• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Forum Quick Questions

Craig

TS Administrator
Please use this topic for any quick questions regarding using the forum :)

If you're reporting an issue, it's helpful to include as much information as possible:
  • What device you were using (iOS/Android/Windows etc)
  • Your browser (e.g. Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Tapatalk)
  • If applicable the URL from your address bar for the page you were on
  • Any error messages seen
  • Screenshots are also helpful

Last edited:
So lastnight I double posted, and then got a notification asking to stop posting multiple times. Well, I couldn’t work out how to delete a post I didn’t want, and it wasn’t done on purpose. Unfortunately the forum technology doesn’t have a user manual.

So lastnight I double posted, and then got a notification asking to stop posting multiple times. Well, I couldn’t work out how to delete a post I didn’t want, and it wasn’t done on purpose. Unfortunately the forum technology doesn’t have a user manual.
So you had one post which was deleted as it was the same content as the other. However, the one you'll have got a notification for is this one where you quoted one post and replied to it, then posted again quoting another.

You can use the multiquote button (the + symbol at the bottom of each post) to add a list of quotes to reply to individually in one post. If you've missed anything from a post, you can click the edit button (the pencil symbol on your post) to add to it.

As others have mentioned, you can ask for a post to be deleted (i.e. for a double post) by hitting the report button (exclamation mark symbol) and a member of the team will remove it for you :).

I'm learning about all these interesting functions that I don't have on Tapatalk. I had no idea how people were multi quoting, or reporting posts. None of these are options on Tapatalk.

Yeah Tapatalk is extremely limited these days vs what’s available on the forum itself these days. I’m not a fan of Tapatalk these days, it’s only around still thanks to stubborn folk like you ;).

I've never used Tapatalk so unsure what any benefits of it may be, but the forum works perfectly well on mobile web browsers these days with full functionality!

I dont know internet words... Is there a reason my account seems to 'forget' what I've read after a certain timeframe? Most of the time if click a thread it takes me to where I last read up to. Pretty frequently, and I think it'll be when I've not read that thread for a couple of weeks or so, it'll take me instead to the first ever post, seemingly forgetting where im up to. Any reason for that or way to stop it? Pretty sure it's only happened since the big upgrade some months ago.

I don't think it's device related as it's the same on laptop and mobile.

If I click on a thread that has unread posts then it takes me to the first unread post. If I click on a thread that doesn't have new posts then it takes me to the start of the thread. Could that be what you've done?

I don't know why it does that though. I've always thought it would make more sense to take you to the last one in that scenario.

Yup on completely read topics clicking on the title takes you to the first post, clicking on the date underneath will take you to the last post of the topic.

That’s if you’re in the list of topics within the forum. From the front page it’ll take you to the last post still.

Taking you to the first post seems to be consistent with every forum so I assume it's built into the software somewhere.

Yup on completely read topics clicking on the title takes you to the first post, clicking on the date underneath will take you to the last post of the topic.

That’s if you’re in the list of topics within the forum. From the front page it’ll take you to the last post still.

No, they are not completely read topics, not possible as the list I'm clicking on is the unread one!

For example this morning, the currently consistently active threads (Duel, horizon etc) take me to the last unread. The bumped ones (EP chairlift) takes me to the first ever post even though I have certainly read most of it before and there's a fee new posts this morning.

The bumped ones (EP chairlift) takes me to the first ever post even though I have certainly read most of it before and there's a fee new posts this morning.
Yes I think this has always happened, very very old threads don't seem to know where you've read up to and you have to use the "jump to new" button (hidden under the cog on TST). WDWMagic forum also uses XenFora and has the same issue on old threads with new posts that you may or may not have read before.

Yeah you’re right @pluk it does seem to be an issue. I’d noted it too not long after we did the last major upgrade. I’d assumed at the time that maybe it’s topics that hadn’t been posted in since before the update, but I’ve not sunk enough time into it to try and spot a pattern.

It does seem to affect topics that you’ve previously read but that haven’t been posted in for some time. I use the “New Posts” list mainly, and selecting the title will usually go to the first unread post but occasionally in an older topic it’ll go back to the first post and I then have to jump to the last page and scroll back to see what I’ve missed.

Interesting to note it’s happening on other XenForo forums though. Will try and do some digging…

Ahh didn’t realise that you were on about topics that were so old, I was thinking a few days or a week or two.

By default Xenforo only queries the previous 30 days worth of read data. I’ve now updated that to 60 (so it’s your fault if you’ve suddenly got a load of unread stuff to go through 😉)

We’ve now gone the whole hog and bumped the limit up to 365 days (the highest XenForo allows). Brace yourselves… 😂

As Craig says, if you use the “New Posts” option with a “Watched” filter, you may now see quite a long list of topics that are unread.

If you select one of these old threads that has resurfaced in the list you might still go to page 1 the first time, but after a quick test it looks like any old ones that get posted in from now on should jump you to the post you last read in that thread :)

Anyone else get this random ‘issue’ in notifications? Previously under the info it would say how long ago the notification is from, now it says ‘later today at x’. Certainly not the end of the world, just a little strange.

Using Safari on iPhone.

21953D5C-8188-4D56-946B-938F9D0B45EF.jpeg

So I’ve just checked on my iPhone in Safari and it seems to be showing dates and times correct for me.

Can you try opening the forum in an incognito tab for me to see if they load correctly there?

It could be a temporary blip where part of the code to render the timestamp hasn’t quite loaded in properly and you’re seeing the placeholder markup instead. If you’re seeing it in regular tabs but not incognito it could then have been cached incorrectly, making you see the issue each time you load.

So you had one post which was deleted as it was the same content as the other. However, the one you'll have got a notification for is this one where you quoted one post and replied to it, then posted again quoting another.

You can use the multiquote button (the + symbol at the bottom of each post) to add a list of quotes to reply to individually in one post. If you've missed anything from a post, you can click the edit button (the pencil symbol on your post) to add to it.

As others have mentioned, you can ask for a post to be deleted (i.e. for a double post) by hitting the report button (exclamation mark symbol) and a member of the team will remove it for you :).
Thanks Craig. The first post I changed to “See below” and the one below it was the post we can see. I’ve used multiquote a few times, and know how to edit. I didn’t report it because I didn’t want to misuse that feature. Looks like I underestimated that.