• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Forum Downtime This Friday 7PM and Some Team News

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.

Craig

TS Administrator
Hi all,

So a bit of an announcement from us - we'll very shortly be migrating the forum to Xenforo 2, a new version of the current forum software.

This will result in some downtime tomorrow, Friday evening (25th February) from 7PM, but will bring a number of improvements compared to what we have at present.

But first, a quick team announcement. Many of you will know @Joel from days of old, and I'm pleased to say he's making a return to the team in a technical capacity. He'll be managing the forum migration along with the new hosting it'll be running on.

Key Changes

There's a lot of changes within the new forum, but I'll point out a few key ones below:

Refreshed look
@Ian has worked incredibly hard alongside Joel to get a look which still manages to maintain the familiarity of the current design yet still be more fresh and modern.

A new post editor
We’ll have a new post editor which will bring improvements in how you compose and preview your posts:
  • Easier post previewing and editing: Previewing your posts is now much more slick, and more editing is done inline. The whole thing is much less clunky than the current setup.
  • Hosted Images: We’re now in a position to allow your images to be hosted directly on the server. So no more hunting around for an image host!
  • Emojis: We can now (finally!) support standard emojis as well Xenforo’s standard Smilies, which have also been improved.
  • GIPHY Integration: Yeah, we may regret this one, but we’ll also have GIPHY integration right from the post editor.
A new shoutbox
Although we have Discord, we know people still like to have the Shoutbox. So we’re saying goodbye to TaigaChat and moving to a new Shoutbox which is more integrated into the forum. It’ll allow for user tagging, audio notifications (if you want it) and will also allow you to open the Shoutbox in a separate window if you’d like to keep a check on it throughout the day.

Meet up RSVP integrated into the forum
As our meets revolve mainly around our forum members, we’re moving meet up RSVPs into the individual meet up topics. This should make it much easier to view who’s attending and for you to say you’re coming along too.

What other changes are there?
The new software does bring some other changes which you'll need to be aware of as some current features won't work as they did:

Circular Avatars
The new forum design incorporates circular avatars, rather than the square ones we have now. So get editing/designing your new ones! Avatars should be 400 x 400 pixels minimum to ensure they're good quality.

Unread post count

The small red unread post icon that showed next to new posts won't be part of the new forum. This was an add-on on the current forum, but we're not happy with the performance of a replacement add-on in Xenforo 2. The new posts option is still there, just the number of unread posts won't appear next to it.

Swear Filter
We're going to trial disabling the swear filter, as we're unable to enable it on a per forum basis under the new software. However, the same rules laid out in our Member Expectations still apply i.e. we ask that you refrain outside of the Tavern. We're trusting members to police themselves on this, but we will take action on posting rights if anyone is seen to be going against this.

Content Tagging
We're disabling the content tagging function. This was only used by a few people when posting new topics, so wasn't really of much use. Moving forward, the search function does as good a job at finding relevant topics.

Member Expectation Changes
We’ve made an update to our Member Expectations to cover the changes. We've added reference to image and text lines limits in signatures, and added height guidance for them too. With the addition of GIPHY integration and with more videos being embedded into topics, there's now a new section covering media using media in your posts:

Member Expectations said:
Using media in your posts
You should ensure that any images that you upload to TowersStreet are either your own, or you have full permission to do so. If this doesn’t apply, please link to the image/website with credit. Any image uploads should also be suitable for all (including uploads within the Courtyard Tavern). The team reserves the right to remove any image uploads hosted on the TowersStreet server.

TowersStreet also has the option to add GIFs to your posts, please use this option sparingly. They should also only be used to add and contribute to the discussion. If members repeatedly use the GIF feature inappropriately, then the option may be withdrawn.

Media embedding, which allows videos from sites such as YouTube to be added to posts is also available on TowersStreet. Videos should only be posted if they add something new to the discussion, and should also be accompanied by opinions or viewpoints of your own. Posting videos without your own views or opinions is considered spamming, and the team will remove posts of this nature.

Migration Information
Testing and existing content

We've been busy performing some extensive testing over the past week or so, and we're confident that we've ironed out most of the issues and problems. We'll be migrating all content from the current forum to the new ones, so no posts will be lost.

Speaking of testing, we'd like to say a huge thanks to , @AT86, @Matt N, @Danny, @Alsty, @John, @pluk and @Rick for their help in providing valuable feedback and pointing out any bugs and issues that we've missed.

When is this happening?
We're aiming to migrate the existing forum over on the evening of Friday 25th February. The forum will be locked and unavailable from around 7pm, and will later be password protected until migration and testing has completed. While the forum is down, TowersStreet Chat will remain available, and we'll aim to complete the migration as soon as possible.

What if I have a problem after migration?
We know there's a possibility that some bugs might have been missed, or there might be some issues with individual accounts. We'll have a topic in Guest Services on the new forum to report any problems. If you're unable to post in there, please either shout up in TowersStreet Chat, or drop an email to newforum[at]towersstreet.com

Finally, I just want to say a massive thanks to Joel and Ian for the substantial amount of work they've put in to get this migration done. While we've been thinking about the new forum for a while, the bulk of the work has been done in the space of pretty much one week, far faster than initially envisaged!

Hopefully that covers everything for the time being, but if you have any questions feel free to shout up :).

I'm guessing this is the new version from XenForo, if so looks nice going by the promotion material.

It is indeed :). While demo that Xenforo provides looks quite different to the new version of TowersStreet, many of the features it shows such as the new text editor are what we'll have.

It is indeed :). While demo that Xenforo provides looks quite different to the new version of TowersStreet, many of the features it shows such as the new text editor are what we'll have.

Yeah, I expected it to look different to promotional default theming and rebranded with TowerStreet styling, layout etc. My wording wasn't the best in that post.

I am concerned thou, your breaking the golden rule.. :p

A quick one with the post and topic creator does it still have the full preview setup like before where you can preview it as you're creating it full page? I'm sure you've seen the absolutely awful rambles I go on for topics usually about terrible theme parks and I quite like the fact you can preview full page before posting

Yeah, I expected it to look different to promotional default theming and rebranded with TowerStreet styling, layout etc. My wording wasn't the best in that post.

Ah it's fine. Few drinks to power us on and it'll be easy :sweatsmile:

A quick one with the post and topic creator does it still have the full preview setup like before where you can preview it as you're creating it full page? I'm sure you've seen the absolutely awful rambles I go on for topics usually about terrible theme parks and I quite like the fact you can preview full page before posting

Yup! There's a button in the top right of the editor that'll let you preview the page as it'll be published. Then you just click the button again to return to the editor :)

Know I see why @DistortAMG request of a dark mode was 'not at the top of the priority' you lot have been very busy sorting this out ;). I could tell something was going on because of the change of us from TowersStreet members to TS members.

Know I see why @DistortAMG request of a dark mode was 'not at the top of the priority' you lot have been very busy sorting this out ;). I could tell something was going on because of the change of us from TowersStreet members to TS members.

Well you don't miss much do you ;). Just for info though, we have an aim to provide a dark mode option, but it'll likely be something after launch as there's a lot of work to do on that front yet.

Well you don't miss much do you
hahaha @Burbs said the same but did a good job of keeping what was actually going on under wraps. Now I know why he was being so vague.
Just for info though, we have an aim to provide a dark mode option, but it'll likely be something after launch as there's a lot of work to do on that front yet.
I quite like the forum colours as it is but it'll be nice to be able to use the forum at night without having to get myself a new pair of sunglasses as suggested, although sunglasses just make it so I can't see at all.

Many of you will know @Joel from days of old, and I'm pleased to say he's making a return to the team in a technical capacity. He'll be managing the forum migration along with the new hosting it'll be running on.

Hahah, thanks! You know I can’t resist getting my hands dirty in some code and servers!

But it is good to be back and be useful again to the community :grinning:

Deploying on Fridays never goes wrong… if you always do it right! That’s me definitely stitching myself up tomorrow now!:laughing:

The return of the JOEL.

*insert dramatic music here*

Glad to hear that image hosting is finally a feature, I could never get my head around it before! Also the meet-up RVSP within the forum itself is a really good idea. Do when know when it will be back online?

Glad to hear that image hosting is finally a feature, I could never get my head around it before! Also the meet-up RVSP within the forum itself is a really good idea. Do when know when it will be back online?

We don't want to give a definite time in case of any issues, and we want to test everything to make sure it's right before going back online. However, test migrations have taken us a few hours, so hopefully not too long!

If the forum isn’t back by Saturday evening assume we’ve broken it beyond all repair and done a runner…

On a more seriouse note, we can’t wait for you all to see it! As Craig has already said, there are a lot of new features and tools coming, only a few of which have already been mentioned above. It’ll hopefully bring you a much easier and fresher browsing experience, that will serve us for another good few years as the current version has!

At the risk of sounding like an Apple keynote “this is the new forum, and we think you’re going to love it.” :tearsofjoy:

At the risk of sounding like an Apple keynote “this is the new forum, and we think you’re going to love it.” :tearsofjoy:

Untitled-3.png

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.