• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Heatwave 18th/19th July

Thameslink Rail

TS Member
Favourite Ride
The Smiler
Hi everyone
So we all know that a heatwave is coming up on Monday/Tuesday with temperatures expected to hit 39C, as this is unprecedented in the UK and the Met Office has issued a red warning, presumably bosses will be drawing up a plan on how or if they will open on those days. As well as guest safety they also need to think about staff safety as many staff members spend most of their working hours in the sunlight which should be avoided. I can see Rita, RMT and Octonauts especially being problematic as they have open stations. Queue lines are also likely to be problematic where there is limited shade, The Smiler's queueline crocodile enclosure would be particularly problematic as it's concrete and largely open.
Solutions the park could implement:
Close the park on those days, can't see that given that many people will still want to holiday
Close outdoor rides during the peak of the day and encourage people to seek shelter, extend opening into the evening.
Try opening as normal with extra precautions such as free sun cream and water for everyone, gazebos in queue lines and outdoor stations.
What would you do?

AT seems suited for this already. Plenty of places to escape direct sunlight. Some water rides to cool off with. The real danger is queues, i don't think suncream is a concern. People just need to stay hydrated, maybe some staff handing out free cool water would be a safe bet and minimal effort. I can't see why closing would be a good idea, people visit parks in California and Florida, similar situation. Do they really do anything different in these parks?

I don't think closing is necessary either, they might struggle to get staff in but they should manage. One difference between the UK and California & Florida is that our buildings are designed to keep the heat in and are very good at that. Buildings over there are designed to dissipate heat and are more likely to have air conditioning.
As for free sunscreen I have seen that at Merlin parks before, I remember it smelling like playdough but it worked.

I don't think closing is necessary either, they might struggle to get staff in but they should manage. One difference between the UK and California & Florida is that our buildings are designed to keep the heat in and are very good at that. Buildings over there are designed to dissipate heat and are more likely to have air conditioning.
A school in my area has apparently canceled a trip to Towers because of the heatwave.

Close the outdoor rides?!?
That would leave a rather limited offering!
Probably loads of breakdowns, and the usual massive queue for guest services.

Thorpe has sun cream dispensers.

It would be good if they could put up some sort of temporary cover over some of the more exposed queue lines to provide shade, can’t see it happening though.

I’d personally close for two days - were on a red warning and I just think staff and guest safety would be paramount to remain closed. I know not everyone will agree here, but it’s just my opinion and the safest thing to do. I know America copes but they are used to 35+ degrees on a constant basis. We’ve never had it touching the potential 40 it might be, I’ve not even had that in America!

EDIT: just to add to this, earlier on the weather they were saying risk of life and even risk to “the fit and healthy” as it was worded. I genuinely think just keep closed.

Alton Towers do still have sun cream dispensers, there’s one in/by Towers Trading and maybe some more around the park. Never used one myself mind.

I would be very surprised if they closed the park, but it’s possible. I wonder if they’ll be more lenient in staff uniforms? I’m not sure I’d want to be wearing black trousers in near 40 degree heat! In US parks, which are more accustomed to higher temperatures, uniforms tend to include lighter colour shorts rather than trousers.

Is Towers in the Met Office red zone or the Met Office amber zone? If amber (30-35), then they should be fairly all right, but if red (35-40), then they might struggle.
EDIT: Just checked; Towers is in the amber zone, with the Met forecasting highs of 35 on Tuesday. They might be fairly OK, then; I think the worst of the temperatures (nearing 40C) are in the South East. 35C is undoubtedly very hot, though; I do wonder whether measures might be taken.

Is Towers in the Met Office red zone or the Met Office amber zone? If amber (30-35), then they should be fairly all right, but if red (35-40), then they might struggle.
EDIT: Just checked; Towers is in the amber zone, with the Met forecasting highs of 35 on Tuesday. They might be fairly OK, then; I think the worst of the temperatures (nearing 40C) are in the South East. 35C is undoubtedly very hot, though; I do wonder whether measures might be taken.

I’d imagine that Paulton’s Park in particular is going to be absolutely scorching on Monday! Luckily though it seems to be quite shaded doesn’t it, it doesn’t have the long open cattle pen queue lines that some other parks have.

I do think they'll actually make an effort to keep cold water available and maybe even suncream. They've done similar in the past and even though I'm usually a pessimist I think they'll do so again. I can imagine they've ordered a load of extra bottles of water in to give to guests in need.

Alton is due 35c on Tuesday, into the nineties in old money, that is simply too hot to be doing theme parks in the middle of the day.
The Towers may be "fairly alright", but the humans will be wilting, badly.
The only safe place is the shade, and the park has plenty of it, but all the queues are a nightmare.
They will open however, business is business to Merlin.

Never had a problem in Florida with the temp in the mid 30's and I'm not fond of the heat either. Can't recall queuing much in unshaded areas for rides there however.

I can imagine the Smiler pit will be like descending into hell in really high temps.