• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

'Geeky' Alton Towers Pictures

Olii

TS Member
I'm sure I'm not alone in liking so called 'geeky' shots of rides, like close ups of sensors and computer systems, or inside maintenance sheds, wheel assemblies, that sort of thing.

So, here is a topic to share such shots of rides at Alton Towers, if you would care to be so kind! I'm sorry that I don't have any to share to begin with! Haha.

Im sure if you check out all the behinds the scenes photos you will find plenty of geeky pictures to fulfill your every whim :)

I must admit I do like the more "geeky" stuff. I don't however actually like it being called "geeky". Yeah I like to see a ride do its thing and like to know a bit about what makes it work, but the number of bolts or how many chain links wouldn't interest me in the slightest.

Now I do have a few pictures, but in honesty, there are probably better quality ones out there and most of mine were taken whilst I worked there and Im not sure the park would be too happy with me sharing them.

Not really anything too interesting, but this photo shows the underside of an Oblivion shuttle and some of the workings:
SDC131601280x960.jpg

BigDave said:
I must admit I do like the more "geeky" stuff. I don't however actually like it being called "geeky". Yeah I like to see a ride do its thing and like to know a bit about what makes it work, but the number of bolts or how many chain links wouldn't interest me in the slightest.

Hence the quotation marks :) I couldn't really think of another way to classify all the types of pictures I wanted to encompass.

But thanks for sharing the pic anyway! :)

Yeah don't worry. I wasn't offended and I too couldn't think of a better term at first. I guess it's just unusual and behind the scenes shots of rides.

Heres on of inside Nemesis' garage showing test dummies about to ride: (Nothing I think Towers should get upset about)
DSC000532.jpg

Heres another I have found whilst quickly going through my SSD's. Its of Blade's old style control panel. Its since changed so I don't think the park will mind me posting this. Also I have blurred out the text on the control panel as well.
DSC00289_zps7a09daca.jpg

Loads of decent ones over at Towers Almanac

Another photo here showing Air's brake run. Notice the pipe to carry air to the trim brake after the bunny hops has been disconnected (bottom left), but (as far as Im still aware) the sensors are still wired up to provide speed and timing information to the computer.
DSC00287_zps5c1b72a5.jpg

Sorry about the quality, these were taken on my old digital camera

I don't own this photo. It was posted onto the Air mini site by Alton Towers, but it shows construction of what would eventually be in the foreground Air Shop, in the middle is the merge point of the queueline and the brake run and in the distance is the maintenance garage.
air15_zps5409e343.jpg