• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Food & Beverage: The Aramark Era begins

The Wetherspoons comparisons aren't overly representative, as the quality as Secret Garden is somewhat superior to the quality as Wetherspoons. But still, an increase from £14.95 to £22 for any dish is astonishing.

Just seen this post on our Facebook page:

For reference, a Wetherspoons fish and chips is currently £8.15 including a drink. I get that the economics of scale are against Alton Towers and that they will always charge a premium because of convenience but charging £18 for a fish and chips is a bit ridiculous. And then £22 for bangers and mash is just daylight robbery!

WTF those prices are crazy!

I don't get why Sausage and mash is more expensive than fish and chips? Cod is much more expensive than sausage.

Just checked a gastropub near me (menu) and cumberland sausage and mash is £10 (cheap), fish and chips is £16 which seems fair. I paid £11 for fish and chips takeaway a few weeks ago.

£22 for sausage and mash means I'd never order that, whereas £18 for fish (assuming its cod) and chips seems fair if it is good quality.

£22 for sausage and mash is quite frankly obscene. How on earth can they justify that?
Absolutely farcical. Even the finest mash laced with loads of butter and cream is pence per person, and the finest sausages in Waitrose work out at £2 for 3 sausages. Gravy isn’t even worth working out how much per portion, it’ll be about 2p. I haven’t even taken into account Merlin’s / Aramark’s food procurement deals in those costings.

For comparison, The Ivy in London, arguably one of the most famous restaurants in the capital with a timeless reputation for decent British food and service, are currently charging £28.50 for a set 3 course lunch and early dinner menu. Just think about that for a second!

Note that Aramak have not taken over F&B at Alton Towers yet, just the southern parks according to a TS reply on the original post. I think it will be interesting to see how prices change after the takeover.

For comparison, The Ivy in London, arguably one of the most famous restaurants in the capital with a timeless reputation for decent British food and service, are currently charging £28.50 for a set 3 course lunch and early dinner menu. Just think about that for a second!

Also Haddock and Chips at the Ivy is only £18.75.
Or if you go to the Ivy Grill at Covent Garden only £14.75 for fish and chips (doesn't state what fish though). Their shepherds pie is £14.75 at the grill restaurant or £19.50 at the original Ivy, a dish that is probably comparable to sausage and mash.

Although if comparing theme park to theme park Alton Towers prices do compare with many Disneyworld restaurants, where a main course is often around $30 (around £22) plus tax and tip. Not sure how they compare to Europa or Phantasialand.

Lots of posh pub prices round here have gone up around 30% in recent months.
Out tonight (to a nemesis/big one linked pub)...will feed back on prices later!

No one’s travelling to eat at SGR, they rely entirely on a captive audience. They’re clearly taking advantage of said captive audience and I’m sure it’s going to leave a sour taste in many guests’ mouths.

Price gouging at its finest.

Last edited:
Flambo's Jambo slapped tonight. Real problem is the drinks, Dragon Bar is a nightmare, pick a random cocktail off of the menu and i guarantee they will look at you clueless as to what you just asked for.

Flambo's Jambo slapped tonight. Real problem is the drinks, Dragon Bar is a nightmare, pick a random cocktail off of the menu and i guarantee they will look at you clueless as to what you just asked for.
How much is Flambos now? Has that gone up massively like SG?

The service in Dragon Bar has been bad for as long as I can remember, coming up to 10 years. It’s the only bar I know where there is always a massive queue, the staff seem unable to make or serve any basic drink, and it’s as if their training program is to train you on how not to work in a bar.

You then often get a group of managers who just walk past the busy bar and ignore it (not all of them I might add, as one did start serving the other week).

I just don’t get why it’s so hard for them to serve quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much is Flambos now? Has that gone up massively like SG?

The service in Dragon Bar has been bad for as long as I can remember, coming up to 10 years. It’s the only bar I know where there is always a massive queue, the staff seem unable to make or serve any basic drink, and it’s as if their training program is to train you on how not to work in a bar.

You then often get a group of managers who just walk past the busy bar and ignore it (not all of them I might add, as one did start serving the other week).

I just don’t get why it’s so hard for them to serve quickly.
£43 for two of us with drinks. This is after pass discount. Really can't complain about that! As for the dragon bar it was fine pre pandemic, I recall having them make pitchers of long islands in 2019 and getting quite drunk.

Quality and choice has definitely declined at Woodcutters already this season.

It was the highlight of many trips to the park for me last season.

No longer