• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Fairground rides.Love or hate?

Do you like fairground/travelling rides?

• Never been on one.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 22 68.8%

• Total voters

alee298

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Colossus or Oblivion
Fairground rides. Love or hate? I hate as they feel rickety ect. But the cycles are much better than the flats at an established park. :S

There are some great travelling rides in the UK that can't be found in theme parks over here, and if you're a fan of spin rides then fairs are generally your best option.

My issue with travelling rides is the variation in price and ride quality you get due between (and even within) fairs. At a busy fair you'll pay a lot of money for a very short cycle, but when it's quiet you'll pay less and can get far more generous cycles than most theme park flats offer.

Sadly UK fairs are a poor relation of their European counterparts, the largest Dutch and German fairs host coasters that rival those found in many theme parks, meanwhile we're still left with an infestation of spinning mice.

I have no concerns with fair ride safely - the rides are their owner's livelihoods so it's in their interest to ensure they're safe and operational. Due to the fact they're dismantled and reassembled every week it's much easier to inspect the parts than static rides, so mechanical failures are very unlikely.

Are we just on about flat rides or coasters too? Because...

Olympialooping2004-2.jpg

Rheink111.jpg

Magnum%20Force%2006.jpg

Oktoberfest_2005_-_Euro-Star.jpg

...yeah.

:p

It was only a matter of time before someone posted a picture of Olympia Looping. :p

Eurostar has been wasted at that Russian park. What's the point in permanently situating a transportable ride, especially one that good?

Deutschland Uber Alles.

It's not fair. I want those travelling Swartzys and the invert. :(

The stuff we get over here, I have a love hate relationship with. They're fun, but make me feel a bit sick a lot quicker than the usual park stuff does.

I love a good fair. But then, I'm the kind of guy who enjoys extreme rides. There is nothing better than sustained G so high that you fear you will black out! (A KMG XLR8, for example).

The only proper kermis I've been to was Tilburg last year, and wow. I was like a kid in a sweet shop. Comparing that to our fairs is like comparing Europa Park to Botton's Pleasure Beach.

I think Brighton Pier is a great place! I was there last week seeing a show I did music for, and they were doing unlimited rides for £5! Not bad, really - considering a ride on the big swingy thing costs £6 each! Great afternoon had in the glorious sunshine...

Absolutely love German fairs. The upkeep and atmosphere is incredible and the variation of rides is something to behold. Amazing food too! In a week, Dusseldorf Kermis has double the amount of visitors than Alton in a whole year. I'm quite glad Eurostar has gone to Russia, however, as it was brutal to the point that I once found blood on one of the restraints.

I've just had a look at gate figures for these big fairs since it was just mentioned. Some of the figures for the various fairs are quite astonishing. I knew they were big, but not THAT big! :eek:

Gotta love them! I guess I just love the extreme, mental, crazy ones that only fairgrounds can produce. I love the bright flashing lights and the loudness. Most of all however, I love the traditional thing with them.

I do enjoy the loud dance music... I just wish they wouldn't keep playng jingles over it, or shouting in that really annoying nasal voice they all seem to have.
I don't need to be reminded BUY YOUR TOKENS FROM DA CASHBOX FOR THE NE-NE-NE-NEXT RIDE! Every 30 seconds. I can work that out for myself.

Having said that I'm sure there's still going to be people who approach with cash. People are idiots.

I like fairs, my local one at Abbey Park is very tame but the Goose Fair always brings a smile to my face. I like the bright lights and sweet smell of candy floss. Some fairs really do make Alton Towers look good value for money though! £6 for Bounce at Winter Wonderland is a huge amount of money!

I just wish there was someone with the money, vision and guts to bring a big Schwarzkopf coaster or two over here to give us Brits a taste of what a proper fair is like! Heck, I'd settle for Höllenblitz if nothing else! :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdwgn-qJcnI#ws

Edit: Sorry about the running commentary in that video. :S

Even when rides are £2-£3 it's easy to spend around £30 each if you went out with a group of friends which is why they are not so popular round by me anymore unless there is a wristband which is usually 5.99 or £10.