• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

General Queue Times Discussion 2023

Had a few great rides so far particularly Rita! Just caught the last train on The Smiler as it’s temporarily down as they are taking a train off, riding good though!

Had a few great rides so far particularly Rita! Just caught the last train on The Smiler as it’s temporarily down as they are taking a train off, riding good though!
Mmm wonder why they're taking a train off? I guess it'll be because of stacking. I'm just stuck in the SRQ atm🙄. Shawn is doing smiler all day. His challenge is to reach 500 inversions. So he's basically aiming for at least 36 goes. Nor sure how many he's on already but this delay won't help

Mmm wonder why they're taking a train off? I guess it'll be because of stacking. I'm just stuck in the SRQ atm🙄. Shawn is doing smiler all day. His challenge is to reach 500 inversions. So he's basically aiming for at least 36 goes. Nor sure how many he's on already but this delay won't help
A couple of years ago at Scarefest, late afternoon, I was in the air gates on Blivvy when they decided to add another shuttle. By the time we got on it was dark, so we got an impromptu night ride on it. :tearsofjoy:

Is the baggage hold open on Smiler?

If the ride’s stacking, I’m guessing that it started on 4 and they’re moving it down to 3; I seem to remember 3 trains often leading to stacking without the baggage hold, and 4 trains often leading to double stacking, although I could be wrong there.

So if the baggage hold is closed, I’m guessing that 3 trains is probably stacking?

3 trains does seem a logical guess given that it’s currently on a 60 minute queue.

If the ride’s stacking, I’m guessing that it started on 4 and they’re moving it down to 3; I seem to remember 3 trains often leading to stacking without the baggage hold, and 4 trains often leading to double stacking, although I could be wrong there.
It's on 3 with baggage hold. Was on 4 but presumably they took it off because it was stacking. No stacking now that its on 3. Only problem is you have to wait for a train to get into the station sometimes now

I heard him telling someone that whilst I was in the SRQ. Galactica ops are doing a fab job just waited 5 minutes when it was advertised 20, everyone is using side 1 with basically no one using side 2, currently in a 20 minute queue for Nemesis

I heard him telling someone that whilst I was in the SRQ. Galactica ops are doing a fab job just waited 5 minutes when it was advertised 20, everyone is using side 1 with basically no one using side 2, currently in a 20 minute queue for Nemesis
I'm taking on Shawn in. About an hour behind though as I started at 11 but I'll do the best I can. This challenge is great fun going round and round

I'm taking on Shawn in. About an hour behind though as I started at 11 but I'll do the best I can. This challenge is great fun going round and round
You might have been in the single rider line at the same time as me then! I’m queueing for wicker man but will probably get another couple in on smiler as I’m waiting for Oblivion’s queue to drop as after Wicker Man it’s the only coaster I’ve not done, besides Spinball but it looks like it’s going to be closed all day

You might have been in the single rider line at the same time as me then! I’m queueing for wicker man but will probably get another couple in on smiler as I’m waiting for Oblivion’s queue to drop as after Wicker Man it’s the only coaster I’ve not done, besides Spinball but it looks like it’s going to be closed all day
Smiler down due to 'high winds'. The wind speed is currently 18mph. Bloody hell if it can't operate in that then there's no hope. Its always the 2 x sector rides aswell. Bizarre

1653660428026.png

Smiler down due to 'high winds'. The wind speed is currently 18mph. Bloody hell if it can't operate in that then there's no hope. Its always the 2 x sector rides aswell. Bizarre

Seems quite accurate, currently showing 17 knots (19.5mph) on the Smiler site, at ground level. In fairness, X-Sector is quite exposed from the North West, exactly the direction the wind is blowing from now. From other directions the actual speed in X-Sector might be lower, due to more shelter. But from the North West it is relatively open topography wise. North East seems to be able to sustain winds over the site too, the rest of the weekend the wind direction is coming from other directions, more sheltered directions, as a result, the figures are in the mid single digits.

Last edited:
Oblivion and The Smiler are closed due to wind but Thirteen is down as well and spinball and funk n fly both look dead

At least they’ve started putting the reason on the app as well. Although the wind speed doesn’t seem that drastic enough - perhaps it’s more so the direction of the wind? Bit of a shame that the others are closed too.

Attachments

• 9A287280-944F-4A73-9094-1B8D89D7998D.jpeg
    9A287280-944F-4A73-9094-1B8D89D7998D.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 18
It has been very windy today, with big gusts blowing on top of the steady 20mph winds.
My roofer was sent home for safety after lunch.
Big gusts cause stalls, constant steady winds are easier to manage.
30 to 35mph gusts forecast all afternoon at alton.

It has been very windy today, with big gusts blowing on top of the steady 20mph winds.
My roofer was sent home for safety after lunch.
Big gusts cause stalls, constant steady winds are easier to manage.
30 to 35mph gusts forecast all afternoon at alton.
Plus on oblivion, I certainly wouldn’t want to be part of an evac from the top of that drop in high winds! It’s probably the most exposed area on park for high winds.

I noticed on a visit a few weeks ago that rides start to close once the wind gets close to 20mph (the weather app on your phone can usually show you the wind speed). On that particular day Oblivion, Smiler, Spinball, Rita and 13 all closed for about an hour.

It’s windy here and they’ve been sending The Smiler round empty so not sure why it’s classed as closed because of wind. Funk n Fly, Thirteen, Spinball Whizzer and Rita are not wind related however - and the day hasn’t ended great. Rides with issues not related to wind have been down since about 2:30 - the wind closures I can accept, but it’s been less than a great end. Stood in about a 45 minute Wicker Man queue now because it’s genuinely one of the only things open to do. Galactica and Nemesis are the only other coasters currently open