• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Family Video of mine From 1996

M

Mankey

Hi all, Mankey here.

My dad just uploaded a video back from august 1996 of a family trip we made to Alton Towers. Features POV's of Haunted House and Toyland Tours, as well as footage of Big Apple, Thunder Looper, Pirate Ship next to Black Hole, etc etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G48snYkxmwY#]Clicky

Apologies for my sister and I's antics of being young kids! :p We were 5 and 6 after all! :p

EDIT: Apologies for my broken Link there!

The link's not working for me mate (it could just be my pc). I'll give this a watch when I get back from work in the morning. Cheers for uploading :)

What a great video and what I like the most is you still had the Jazz Band performing in towers Street and Theo 1 of the characters that were there all day entertaining which is much missed.

Huge thanks for posting that! 1996 was actually the year I first went to Alton Towers (and the year the Haunted House subsequently traumatised me!). So many memories to be had... I can't help but think that there HAS to be some kind of full POV for the haunted house lurking on SOMEONE'S old camcorder collection...

This was my second trip. And I remember it well! Love the old setting of the energizer. It's just a shame we didn't get more of what was Fantasy World.

Thats awesome seeing the old HH again :D Maybe its just the old camcorder, but it seems REALLY dark in there compared to now, and the timing of the animatronics lighting up is spot on for giving big frights! Its also interesting that a few of the sound effects currently used are left over from the old days, I knew the screaming room and bat sfx's were from the old ride, but didn't know the finger demons sounded the same also.

Fascinating stuff, thanks for the upload :D

NF2 said:
Its also interesting that a few of the sound effects currently used are left over from the old days, I knew the screaming room and bat sfx's were from the old ride, but didn't know the finger demons sounded the same also.
The original SFX surprised me as well! I love the demon's laughter in the first set, much better than the audio used now.

When the ride opened, all the audio cues were specially produced for each effect, resulting in some very memorable moments in the ride. When Duel opened in 2003, the vast majority of SFX were replaced by digital library sounds such as creaking doors, screams, laughs. However, recently some of the brilliant original SFX were restored to various characters in the ride, mostly in the garden set towards the end.

Hopefully more will be restored soon!

Ah, great video, thanks for uploading - so many memories!

This would have been 4 years or so after my first visit, so I remember riding Beastie when it was next to Nemesis and Thunderlooper, Mini Apple was my first coaster, and there's also nice touches in there like the Energizer, old skyride music, corkscrew lifthill noise and a much nicer looking Cred Street.

Watching that, it's weird to think it was only 18 months later that Oblivion arrived on the scene...

thefatone said:
Let's hope they find some more hiding about!
As far as I know, Alton Towers no longer have any SFX for The Haunted House. The reason some have re-appeared recently is because Michael Eley contacted the original sound engineer who kept copies and allowed some to be restored.

I'm not sure how the SFX were stored in 1992 (I know the projections in the pre show room were played from laser discs), but the ride's A/V system would have probably been changed to a digital format during the 2003 refurbishment. That's most likely when the old SFX were replaced by stock audio files. There's not much chance of them finding old A/V stuff unless Alton Towers contact the studios that produced it all in 1992.