Flamingo Land: General Discussion

Discussion in 'European Parks and Attractions' started by soundwave96, 13th Jun 2012.

1. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

It costs literally nothing to write a script for staff to read out on the tannoy to remind guests about social distancing for example.

It sounds more like they just don’t really care to be honest.

2. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

But operating a safe workplace is a basic requirement!
    Would you be saying the same if a restaurant was operating with no soap for handwashing as they "couldn't afford it"?

Skyscraper, Enter Valhalla and Matt N like this.
  3. Enter Valhalla

Enter Valhalla TowersStreet Member

Surely any business that isn’t able to keep their customers safe (for whatever reason) should not be allowed to open until they can?

Imagine if, for example, a hypothetical theme park was to experience a major incident on one of their rides, and their response was “sorry we couldn’t afford to keep our rides safe”
    This just wouldn’t happen.

Jonathan likes this.
  4. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    I’ll admit I am surprised that Flamingo Land was allowed to open with seemingly quite minimal COVID procedures (in fact, are there any COVID procedures?), but I guess the local health board must have deemed it safe enough to open.

5. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

Most inspections would be retroactive, so the council would only visit if there are complaints.

As someone already mentioned (maybe another thread) social distancing is guidance not law.

It's quite possible following the newspaper headlines that the local council are now coming this week.

Matt N likes this.
  6. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    I was under the impression that all businesses had to have their COVID procedures reviewed by the government prior to reopening, and if they passed, they would be able to reopen with the “We’re Good To Go” green tick to show that they’re “COVID Secure”? I know all the Merlin parks certainly had this inspection prior to reopening, anyway…

I may be getting that wrong, however…

7. Thameslink Rail

Thameslink Rail TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    We're good to go green tick is a scheme run by Visit England not the UK government.

AT86, jon81uk and Matt N like this.
  8. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    That is not correct, businesses do not have to be inspected before opening. Although the vast majority of businesses are likely to have had at least one Covid check by either the local authority or the HSE (they certainly have here in Leicester).

I have no idea what is happening at Flamingo Land but if they are not able to adequately demonstrate that they can meet their risk assessment criteria for being open then they probably shouldn't be.

jon81uk and Matt N like this.
  9. djtruefitt

djtruefitt TS Site Team Team Member

I guess it’s very different being inspected before you’ve opened to a year later. If the council were to visit most Merlin parks now they wouldn’t think they are covid secure at all. However if they visited last July and saw loads of hand gel, markers on the floor and screens at food outlets then I’m sure that would be good enough to go.

MaxPower and Skyscraper like this.
  10. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

Was thinking of meeting tyke mates at 'Mingo for the day at the end of the holidays.
    Checked out the tripadvisor reviews, jeez, won't be bothering.
    Still hiding behind covid/staffing issues and half the main rides remain closed.
    Only one and two star reports, poor ops, food, closures and rancid toilets are the main issues.
    Milk those staycationers...

Dipper_Dave, Skyscraper and Craig like this.
  11. Skyscraper

Skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Yeah definitely don't visit yet. I'm planning to go next year after the new coaster (hopefully) opens, but if operations/crowd control still aren't good then I'll wait even longer.

12. Craig

Craig TS Administrator Team Member

Blimey, you weren't wrong, I don't think I've ever seen a park get such a slating - even the rare recent 3 or 4 star reviews are pretty terrible. Admittedly they'll be having difficulties recruiting in the same way as all leisure and hospitality, but let's be honest the rot started at the place long before Covid, the pandemic merely accelerated it.

I think out of any park, it's the one I'm most annoyed about in terms of the potential they've absolutely wasted over the years. Excluding LWV, it's my local park and I've seen it grow from the truly awful zoo that it once had, to showing some real potential after some really decent investments. Sadly it's clear that they weren't willing to keep up with maintenance on these additions, hence why we've seen trains disappear on Kumali, seats (quite literally) disappear on Flip Flop and theming fall apart around the park too.

Aside from a little bit of kick back over height issues with the likes of Cliffhanger, this is a park that has a comparatively easy ride planning wise in comparison with other parks. They have considerably more space than other parks, and an established (if not hideously overpriced) popular holiday park to help prop up things too. They were in a prime position to cater to multiple markets and complete with the likes of family parks such as Paulton's, safari parks and thrill parks combined. With a location that offers barely any competition nearby, it's insane that potential hasn't been properly capitalised on.

MaxPower, Harv, MakoMania and 7 others like this.
  13. Jb85

Jb85 TowersStreet Member

I too find it crazy that there isn’t some major investment going in there. People have said the park won’t be sold - but why?

Skyscraper likes this.
  14. Dave

Dave TS Founding Member

Because it’s a family business and the current owner is an interesting character to say the least. Unless they start to see a financial loss they won’t sell up and a lot of people visit the holiday village yearly so they have a bit of a captive audience that props up the bottom line.

Skyscraper likes this.
  15. Craig

Craig TS Administrator Team Member

The whole family politics surrounding the Gibbs has always been a weird one. I guess the place still makes a profit, albeit a reduced one in their latest accounts up until March last year, so it's worth keeping to them. New coaster aside though, the state of everything else on the park just seems to be getting worse and worse. Couple that with the ever increasing number of negative reviews, and I'm not really seeing the place as an asset that's appreciating in value at the moment, quite the opposite.

MaxPower and Skyscraper like this.
  16. Poisson

Poisson TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Giant Squid
    I was under the impression all the major rides had reopened.

Skyscraper likes this.
  17. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

Complaints of "opening late" becoming not opening at all, repeatedly.

MaxPower, Poisson and Skyscraper like this.
  18. Skyscraper

Skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Considering all the bad reviews and press they've been receiving recently, this is actually really good. A family turned up at the caravan site to find that their booking didn't exist and they'd been duped by a scammer. As Mingo's site was fully booked, three staff rang around all the off-site caravans so that the family could have their holiday. Well done Mingo! :)

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/family-travel-40-miles-flamingo-21472120.amp

19. Benjsh

Benjsh TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Just a shame they had to then endure Mingoland though so swings and roundabouts.

20. MaxPower

MaxPower TowersStreet Member

Is their new coaster finished yet or are they still waiting for the balance to turn green like in RCT?

Poisson, NuttySquirrel, D4n and 4 others like this.