• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

First Trip to PortAventura

Andrew

TS Contributor
Hey guys,

I'm in Barcelona next week and we're visiting PA on either the Tuesday 15th or Wednesday 16th and I was looking for some tips so I can get the most out of the visit.

I'm going to presume that it's going to be quite busy with it being mid July and it's meant to be good weather too which won't help so any advice as to when to ride certain rides and where to go for food etc would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Meant to be good weather? :p It's always minimum 25°C in Salou in summer, and more often than not 10°C above that. I'd advise you to get either the Express Premium or Express Premium Gold fast passes. The first is around €45 and gives you unlimited fastpass on everything, the second is about €50 and gives you the same plus 3 guaranteed front row rides. It's essential for single day visits, as the queues for the big rides can be massive whereas with fastpass you won't wait longer than 5 minutes. It goes without saying that you'll only require one ride on Baco so mainly the fastpass can be used for multiple rerides on Shambhala and Dragon Khan.

I am going this weekend for a few days, park opens at 10am however rides open staggered throughout the morning normally, with all rides open by 12pm. Park is open until Midnight every night during July and Aug so can forgive the staggered opening. I would also get an express pass, all though when been in the past queues tend to reduce when you get into early evening. The park have a big selection of shows as well, with a lot of these of a very good standard, also they have a night time show at 11.30pm every night which includes fireworks.

One option is to purchase a multi day ticket and avoid the park during the day and visit say 4pm-12am on a couple of days, you could then prob not bother with an express pas (more than making up difference in getting a two day ticket) you avoid the worst of the heat and queues wont be so bad which makes for a much more pleasant visit

Food isn't cheap but on past experiences was fairly good for a theme park with a wide selection with food options themed to the different themed areas.

On sat the park is actually open until 4am! as it is for a few nights during summer with extra themed entertainment throughout the park.

Thanks guys. I'll consider the fast passes depending on who would spend money on them with me as it's a group trip (hence why I can't get a two day ticket). I have no idea how long we're staying for too so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

What eateries would you suggest are best for quality and price? Obviously better quality equals a higher price but there must be an equilibrium somewhere :p

You kind of have 3 levels in regards to food with the most expensive being the sit down a la carte restaurants, you have the mid level being the self service restaurants and then you have the fast food counters. I would suggest the following self serve restaurants are ok-

Sichuan (China area)- ok Chinese type food.

La Cantina- (Mexico) large themed indoor self Service restaurant serving Mexican food.

The old steak house (far west) American style food- (burgers/ribs etc)

Plus the happiness station in china is great for an ice cream.

One attraction that can easily be missed is temple del fuego- only opens 4-10pm, never normally a queue, but is great special effects show, up there with Disney/universal shows of this style (it was built by universal when they owned the park)

Ooo, sounds lovely. Thanks very much!

Yeah, I was thinking of trying Temple Del Fuego if I got the chance as obviously coasters would be the main priority for credits ;)

An update for you for on what currently like at the park- Been at the park today and despite feeling busy queues not to bad and less than when been before. The big rides where averaging about 1 hour queue (on occasions some like baco and water riders had longer but not much more) by the Evening despite the park still feeling packed queues where Walk on to 10 mins even the coasters. Lots of people at night seem to be eating or enjoying shows. There is a great atmosphere at the park in the evening.

Previous visits have always been in June and queues much bigger but think that's because of end of term Spanish school trips, where now they are all broken up from school now in Spain so less big coach groups at the park(you can tell as no mass groups all in the same t-shirts!)

I really would get the Fastpasses. Queue jumping is 'the norm' and the queues seem to be designed for it - gates easily opened, rope barriers, short fences. It nearly ruined my last trip, especially in cattlepen queues with Spanish people shouting abuse at us when we tried to stop them barging past us. It's not just kids either, adults and families do it as well.

The fastpass also includes Fuego so I really would try to catch the show if you can. Many people miss it and there were rumours some years ago that it was closing for good - thankfully it reopened but you never know, it can't be a cheap show to run!