• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

HD Nemesis Advert

LiamC

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Hex
My humblest apologies if this has been posted/shown before, but I thought I would share this with people.

I stumbled across this whilst trawling YouTube and felt it should be shown. Someone has tinkered with the original '94 ad for Nemesis and uploaded it in glorious high definition and it does look quite something.

http://youtu.be/dO5cfGvLgq0

Mods, if this has been shared or a topic exists, please feel free to lock and delete :)

It's such a spine chilling advert that you can't resist watching again and again, urgh, so well done! I hope the same treatment is given to the Oblivion and Air adverts as they're both absolutely amazing, shame Hex's advert quality isn't good enough to perhaps even be considered it.

Rowe said:
It's such a spine chilling advert that you can't resist watching again and again, urgh, so well done! I hope the same treatment is given to the Oblivion and Air adverts as they're both absolutely amazing, shame Hex's advert quality isn't good enough to perhaps even be considered it.

The Hex ad would look incredible in HD! So dark, moody and detailed, would suit HD so well. Just a shame the quality sucks somewhat like you said. Also, I've always thought the Air advert is very misleading..."oh, is this a launched flying coaster? Oh wait..." ;)

Yes, Air's advert does essentially break the misleading rule of the advertising authorities but it would still look gorgeous in 1080!

This is by far my favourite Alton towers advert, a massive respect to those who produced it :)

Amazing find there Liam! That advert looks brilliant in HD :) I can just imagine Hex's advert in HD (one of my favourite TV ads for Towers rides).

LiamC said:
My humblest apologies if this has been posted/shown before, but I thought I would share this with people.

I stumbled across this whilst trawling YouTube and felt it should be shown. Someone has tinkered with the original '94 ad for Nemesis and uploaded it in glorious high definition and it does look quite something.

http://youtu.be/dO5cfGvLgq0

Mods, if this has been shared or a topic exists, please feel free to lock and delete :)
http://www.altontowers.com/all-time-greats/nemesis/

Alton Towers made the advert HD the other year for the 'All Time Greats' campaign :)

LewisNavex said:
The visuals (for a British advert in 1994) still amaze me. :eek:

Very true, it does look excellent even 19 years on - I wouldn't be embarrassed if that was used today.

There is no such thing as 'making something HD' unless you remaster it from an HD source - and no advert pre-2008ish would have been filmed in HD. These videos were probably upscaled, meaning the picture is bigger but there is no real improvement in clarity. That Nemesis YouTube video is in 720p anyway, not full HD. Bla bla bla

But yes, Alton Towers usually does adverts extremely well!

electricBlll said:
There is no such thing as 'making something HD' unless you remaster it from an HD source - and no advert pre-2008ish would have been filmed in HD. These videos were probably upscaled, meaning the picture is bigger but there is no real improvement in clarity. That Nemesis YouTube video is in 720p anyway, not full HD. Bla bla bla

My apologies for not being Steven Speilberg and not knowing this ::)

electricBlll said:

Now then, now then, we didn't know about that beforehand but hey, we can still dream for much higher quality media!

LewisNavex said:
The visuals (for a British advert in 1994) still amaze me. :eek:

This, a thousand times over :D

I can't believe, for an advert released in 1994, how well it's stood the test of time! When watching that video, there were a lot of things I didn't notice from when I've watched the lo-res version through the years. For example, the eye blinking and bulging around the 14-16 second mark. Loads of details in there that I had missed, it really is a fantastic advert :)

LiamC said:
My apologies for not being Steven Speilberg and not knowing this ::)
Was there really any need for that sarcasm? I wasn't being pedantic, I thought it was common knowledge to be honest, and I'm hardly an expert.

HD is just a larger picture size, it doesn't allow you to see whole images that weren't there before. I could even put that Nemesis advert in 8K resolution if I wanted, but it will forever be low-resolution if it was filmed in low resolution.

It doesn't look like they have just stretched the video though, there seems to be a decent increase in image quality.

It's the highest quality version of the advert online.

Wilsy said:
It doesn't look like they have just stretched the video though, there seems to be a decent increase in image quality.

It's the highest quality version of the advert online.
Actually they have over-stretched the image to fit the widescreen - the original advert was in 3:4 aspect ratio. In doing so they have cut off a lot of the image and actually worsened the picture quality, rendering this topic a bit pointless!

Here is the original advert that Alton Towers officially uploaded from their archives. That other YouTube account simply downloaded this video and reuploaded it in a bigger picture size just to get views! ::)

Enjoy..

I was responding to a few posts which suggested that HD was some special treatment that allows you to see things that weren't there before, which isn't true. Hope I'm not being too picky.

But yay for blinking Nemesis eyes. If only it did that in real life.

Ah, that's a bit different then. I thought when Alton Towers released the HQ version of the advert they also stretched it into Widescreen and uploaded it in HD.

Much prefer the version which you have linked to electricBlll, without parts of the video cut-off.

This supposed new version hasn't seen the image stretched even, there has simply been a mask applied to the original 4:3 image to produce a new frame that is presumably closer to the standard HD aspect ratio (this being 1.78:1). All that has actually happened is a false letterbox has been created and this has sparked a claim that it's somehow high definition - if anything, the resolution of visible image has been reduced by placing mattes over a portion of it.

It does seem like this 'HD' video is merely the one Alton posted online, and it's been fiddled about with and falsely advertised to get views.

Topic lock? :)