• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Harry Potter Discussion!

Jono

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
Hey everybody!

So surprised that there has not been a topic about this! Basically anything to do with Harry Potter!

A few topic starters to get the topic going!

Does anyone think that J.K Rowling should write a new Harry Potter book? Or something to do with it? I have heard recently that she is currently writing a new book which has nothing to do with Harry Potter and will be aimed at adults.

If you were at Hogwarts, what house would you be in? What lessons would you like to take? Would you be a muggle, Half-blood or pure-blood? Which teacher at Hogwarts is your favourite? What job would you like to have in the Wizarding World?

Do you think the Harry Potter series deserves the fame it is getting? Do you like the movies? DO you like the books? Which book is your favourite? Which movie is your favourite? Do you prefer the movies or books? Why?

You can also post some funny Harry Potter Pictures if you like!

Thanks!

cool_boy_jon ;)

I love everything to do with Harry Potter, but no, she shouldn't do another book, it's finished and as far as I'm concerned, can go no further. What I would like to see is more of an appendix book. I know that Pottermore is sort of catering for that, but I was hoping for more background into the characters and books than there actually is. According to Pottermore I am a Hufflepuff, which I don't mind as basically they're the nice ones!

If you haven't been to the WarnerBros. Studio Tour, get yourself down there as it is awesome!

Pixie-Ro said:
I love everything to do with Harry Potter, but no, she shouldn't do another book, it's finished and as far as I'm concerned, can go no further. What I would like to see is more of an appendix book. I know that Pottermore is sort of catering for that, but I was hoping for more background into the characters and books than there actually is. According to Pottermore I am a Hufflepuff, which I don't mind as basically they're the nice ones!

If you haven't been to the WarnerBros. Studio Tour, get yourself down there as it is awesome!

I went to the Wizarding World in Orlando last summer! It was AMAZING!

I know what you mean with the appendix and I totally agree with you on it!

I've been a Potter fan since I was born. I got the books read to me when I went to bed!
I read the books first, of course!

Now, it would be great for JK Rowling to write another Potter book, possibly about what happened in the future, or side stories about other characters. In fact, I remember her saying something about this!

I'd be in Gryffindor, as Pottermore decided for me (BETA user FTW!), and I've always said that. I guess that I'd be a muggle-born, but what's to stop me being a great wizard? I'd love to be an Auror as well! It looks like the best job ever! I wouldn't really have a favourite teacher, but, if I had to choose, I'd say Lupin or Hagrid. Both amazing people!

The films are amazing, although the books are better in my opinion. They deserve all of the credit they get, as, they are the best films ever in my opinion! My favourite film is Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, but my favourite book is Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. They are both action packed, as well as funny!

I'll get to the Studio tour soon as it looks amazing, but I haven't had time to go yet!

There's just one question that's bugging me now:

WHERE'S THE UK WIZARDING WORLD OF HARRY POTTER?

Longy said:
There's just one question that's bugging me now:

WHERE'S THE UK WIZARDING WORLD OF HARRY POTTER?

There isnt one in the UK! As I said, Its in Orlando! At Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure!

Its really great there, they actually built Hogwarts and on the inside is a ride. They also built the whole of Hogsmeade which has all the shops like Honeydukes! Its AWESOME!

I think the reason we don't see many topics about this is because the last few times we have it tends to get a rather negative response and unnecessary comparison to Twilight (which I ban henceforth)

Now that I’ve got that out the way I can say that I really enjoy the Harry Potter books. It’s easy to undermine them by calling them badly written but I personally feel it’s just a different style of writing. Until the Harry Potter books came along I was a terrible reader but these were the books that first helped me overcome that. This is why I believe it deserves the fame it got (and I should note I started reading them before they became famous).

However I don’t think there should be another Harry Potter book. I love the deep story and the slowly developing history of each character but it only works because the series was planned as 7 parts. Tacking on another book would just feel out of place.

Favourite house: Always liked Ravenclaw

The Movies I think are overrated and only above average at best. I’ve never felt they truly understand what makes the books so special. What’s worse is that they usually went out of their way to change scenes that didn’t need changing, often altering the well crafted story arcs in the process. The third film particularly annoys me as it is my favourite book but I think the film is as unfaithful as it’s possible to be. Annoyingly though it is a decent film, just not a Harry Potter film. I’m slightly more in favour of the ride although from watching POV’s I do think it’s too in love with Harry Potter to realise that it is the universe as a whole that is the main draw and not the title character.

Right, I think I’ve said what I need to :p

Longy said:
I'd be in Gryffindor, as Pottermore decided for me (BETA user FTW!),

I'll get to the Studio tour soon as it looks amazing, but I haven't had time to go yet!

I would have been a BETA user, but unfortunately I was in Orlando at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter when you could register :p ;)

Oh heck, you've asked too many questions in a short space of time! :p This is going to take a while!

Does anyone think that J.K Rowling should write a new Harry Potter book? Or something to do with it?

No and I don't believe she'll jump back to the series anytime soon. Unless she takes on an encyclopedia project among the same lines of Pottermore then taking on new and unique projects is the way forwards. Sure, they may not be based around the Wizarding World but authors always have a spring of imagination to use and create new universes. I equally support Rowling's decision to write a book aimed for adults, to shake up the equilibrium and expectations to say the least.

Hogwarts

Now my house, as proven by Pottermore, is definitely Ravenclaw although I was expecting myself to be a Hufflepuff out of not fancying a greater role than the other houses.
History of Magic, Transfiguration, Care of Magical Creatures and I guess Dark Arts to an extent. The former two are probably the ones I'd excel in most, it's a possibility Astronomy wouldn't go amiss.
Blood line, teacher and job I personally have no idea to be honest (considering how this is fictional thus I can't help maintaining a degree of reality, apologies!).

The series itself

Whilst those who decline to read the books, watch the films or do any research seem to think of it as being merely for kids, I believe the series deserves the fame because it draws out so many allegories about life, the events we've seen, us as beings and how we see the world. It is far more than just a fantasy series and has far more in depth detail to the nature than the dreaded Twilight saga (the only comparison of which is the popularity and nothing else).

Then again you don't always have to become a great big geek to enjoy something!

I personally adore the series and I don't find myself hating a particular section, the most is that parts could have been improved on from minor to major and that tends to stand with the films.
To be honest I do have to side with the opinion over the films because they had a great tendency to change scenes that didn't require it. As Tim says the adaptations didn't have a great understanding of why the book were so special, whilst there were moments that made me feel properly connected with the story and characters, most of the time I just enjoyed the cinematography, the music etc. I do feel they had a right to be a part of the series in some strange way.

Not sure if any of that makes sense but all in all I'm quite proud to be a childhood enthusiast of the Wizarding World series (I 'HUH' at the 'Potter series' use since it isn't all about our main protagonist) and I don't think that'll be going any time soon. It's certainly a series I'll read to my children in the future!

Longy said:
I've been a Potter fan since I was born. I got the books read to me when I went to bed!

Can I just add that this makes me feel very old? I was at university when the books first came out!

I love both the books and the films, but I do have to seperate them in my head, as I was disappointed in the first few films. Once I stopped comparing them to the books, however, I really enjoyed them. When they first started making the films, the books hadn't been finished, and they weren't sure how long it would take JK to write them, and so they fully anticipated having to change the actors halfway through the series, as they thought they would age too quickly. Can you imagine if they had actually done that? It would have been awful! I will be the first to admit that the acting sometimes isn't the best, but for me there could never be another trio.
What I do find annoying is that the film makers assume that everyone has read the books, and so seem to miss out quite important parts of the storyline. This inevitably led to the car ride home from the cinema being filled with a Q and A session from my husband, who, despite my many attempts, will not read the books :( I can cope with this though as he does love the films, and allowed me to make us get to the cinema an hour before the film started so we could queue to get decent seats! He still does not understand basic wand lore though...*sigh*

I love Harry Potter! It was my childhood, ever since reading the first book and watching the first film at the age of 8. The series encapsulates what is good about children's books (and books in general) - morals, creating long lasting characters and sheer page turning genius.

As for the films, I think the three actors chose for Harry, Ron and Hermione were all perfect choices - all exactly how I imagined them to look according to JK's descriptions. It is saddening that there is little to no chance of there being a Wizarding World of Harry Potter in the UK (even though that is where the majority of fans are from), due to Universal having no established base here. Hopefully one day Merlin see sense and somehow acquire the IP for a new area of the park dedicated to Harry Potter - it would increase the profile of Towers incredibly!

Overall, I like Lord of the Rings. However, I do feel that Tolkien kind of rips off Harry Potter in many ways. There are several parallels, such as elves, dwarfs, wizards, goblins, trolls, magic (especially invisibility), etc. Sauron is referred to as “Dark Lord” just like Voldemort is. There is also the elder white-haired bearded wizard who serves as a mentor, Gandalf, who is reminiscent of Dumbledore. Some of the character names are similar, such as Wormtongue as opposed to Wormtail, too. There is even a gigantic spider (Shelob) at the end of “The Two Towers” that reminds one of Aragog from Chamber of Secrets. I even noticed that the plots of both series begin with the protagonists’ birthday. Now I see that Tolkien, this unoriginal bastard, is coming out with The Hobbit in December. This would be fine, but why didn’t he just write this book first to begin with? I still like Lord of the Rings, though–don’t get me wrong–but I wonder if Tolkien has ever said in interviews whether he borrowed elements from Harry Potter. I’ll be watching the extended DVDs later this week and I think he’s featured on the commentary track, so I look forward to that.

Fredward said:
Overall, I like Lord of the Rings. However, I do feel that Tolkien kind of rips off Harry Potter in many ways. There are several parallels, such as elves, dwarfs, wizards, goblins, trolls, magic (especially invisibility), etc. Sauron is referred to as “Dark Lord” just like Voldemort is. There is also the elder white-haired bearded wizard who serves as a mentor, Gandalf, who is reminiscent of Dumbledore. Some of the character names are similar, such as Wormtongue as opposed to Wormtail, too. There is even a gigantic spider (Shelob) at the end of “The Two Towers” that reminds one of Aragog from Chamber of Secrets. I even noticed that the plots of both series begin with the protagonists’ birthday. Now I see that Tolkien, this unoriginal bastard, is coming out with The Hobbit in December. This would be fine, but why didn’t he just write this book first to begin with? I still like Lord of the Rings, though–don’t get me wrong–but I wonder if Tolkien has ever said in interviews whether he borrowed elements from Harry Potter. I’ll be watching the extended DVDs later this week and I think he’s featured on the commentary track, so I look forward to that.

Advanced-Sarcasm_c_118631.jpg

I don't think she should write another book. The series is complete as it is. According to Pottermore I'm in Ravenclaw which is the one I've wanted to be in since I read the books.My wand is eleven three quarter inches and dragon core I think ;D

Sorry for double post. I'd love learning Quidditch and Defence against the dark arts. I think they'd be my best two subjects