• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Favourite ride music

What's your favourite ride music at Alton Towers?

• Nemesis

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Oblivion

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Hex

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Thirteen

• The Smiler

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • Galactica

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Wicker Man

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • Duel (new soundtrack)

• Something else

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters

Alsty

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Shambhala
There is some great themed music at Alton Towers which really gives each ride its own character, from classics such as violins of Nemesis and bassy Oblivion to the latest masterpieces by IMAscore for The Smiler, Wickerman and Galactica.

What do you think is the best piece of themed music at the park, and why? Is there any ride you'd like to see get a new soundtrack? :)

Some YouTube links if you need inspiration:

Wicker Man. Really atmospheric, and I love how it subtly changes as you move closer and closer to the ride's station and pre-show buildings. Fits the theme perfectly, and really helps convey the mood and atmosphere of the ride!

Nemesis comes in at a very close second place though. :)

Last edited:
Can't beat the Nemesis soundtrack! Still probably my favourite piece of music for a ride ever.

Honourable mention to Hex and Wicker Man. Also Air - way better than Galactica's score IMO.

:)

Think I may leave this here..... clicky click

m.youtube.com/watch?v=xWeV3dIJrnA

Ahhh the old school ... still in the vote i went for nemesis

Galactica's soundtrack is probably my current favourite and the one I'd choose first to listen to out of context, which is perhaps odd as I've never been much of a fan of the ride in either of its iterations. Of the rest Hex is just fantastic, and Nemesis' soundtrack instantly takes my mind to Forbidden Valley.

As for Wicker Man, maybe it's not fair for me to judge it yet having only been on once, but it didn't seem very memorable aside from the main leitmotif*; definitely music to set an atmosphere rather than to listen to at home.

* Is that the right word? I'm sure one of the forum's musical types will jump on me and put me right if not. :)

* Is that the right word? I'm sure one of the forum's musical types will jump on me and put me right if not.
Leitmotif is correct, or less pretentiously just theme / melody!

I agree Wicker man's is less memorable as a theme (melody is hardly IMAscore's strongpoint anyway) but it definitely has a very memorable sound and setting. Even the inevitable ITHOTMK passage doesnt feel shoved in like it often does. I love that slow, deep drum sound and that it doesn't just go for purely 'dark' and depressing. Great feel for the area!

Theme music should be all about creating an energy /mood for the actual ride experience, made for the place guests hear it rather than made for listening on YouTube. I think Alton Towers' music still does this really well on the whole and creates a great day out, especially Nemesis, Hex, Duel's new music and white bridge. Other UK parks have started to get self indulgent and smother every tarmac path with overcooked cinematic music from IMAscore, which gives no respite

But the one very naff thing with Towers music this year, Oblivion's music now being used around X Sector is really horrible. Sounds great in the station, where it was always intended to play (and has the proper sound system to do it). But outside from two naff speakers on a roof, it just sounds tired and cringey.

Dear Alton Towers, could this be removed – or changed for the atmos backing track in Oblivion's queue which would suit this area much better?

Last edited:
Leitmotif is correct, or less pretentiously just theme / melody!

*Waves pretentiometer at self, noting high reading and simultaneously feeling both smug and slightly concerned*

I agree Wicker man's is less memorable as a theme (melody is hardly IMAscore's strongpoint anyway) but it definitely has a very memorable sound and setting...I love that slow, deep drum sound and that it doesn't just go for purely 'dark' and depressing. Great feel for the area!

Theme music should be all about creating an energy /mood for the actual ride experience, made for the place guests hear it rather than made for listening on YouTube.

I may enjoy a bit of IMAscore, but I quite agree that good theme park music should first and foremost serve its role in the park, and on that basis Wicker Man's music does what it's meant to well.

Think I may leave this here..... clicky click

m.youtube.com/watch?v=xWeV3dIJrnA
God, that takes me back!

Toss up between the epic Nemesis score and the demented Smiler soundtrack for me. I'll go with the latter because it's stuck in my head the whole time.
The Smiler's music sticks in my head the most I think. It has a sinister feel to it, it's slightly irritating and yet quite addictive too. I think the term is 'ear worm' :)

Hex seems to be leading the way at the moment. It is a classic and I'd be upset if ever they changed it. They just need to make sure the sound system in the vault does it justice!

There doesn't seem to be much love for Thirteen. Is that because it's a bad soundtrack, or is it because the competition from the other rides is so strong?

Th13teen has a very good soundtrack but personally, it's number 2 or so for soundtracks, meaning this survey won't actually say the most overall liked soundtrack but instead the most number 1 soundtrack.