• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Going On Holiday 2021

Jb85

TS Member
Hi all
Hope your good?
I like many are looking at family holidays for this year. we usually go European but given the circumstances, want to do UK this year.

so.... where is best? We’re a family of 6, aged range for kids between 3-12 so need plenty to do. Ideally want somewhere quiet, nice picturesque beach. Happy to rent a cottage or caravan it. Open to all ideas

and....I’m off to New York in December with her indoors. Other than the standard tourist spots, any ideas for things to do?

Personally I’d avoid Wales this year, far too unpredictable with the travel bans and I’m not sure how much will be left of the tourist economy come March.
Watermouth Cove is nice in North Devon, fantastic beach’s around there.
For your kids ages Bournemouth is also worth a look as Peppa Pig world is not far away.

As for New York it is hard not doing just the tourist thing, there is so much to do but definitely walk across Brooklyn Bridge and use the tourist buses.
My favourite place was the Metropolitan Museum of Art, I’m not really an art fan but to see such iconic pieces close up, photos just don’t do them justice with the colours.

Personally I’d avoid Wales this year, far too unpredictable with the travel bans and I’m not sure how much will be left of the tourist economy come March.
Watermouth Cove is nice in North Devon, fantastic beach’s around there.
For your kids ages Bournemouth is also worth a look as Peppa Pig world is not far away.

As for New York it is hard not doing just the tourist thing, there is so much to do but definitely walk across Brooklyn Bridge and use the tourist buses.
My favourite place was the Metropolitan Museum of Art, I’m not really an art fan but to see such iconic pieces close up, photos just don’t do them justice with the colours.

Water mouth Cove - by Watermouth Castle? Is that still a thing? Or gone bust?

thanks for the museum tip. Never thought of that.

Last edited:
In the UK Devon/Cornwall is beautiful. Plenty to see and do, lovely beaches, and a few little parks that offer fun for all ages.

New York. Might be worth seeing a game or gig at Madison Square Gardens. Think usually around then you've got the NHL and NBA seasons going on.
Staten Island Ferry as well, great views across to Liberty Island. Get to the other side and then run round and get the same ferry back.
Suppose there's the giant mall and Nickelodeon Universe in New Jersey as well.
Also when I visited I did the Sopranos tour which involved getting a coach from 6th Avenue and going over to New Jersey to see places they filmed including the Bada Bing, and Holsteins were they filmed the final scene of the show.

Hi all
Hope your good?
I like many are looking at family holidays for this year. we usually go European but given the circumstances, want to do UK this year.

so.... where is best? We’re a family of 6, aged range for kids between 3-12 so need plenty to do. Ideally want somewhere quiet, nice picturesque beach. Happy to rent a cottage or caravan it. Open to all ideas

and....I’m off to New York in December with her indoors. Other than the standard tourist spots, any ideas for things to do?

Cornwall is definitely a great shout. Kynance Cove is glorious and Penzance, Falmouth, the Minack, Lands end, The Lizard are all great stops in South Cornwall. You may even be able to do Flambards if it's open!

I'd argue Wales has been no less predictable than England and Scotland. It's been pubs and restaurants that have taken the brunt of it, so easily manageable if you're happy with a beer & BBQ on the beach. ( Just need the weather)

I'd champion North Wales - get a cottage/caravan in the north west Wales or along the Llyn Peninsula. You'll have a good base to reach Zip World, Bounce Below, Fforest coaster, Ffestiniog railway, Quarry Karts, Snowdon & Snowdonia, Electric Mountain, Anglesey, Criccieth Castle, Harlech Castle, Caernarfon Caste, Llandudno pier, Bedd Gelert, Greenwood "theme" park, Hafan Y Mor, Gwrwch Castle (I'm a celebrity), Beaumarais Castle, Puffin Island, etc... Should all be within a 90minute drive radius of a well based stop. Plenty of hidden gem beaches, I'd go for Whistling Sands (one of 2 beaches in the world where the sand squeaks under foot) or Church Bay up in Anglesey. Or head to the Ty Coch Inn (regularly voted best pub in Wales). Unfortunately wind and rain can ruin a holiday quite quickly in North Wales :(

NY - we got the New York Pass and in hindsight it probably worked out even to what we would have spent doing everything at cost. However the buses are a great way to get around the city at eye level. If you have to choose between Empire State and Rockefeller, I'd go with Empire. It's a great experience inside and offers great views over South Manhattan, try to get there just before dusk to see NY in the day and night. Do Rockefeller in the day as the views of Central Park are great. I'd certainly be generous with the time you allocate to Liberty Island/Ellis Island as there is a lot more to check out than you'll realize. Also if you want to go in the Crown of Statue of Liberty, book now. It's a severely limited space and sells out months ahead of time. The Staten Island ferry (Bright orange one from the film's) is FREE! A round trip is about an hour, it's a great free cruise on the Hudson and you can grab Beer and Food. It also offers some great views of the south part of the island. We went to the Central Railroad of New Jersey Railroad, which is a old and almost abandoned Railway station. It's part of Liberty park which might be too cold of a walk in December but does again offer more unique views of the Statue of Liberty and South Manhattan. Plus we keep seeing it films and TV shows now :D https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Railroad_of_New_Jersey_Terminal. The Jersey ferry from the Statue of Liberty heads directly to it.

Hope something in there helps :)

I have a boat moored in North Wales and although lots to do over there and it is pretty, this year has been awful visitor wise.
They opened up months behind England and locked down weeks before, if your from England you basically had eight weeks or you lost your holiday, I still wouldn’t risk it personally this year, not with those idiots they have in charge.
My boat will be moved to the south of England in the next few weeks and a lot of other owners from England are also following suit.

I think finding somewhere quiet in the UK this year once we are allowed out recreationally is going to be a big ask, especially if you are looking for touristy activity places. I'd write off picturesque and quiet this year, just bite the bullet and go to Butlins which can only get as busy as its accommodation capacity and will keep the kids entertained. Going to be some hellish scenes in the wild.

I think finding somewhere quiet in the UK this year once we are allowed out recreationally is going to be a big ask, especially if you are looking for touristy activity places. I'd write off picturesque and quiet this year, just bite the bullet and go to Butlins which can only get as busy as its accommodation capacity and will keep the kids entertained. Going to be some hellish scenes in the wild.

I did think that or center parcs

I did think that or center parcs

Ivr not been under the restrictions, but I think CP have a tougher time with their activities under regulations I don't know about you but I spend about half my time on a CP holiday in the pool, with that cut down to 1 or 2 3 hour sessions there's a lot of demand on expensive alternatives.

I have been to Butlins during pandemic and although they have similar pool restrictions the free fairground and shows still work well to soak up the visitors and keep you entertained at no extra cost.