• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Forum won't let me edit a post/won't save edits to a post?

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi mods,
Sorry to bother you, but as you might see if you've been in the BPB thread, I've been having a few technical difficulties with a post of mine this afternoon. I accidentally made a few mistakes while I was writing it (missed some text out and had the entire ending in italics by accident), so I went back to edit it. I was able to edit the post, but it wouldn't let me save the edits; when I pressed save, all my changes were wiped, and it went back to exactly how it was before. I found this odd, given that I could edit the post I made directly below with no issues.

I tried remedying this by copying the text from after I edited it, with the changes made, and reposting it as a new post with the edits made, but bizarrely, when I posted it, it went back to exactly how it was in the old post, and wiped all the edits once again... as I can't delete posts anymore, it's now generated a bit of a mess in the BPB thread with me trying to edit and correct mistakes to no avail. Sorry about that!

So I'm only asking; how can I remedy this, and do you know why it might be happening? Not to mention, why it's only happening with that one post...

I too have had this once a while ago. Can't remember when or where but it happened. I presume it's some sort of bug with the forum system.

Hi mods,
Sorry to bother you, but as you might see if you've been in the BPB thread, I've been having a few technical difficulties with a post of mine this afternoon. I accidentally made a few mistakes while I was writing it (missed some text out and had the entire ending in italics by accident), so I went back to edit it. I was able to edit the post, but it wouldn't let me save the edits; when I pressed save, all my changes were wiped, and it went back to exactly how it was before. I found this odd, given that I could edit the post I made directly below with no issues.

I tried remedying this by copying the text from after I edited it, with the changes made, and reposting it as a new post with the edits made, but bizarrely, when I posted it, it went back to exactly how it was in the old post, and wiped all the edits once again... as I can't delete posts anymore, it's now generated a bit of a mess in the BPB thread with me trying to edit and correct mistakes to no avail. Sorry about that!

So I'm only asking; how can I remedy this, and do you know why it might be happening? Not to mention, why it's only happening with that one post...

Probably just a bug if it's just the one post, I've not come across is happening myself. Just for reference though, if you need a post deleting/editing/anything else please use the report button. We can deal with things much quicker when we're alerted by this rather than just adding information to your post, as we may not necessarily read it.

Probably just a bug if it's just the one post, I've not come across is happening myself. Just for reference though, if you need a post deleting/editing/anything else please use the report button. We can deal with things much quicker when we're alerted by this rathe than just adding information to your post, as we may not necessarily read it.
Ah that’s brilliant, thank you! I’ll go and report all my posts in that thread and just try rewriting what I said before!

You don't need to report them now, as I know about them from this topic :tearsofjoy:. It's just for future reference, not for those current ones :).
Ah right; thanks very much! I did report my final post that was left though, as I’m going to have a go at rewriting it as a fresh post and see if the forum software plays ball this time, and I wouldn’t want to be accused of double posting!

Ah right; thanks very much! I did report my final post that was left though, as I’m going to have a go at rewriting it as a fresh post and see if the forum software plays ball this time, and I wouldn’t want to be accused of double posting!

I thought you said it was just one post? In which case, editing that post should work.

I thought you said it was just one post? In which case, editing that post should work.
Let me have a go… I could edit the post I made directly below asking you about the issue with no problems, but both posts with the same text as one another were ones I couldn’t edit. Bizarre, I know…

Sorry to double post, but I tried editing, and it didn’t work… even though it said I’d edited it, it looked exactly the same as before. Bizarre… I’ll have a go at rewriting it.

Sorry to double post, but I tried editing, and it didn’t work… even though it said I’d edited it, it looked exactly the same as before. Bizarre… I’ll have a go at rewriting it.

Might be an idea to try a different browser or something if it crops up again. I've just tried editing and worked fine on that post, so a bizarre one! Anyway, I'll delete that post and create a new reply on this occasion.

Might be an idea to try a different browser or something if it crops up again. I've just tried editing and worked fine on that post, so a bizarre one! Anyway, I'll delete that post and create a new reply on this occasion.
Thanks Craig… bizarrely, it did the same thing with my new post, even though I used none of the same text! Maybe the BPB thread just doesn’t like me this afternoon?

Sorry to cause so many issues… I was just genuinely baffled, as it’s literally only in that thread when I try and write that particular text!

Thanks Craig… bizarrely, it did the same thing with my new post, even though I used none of the same text! Maybe the BPB thread just doesn’t like me this afternoon?

Sorry to cause so many issues… I was just genuinely baffled, as it’s literally in only that thread when I try and write that particular text!

What are you trying to do with the post, remove the italics? Because there's additional text on your new reply so it's not the same post?

What are you trying to do with the post, remove the italics? Because there's additional text on your new reply so it's not the same post?
Yes; it also removed square brackets that I tried to put in as well (“”)

I know for a fact that I didn’t even press the italic button on this post, so I just found it a little bizarre… sorry to cause so much bother!

It’s done it with that one too; I think the forum software just doesn’t like square brackets this afternoon, it seems… I was trying to put “I” in square brackets, but it kept removing the square brackets and the content inside of them, and making everything afterwards italic!

Bizarre… sorry to cause you so much unnecessary bother @Craig! Maybe I’d be better just avoiding square brackets in future!

It’s done it with that one too; I think the forum software just doesn’t like square brackets this afternoon, it seems… I was trying to put “I” in square brackets, but it kept removing the square brackets and the content inside of them, and making everything afterwards italic!

Bizarre…
Doesn't it use square brackets for quotes and things. Perhaps its something to do with the way it works.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Doesn't it use square brackets for quotes and things. Perhaps its something to do with the way it works.

Perhaps so; I don’t really know, to be honest!

Yup that's the problem you're using square brackets which are used in BB code. So the forum software is interpreting that and the letter I in your posts as italics. Remove those and it'll be fine

Yeah its like how file systems work. I could be completely wrong . I'd try deleting your browser history or restarting your computer.

The post worked fine as soon as I removed the square brackets! So I think I’ve ascertained that square brackets are the problem here… maybe I should just try curly brackets in future, or at least something different from regular brackets that implies that I’m paraphrasing?

Sorry about distracting you all (particularly @Craig) over such an inconsequential issue, and for creating such a mess in the BPB thread!
EDIT: Ah, I get what you mean; maybe I should just avoid putting I into square brackets, as the system clearly interprets I in square brackets as meaning that I want to write in italics!

Last edited:
Bizarrely, the post worked fine as soon as I removed the square brackets! So I think I’ve ascertained that square brackets are the problem here… maybe I should just try curly brackets in future, or at least something different from regular brackets that implies that I’m paraphrasing?

Sorry about distracting you all (particularly Craig) over such an inconsequential issue!
Yes like as @Craig said above its how the system works. Id just use cutely brackets.