• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ferrari World - Abu Dhabi - 3 New Coasters incl. SFX Coaster

Alastair

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Rise of the Resistance
ferrari-abu-dhabi.jpg

We have a very old thread about this park, but it was based on an old rumour and only had 3 replies (sorry @BigAl) ;)

RCDB just shared some pictures of the track for the new Dynamic Attractions "SFX Coaster" that was premiered at IAPPA earlier this year. Looks like an incredibly interesting track design, in that a) it's absolutely huge and b) it's a V-box spine which I think is all new in the industry. Inspired by B&M, I think it could be said!

@BenC posted a great review of the park in its current state here, for anyone who fancies a read :)

1613902_761208063953755_5997567422083518299_n.jpg

10892026_761208120620416_5588032761888616742_n.jpg

10606206_761208070620421_8264190975474660966_n.jpg

10882236_761208073953754_5059148548401467920_n.jpg

I said it when I posted the video in the IAAPA thread and I'll say it again, Dynamic Attractions just read the SW6 thread, took the craziest ideas from it, and thought - yes, we'll do that!

RCDB just shared some pictures of the track for the new Dynamic Attractions "SFX Coaster" that was premiered at IAPPA earlier this year. Looks like an incredibly interesting track design, in that a) it's absolutely huge and b) it's a V-box spine which I think is all new in the industry. Inspired by B&M, I think it could be said!

Nope, Pax did it first!

m1o02000iool21t00084mo.jpg

Although having said that, the Pax design could just be cladding applied to an Intamin style tri-tube to make it look more cobra like, I'm not entirely sure.

Whilst the track system does have some similarities with B&M track in appearance, the philosophy behind the construction is much more similar to the way RMC makes steel track. RMC use CNC plasma cutters to cut 2D curved sections from sheets of steel. Theses 2D forms are then welded together into a box section and their curvature causes the track to take up the desired twist or curve. This process allows RMC to create forms directly from computer drawings and reduces the variances associated with tube bending and hand welding. Alan Schilke has said that it allows him much more freedom to design coasters because he doesn't have to worry so much about whether the factory can reliably produce track to the correct standard. This new track style appears to be something very similar only applied to the triangular spine rather than the rails themselves.

In any case, it will be interesting to see how this coaster turns out.

Last edited:
This is a very interesting development. As we know it uses two of the four 'trick track' elements on offer from Dynamic Attractions. No idea how accurate this is but here is the supposed layout:

10806259_761208147287080_6727744207781598713_n.png

Also noticed this on Dynamic's website:
Dynamic Attractions said:
Dynamic Attractions has been a key supplier of precision roller coaster track for some of the largest theme parks in the world. We were chosen to design and build replacement track for Disney’s Space Mountain® and Big Thunder Mountain®. In addition, we have designed and built track and track switches for major rides around the world including Spiderman®, ET®, Radiator Springs® and the X-Coaster®

I didn't realise they had done all of that!

:)

What the? How the smeg did I miss all this during the IAAPA coverage? This looks like one of the most insane ride systems ever divised! :D

But why do I get the feeling only the vast budgets of Universal could ever use it to it's full potential?

But why do I get the feeling only the vast budgets of Universal could ever use it to it's full potential?

Because your feeling is probably a fact! You'd imagine Universal will do something pretty awesome with it sooner rather than later. Will be interesting to see what Ferrari World can do though, should be a nice taster at the very least.

Because your feeling is probably a fact! You'd imagine Universal will do something pretty awesome with it sooner rather than later. Will be interesting to see what Ferrari World can do though, should be a nice taster at the very least.

What the? How the smeg did I miss all this during the IAAPA coverage? This looks like one of the most insane ride systems ever divised! :D

They did mention there was interest from a few parks on the IAAPA coverage. I'm not sure how it got missed, when I found it I wondered how they'd manage to almost sneak it under the radar!!

Dynamic Attractions as a whole are seldom spoken about, it's the first I recall hearing about them, I thought that's a heck of a system for a first ride! :oops:

They seem to go about their business very quietly and off the radar, but their system is colossal and unbelievably clever!

I still find it brilliant that all four "tricks" I am sure were mentioned in the SW6 thread!

This kind of thing has really got the potential to be the "Ultimate" rollercoaster.

Only thing it's missing is a washing machine element and it doesn't go too far away from that either :D

Update! Looks like there is a lot going on at Ferrari World at the moment with reports of not just this one SFX coaster coming but a total of three new coasters!

The current park map shows two spaces as 'coming soon', one of these is the SFX coaster:

p3f4j.jpg

And this photo from TPR shows work taking place outside of the main building as well:

thumb_screenshot_2015-04-23-12-43-02.png

This has been posted on CoasterForce by roomraider:
roomraider on CF said:
There will be 3 new coasters.:

Coaster 1 we know about is the SFX coaster this thread is about.
Coaster 2 will be an Intamin shuttle coasters inside the dome. The central core that used to hold the Huss drop tower will be home to a track spike from this coaster.
Coaster 3 will also be from Intamin and will be outside the dome in that massive construction area and will be according to the ECC "Very Tall"

Very exciting for the park!

It was doing badly but then a big shopping mall got built on Yas Island(?) that brings lots of extra guests. Plus everything in side costs a fortune!

Following on from my last post, the second new coaster has now been confirmed by Ferrari World in an article by What's On:
What's On said:
Ferrari World new record-breaking roller coaster

What’s On has details of a new record-breaking roller coaster at Ferrari World, Yas Island Abu Dhabi, a steep steel ride called Flying Aces.

While Dubai continues full steam ahead with its two exciting new theme park/resorts, Abu Dhabi has made an adrenaline-filled announcement all of their own.

For sheer size, Dubai’s IMG Worlds Of Adventure and Jebel Ali’s Dubai Park And Resorts will certainly hold sway over the capital. But the crown of ‘fastest’ and now ‘steepest’ coasters will belong on Yas Island.

Ferrari World Abu Dhabi have announced plans to build the steepest steel roller coaster on the planet. Dubbed ‘Flying Aces’, the bi-plane themed coaster has been described as having ‘gravity-defying loops and swoops’, and will feature a starting hill inclined by 51 degrees and the world’s tallest loop at 52 metres.

The newest attraction was inspired by Count Francesco Baracca, an Italian aviator from the 1900s, and is part of a major expansion project currently taking place at the amusement centre.

Ferrari World Abu Dhabi is already home to the world’s fastest roller coaster, the Formula Rossa, which reaches speeds of 240km/h (that’s 150mph) in approximately five seconds.

“There are very few theme parks that have undertaken such a significant expansion as Ferrari World Abu Dhabi,” said Jesse Vargas, General Manager of Ferrari World Abu Dhabi. “Flying Aces will be another one-of-a-kind ride that you can only find at Ferrari World Abu Dhabi. Its design and storyline are deeply rooted in the rich history of Ferrari.”

The announcement of the new coaster comes after the launch of the park’s latest attraction, Driving Experience, which gives guests the opportunity to drive a Ferrari along Yas Island and its surroundings.

That's a 170ft loop which is absolutley massive! For comparison Blue Fire's loop is 105ft tall and Full Throttle's is 160ft tall.

Almost certainly going to be Intamin according to rumours.

If it has a couple of great coasters then who cares! :p This, the SFX coaster and Formula Rossa do make it appealing.

So the big new Intamin coaster has this very weird looking non-inverting loop:

389091d1443430982-2016-neuheit-flying-aces-achterbahn-intamin-ferrari-world-abu-dhabi-vae-1.jpg

Source

Certainly very different, more of an inline twist in a loop!

So let's have some updates on these developments.

Posted a couple of weeks ago by 'Coaster Feed' on Instagram, the outdoor beast of an Intamin, 'Flying Aces' is now complete and in the process of the standard Intamin pull-through. Thus, we have confirmation that this coaster is using the same/similar winged trains to those on the highly regarded 'SkyRush' at 'Hershey Park'

d2db65adb37638bfea2cf5b25c67581e.jpg

Secondly, the Intamin launched shuttle coaster on the inside of the park is going up as seen here, again posted by 'Coaster Feed'

44c9979005f8e3dd74021589ccea1b7b.jpg

Not entirely sure how that Central 'spike' is going to get through that massive wall of glass! ;)

And finally also making an appearance is the much discussed elusive 'SFX Coaster' seen here looking almost model like posted by 'Coaster Feed'

a40db669a1c9ca5b83e66f221e38b447.jpg

And again here posted today on Facebook by 'VHR Coasters' from a different angle also showing the shuttle coaster in the background!

78ff8bc046e1f36844e8fdfa5fa60cca.jpg

It's looking rather large to say the least, sadly that's probably the only part of the ride we will see until a POV emerges upon it's completion, but interesting all the same.

It's certainly all go at Ferrari World currently, which is surprising as I personally fully expected the park to flop in the first few seasons.

I've been meaning to post some photos of Flying Aces for a few weeks now but keep forgetting - it looks nothing short of incredible! This is soon going to be a park well worth visiting.