• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Extrordinary Golf: What Should Happen?

What should happen to the golf?

• Older holes being replaced with newer ones.

Votes: 55 54.5%
  • Extend it more into the car park.

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • Just a spruce up.

Votes: 38 37.6%

• Total voters

Stelios

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
The golf's paint is peeling and looking a bit tired and overgrown plants so what should we do to it?

Next to nothing or a complete revamp?

I'd just retheme it into newer ones for 2014 as a lower investment to replace UG Rita, UG and Teacups with Rita, TH13TEEN and Mutiny or SW7 with one of the X-Sector holes as it's kinda pointless.

It does seem a little silly with all the UG Land theming. I hope it does get a revamp soon. I'd love to see a TH13TEEN hole... ;D

I don't think Extraordinary Golf needs a full revamp, however the themed holes that aren't in the Resort anymore, i.e. UG Land and Tea Cups need re themeing to the new attractions. Also some attractions/area's that have two holes could also be made into different themes. Here's what I had in mind:

- Katanga Canyon > Re-theme to Ice Age
- X-SECTOR > Re-theme to SW7
- Old MacDonald's Farm Chicken Run > Re-theme to Cloud Cuckoo Land
- Rita: Queen of Speed > Re-theme to Rita
- UG Land > Re-theme to TH13TEEN
- Nemesis (coaster hole) > Re-theme to Nemesis: SUB-TERRA
- Tea Cups > re-theme to Mutiny Bay / Marauders Mayhem

I actually have a bit of a soft spot for Extraordinary Golf (by the way it has been typed wrong in the title!). I really like how quirky it is - it's somthing a bit different compared to other mini-golfs.

One thing major factor is the up keep of it. When I last visited it, the thing was in bits! Various effects didn't work, others were broken, had bits missing or looked like they hadn't seen a paint brush in years which was really sad to see!

I think the size/length of it as an attraction is fine, it just perhaps needs a few of the holes/themeing refreshed to reflect the changes on the park.

I visited it last week and actually thought it was in the best condition that its been in for a while.

New flags were on the posts, and there is a new uniform. Most of the effects were working too!

:eek: I'll need to take a look! As the last time I went it looked dire! I may even direct a few more people towards it again as well if it's up to standard again! ;)

I quite like the old holes such as ug land and rita - its like a little nod to the past, which aside from corkscrew, alton arent especially good at.

Just a nice little touch up is all it needs.

I have only done the golf once and that was during Janurary for beach party I think. I quite liked it but some parts do look a bit old and could do with a repaint. Also it does seem odd having old rides and areas that are long gone from the park. Maybe a bit of a repaint and replace any of the old areas/rides with newer ones.

I did 18 holes in February and the course wasn't in good shape at all! I would play a round before going home in the summer but at £6, no thanks! It is simply not worth it for a course with peeling paint, damaged turf and broken effects.

I really like Ug-Land hole - could stand there for hours listening to the music and crazy noises coming from those speakers! ;D

Definitely needs a refurbishment - and needs some custom.

Not really sure if any of the targetted marketing works, but it should remain so. I'd think free entry to golf for hotel guests, particularly over winter, should be mandatory, with a set price of the hotel room (be it only a quid or something) going into the golf revenue pot as it were.

Defiantly needs an update I enjoy playing between the 9 and 18 holes

To me it would make a lot of sense to enclose it & connect it to Splash Landings Hotel. The visitor numbers of the golf are not all that high, as due to the englih weather, playing golf in the rain is a little uncomfortable. Whilst re-theming the holes, connecting it would give people staying at the hotels something to do when the weather is not so great.

Also, I agree with other posts that many of the holes need re-theming, although I do have a soft spot for the Ug Land hole(s). It brings back memories. If there was a way of keeping it whilst not feeling out of place, I'd like that a lot!

:)

I dont think you would be able to link it to the hotels very easy because of the monorail being in the way. And the side the golf is on is where the bed rooms are in the hotel and not the public areas.

If the car park may be being used for a new coaster then I'd rather see the existing space that the golf uses improved rather than take land away from a potential new ride or land in the future.

BigAl said:
If the car park may be being used for a new coaster then I'd rather see the existing space that the golf uses improved rather than take land away from a potential new ride or land in the future.

I have to agree there, I was thinking of a indoor golf a while back when Sir Algenon's Bar and Grill was announced but I'm not sure if it would fit in there physically and setting-wise.

Some holes also need repainting and a move or spruce up can fix that, the gate paint and pig is wearing off at the Farmyard which kind of reflects the actual area itself! If I could add 9 more holes, I would keep all the older rides and push the "Golf on Alton Towers Over 30 Fantabulous Years of Attractions Old and new". Heck it could even be 30 holes to celebrate 30 years. These are 12 courses that I'd most like to see on a new hole. I go around the park from Mutiny and clockwise round.

1. Mutiny Bay - This one could be hard to do but you first walk the plank as the hard route but shorter and more prone to get stuck in the rough but you can latch onto a small Heave Ho mechanism to give the ball some more speed. The hole can be a Battle Galleons gun, and if this was inside you could add evaporated water and fish tanks for effect.

2. Nemesis - Sub Terra - Obviously a bigger hole as the park loves it as it's biggest attractions currently so tentacles around the course which can block the ball, the egg is in the middle covered by metal poles, sometimes the egg will spit and hiss to nerve the player. This hole will be in a square area from bottom right to top left ala where you enter and exit Terreh's station. Obstacles also include, warning tape, a glass boxed Phalanx outfit and the screams around the course when the egg spits.

3. TH13TEEN - Basically similar to the Hex hole but it is in the shape of TH13TEEN's final turn before entering the crypt where the ball will drop a floor if the hard route is taken and a button is hit. Lights similar to the TH13TEEN Aquarium.

4. Twirling Toadstool - In the shape of a Toadstool and the only hole which has a different coloured floor (red and white spots). One of the easiest holes as it can be hit from straight ahead, a relief after a few tricky holes.

5. Ice Age 4D - The hard route takes you on the back of a dinosaur (UG Land advert much) and then down to quickly launch it around the top corner. Nuts and ice formations are obstacles that will sure to help or hinder you on your way to the hole in this acorn shaped course, with the tip being the short space for a hole.

The hole is shaped with two tusks to represent manny, the left tusk being harder with the dinosaur. Walk the Dinosaur can be heard if it is completed.

6. SW7 - Probably something involving the structure towering over, can't say much about this yet but I think it could have a high par.

7. Enterprise + Submission (better name needed) - Submission blades are finally working as they try to stop you on the straight by knocking you into the pool of rough. Once you pass them a spinning Enterprise can sure whack you around the course, which occasionally stops allowing a opening. obstacles include metal fences, fallen money, sick and It is in the shape of a spoon with the bottom facing you.

8. Sonic Spinball - I hope Sonic itself is kept as a gamer as Green Hill Zone would be a easy course to map and advanced with loops but if not, just make it a large pinball course with bumpers, point holes and the 100 hole to achieve victory.

9. Squirrel Story - Basically the hard route can take you to flip a page on the worms book which sends you further up the tree shaped course with many routes to take and some fool you to a dead end. With squirrels galore and the castle in the distance watching over to see if the high par will get you.

10. Dungheap Berry Bish Bash - Basically you launch your ball from a Berry Bish Bash Ball for a change, but it does fire that far for H&S reasons but you should try and avoid avoid the tractor, bike and that middle wooden thing and other balls already there (most of which are stuck to the ground).

11. The Black Hole - Okay, many still ask to this day where it has gone so to celebrate old attractions why not bring one back, it would be a helter-skelter type metal mechanism that although floppy could work as one of the smallest courses, or a simple route with the astronaut watching over could be taken. It could all take place inside the tent as you enter another building for this and the big finale.

12. Towers Street - As a big finale you start at the lawns and straight to the Towers Street Frogs and squeeze under the fountains while you walk either side of the circles. You pass the gates and then coarse the Corkscrew and avoid the Monorail to reach the eventual hole at the carpark. Toyland Tours is being played in the background and the toys are there speculating at Towers Trading for nostalgia purposes, I'd love to see them get there own hole but on scale to the BH Tent I doubt it.

I spent too much time on this and I could only see a few or 9 of these happening so probably these 9.

1. Mutiny
2. Terry
3. TH13TEEN
4. Ice Age
5. SW7
6. Spinball
7. Squirrel
8. Berry Bish Bash
9. Towers Street

Sounds awesome to me! But maybe this new course should start off with the more sedate rides and leading up to more grand theming magic but again, I've too this way too far.

If Ice Age is only a temporary attraction then I'd probably give that one a miss. :)

BigAl said:
If Ice Age is only a temporary attraction then I'd probably give that one a miss. :)

I thought that but with the nuts they could give it a shot as it could easily be rethemed to Squirrel Nutty with the Nuts and Ice can be themed to wood instead and the puzzle thing in the queueline.