotly tipped to win with Cool Me Down, and in fact Poland shot up the odds to be as high as second favourite at one point. As soon as Michal won though, the odds dropped back down like a stone. A shame, because as much as it's a bit 'Rihanna Paint by Numbers' it's an incredibly catchy song that would've done amazingly well. Instead, we're left with this borefest instead!

Russia - At first I liked this, now I simply tolerate it. The more I listen to it, the more the cheesyness annoys me. Russia are literally throwing everything at the staging of this, and while it's set to look very great technically, I can't help but think it's going to look a little too much style over substance. It's the current favourite at the moment, and although I see a top 5 finish for it, I think they may get pipped to the post.

Iceland - Now I'm not gonna lie this one has been stuck in my head massively since I heard it and initially was one of my favourites. The staging should be interesting providing she gets it right, but first rehearsal wasn't great and the performance came across a little cheesy. The strength of the other entries means I'm doubting a top four position for this one now - although I'd love to be proved wrong thanks to the odds I got for it :tearsofjoy:

UK - Meh. Not a fan if I'm honest. Not our worst, but it's very forgettable. Middle of the bottom half of the table I reckon.

Latvia - Another one which was initially really high up in the odds. On first listen this one is decent, but can't help but think it's just a tad too slow tempo wise. It does sound great live though, so who knows!

Spain - One of the automatic final entries and I'm officially obsessed with this song - and I'd say it's probably one of my favourites out of the lot. I'd love it to do well in the finals, and it sounds great with the tweaks they've made with the composition since the national finals.

France - So they seem to have final got the right idea, and those stubborn folk have stuck some English in their song. I've struggled to like the French entries in the past, but this is seriously seriously catchy. Currently 2nd in the odds, but I can see this running away as the winner in all honesty.

Australia - Dami can certainly sing, and I'm sure it'll do well and sail through to the final with ease, but I'd say will most likely finish 6th or 7th.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J7O5BGqPDk
Malta - I've not been listening to this one much until the last week or so, and although I don't think this will win I reckon a top 10 finish is completely possible for this one. It's a tad repetitive in the chorus, but overall it sounds fantastic, and it's rounding off the semi final in last place which keeps it memorable - provided no one falls asleep during Bosnia & Herzegovina's track.

A special mention goes to San Marino and good old Serhat. Now this started as a really slow ballad, but San Mairno quickly realised they needed to spice it up. So, in comes the 70's disco beat (stick with the song) the camp it up. And yes, I've complained about Russia's cheesyness, but I swear San Marino have done it all just for the lolz, rather than for any serious attempt at doing well. Sadly, we can't vote for them as they're in Semi Final One, but god damn it Europe, vote for Serhat!

So for me, go Spain, France, Malta and Iceland! Realistically though, it's a very tough one to call this year, I genuinely have no idea what the top 5 is going to look like.

Eurovision Chat
On a sidenote, we'll be in Slack as per usual for both semi finals, so if you're not signed up, go head over to our TowersStreet Slack page for full instructions. There's apps available for Slack for mobile and for PC, or you can just use your web browser if you'd rather too. There's people in there constantly, so feel free to pop in before Tuesday's first final if you want to get used to things first.

Semi Final One will be broadcast on BBC Four at 20:00 on Tuesday 10th May. The running order is over on Youtube.

Semi Final Two will be broadcast on BBC Four at 20:00 on Thursday 12th May. Running order over on Youtube

Yes, yes it is :D :D

moldova-eurovision-o.gif

Every year, countries have a spokesperson to announce the results from that country. Our spokesperson this year is none other than... **drum roll** Richard Osman! Let's just hope that there aren't any pointless entries, eh?

I'm sorry. :tearsofjoy:

Pretty much all the songs from the first semi were (checks self after remembering this is not the Tavern) let's say... "pants". The best song was The Netherlands. And the fact that the spiritual home of hard dance was the best with a country and western song speaks volumes.
Let's hope tonight has something a bit more banging.

Second semi-final starts in less than five minutes on BBC Four! People will be in Slack talking about them, so if you'd like to join us, then please do. I believe Craig's posted the details further up this page. :)

Well I'm very upset by the lack of trance anthems this year. Norway sounded like it had promise... then the "drop" turned out to be dubstep! :cry:

I'd say Georgia, The Netherlands, and Belgium are the only decent entries this year.