• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

Rob

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance
Well, seeing as the Euros are currently taking place we need somewhere to discuss football!

Who watched the England game earlier? What did you think? Personally I feel that it is a good point to start the competition, France are a decent side and we played well at times. We looked very determined and played well as a team. I was very impressed with the performance of Parker, he excelled which is not something I was expecting.

:)

Fairly good performance by England I thought, and good draw against a strong side (with the ref's help ;)). A few good performances from Gerard and Parker, keeping the shape of the midfield and some great balls into the box, with Oxlade-Chamberlain standing out for me with good runs with and without the ball.

Overall, a good start to the Euro's, and hopefully we'll beat Sweden.

COME ON ENGLAND!

From what I've seen, England seemed sharp and held together nicely. Hart was a saviour at many times though which is worrying. We need some more motivators in the squad now that we don't have Rio, Lamps and Barry.

I expected Sweden maybe to lost but not just lose heart though.

France should have won! That's all :p
(even if I actually didn't watch the game)

France was in my opinion the strongest team in our group (With the refs help) and to grab a draw is great. Oxlade-Chamberlain and Welbeck were the two England players which I think stood out, and I can't wait too see what else they've got up there sleeves.

I think we have a pretty good chance in getting past the group stages, but beyond that, I'm not too sure. C'mon England!

A strong performance, that I felt fell a little flat in the final 20 minutes.

I was surprised that France managed to avoid any bookings, I think the Cynical fouls are just as bad, if not worse than some of the lunges that got England Players booked.

A point is a solid base to build on, we just need to defend well, and make sure we win the next two.

Ian

England played quite well. We dominated the first half and deserved the goal, but we went dry in the second half and France looked so much more comfortable on the ball and passed it easily while England looked like they didn't want the ball.

Anyway we know have to win the next two games. :)

Come On England! ;)

Inglund played much better than I was expecting to be fair.

If they beat Sweden, Wayne Rooney should NOT automatically start the game against Ukraine.

Stevie G and Parker tired badly, but hopefully that was due to the heat.

Wellbeck needs to improve his first touch, and stay in the box rather than drop in to collect the ball.

Think we need to defend the edge of the box a little better, France had too many free swings at goal from that range.

Other than that a good team performance

Young and the Ox were great

Gerrard is about finished now for me, a central defender needs to be able to cover box to box continuously - it's just getting beyond him now. On the wing, you can get away with it until you're 40 if you have the tricks and the skill.

Danny Welbeck was outstanding for me!
Happy with the result, would have taken that any day of the week!
Nasri was very impressive for France I thought, and Diarra was good, stopped Young from getting a sniff in the game (apart from the one time he was overran, with the Ox coming in centrally letting young free to slip in Milner to have a great chance).
Do England need 5 in midfield? I thought we was going to get massively overrun yesterday but Gerrard and in particular Parker did well to cover a lot of ground, but they was shattered, and with a game every 4 days?

I was very pleased with our performance. I've grown bored of watching England recently, mainly due to our uninspiring, unexciting style of play. I felt we played a good game yesterday. There were times when we sat back and absorbed the pressure but we faired well.

Parker felt the heat towards the end. There were points where he just could not get back, he was well and truly pooped. All in all a good start.

Delighted that Ukraine picked up the win last night, to say I wasn't expecting it would be an understatement. Sheva scoring twice to win in the country's capital is one of my favourite football moments.

Hopefully results go in Ukraine's favour again so the England game isn't a knockout match so I can actually enjoy watching it with my England supporting mates in the pub.

Just about to settle to watch the next round of games in a second.

My predictions are

Czechs 4-1 Greece (Yuracech and Salpingidis to play a key role, Greece's back 4 to let them down towards the end.)

Russia 1-1 Poland (Boring until a late surge from the hosts cause Russia to fight back very late to salvage a victory).

My predictions.

Czechs 4 - 0 Greece

Greece don't have a chance unless they get there act together, two early goals by Greece makes me think there will be more to come.

Russia 2 - 0 Poland

Russia have a much stronger team than Poland and I think the result will reflect that.

RyanYoxall said:
My predictions.

Czechs 4 - 0 Greece

Greece don't have a chance unless they get there act together, two early goals by Greece makes me think there will be more to come.

I agree with you there, but let's see what this new keeper can do. Greece need a extra man back as at times they've only had two!

The game has slowed now and Greece are finally playing some football, I think they will hold out until half time at least.

I was right about Yuracech though!

Greece had the spirit and pushed forward well but the strikers couldn't get there in time. It's a shame really since Celtic and Greece play similar. Greece are pretty much doomed now.

Russia to go through but I don't know who else at the moment as Poland could resort to the more dirty tactics showcased against Greece. I'd go for Poland after a 1-1 draw but Greece can't beat Russia.

Greece got there act together in the second half against the Czechs although it was a lucky goal. But I think they deserved a draw from there second half performance.

Russia against Poland was a very interesting match and I think that the result was fair, they both played very well and Poland attacked with confidence.

Looking forward to some more euro action. :)

two brilliant games last night. After seeing that enormous Russian flag I supported Poland last night. Fantastic game though, passion and pride balanced out with ability and technique on both sides.

Fingers crossed my bet on Greece as lowest goal scorers may just pay out (No thanks to Cech)

Stelios said:
Just about to settle to watch the next round of games in a second.

My predictions are

Czechs 4-1 Greece (Yuracech and Salpingidis to play a key role, Greece's back 4 to let them down towards the end.)

Russia 1-1 Poland (Boring until a late surge from the hosts cause Russia to fight back very late to salvage a victory).

Some good predictions there, nailed the draw and the victory for the Czechs! I look forward to seeing your next batch! :)