• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Help! Extended essay about advances in themepark technology and how it has affected tourism.

alee298

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Colossus or Oblivion
I'm in need of some help, I'm writing an extended essay as part of my IB and it's on themeparks (obviously) and would be grateful if any of you other geeks would offer some advice of who in the industry to contact and which is the best way to go about it or if you would like to offer other help. I have a few starting points and am trying to contact Merlin to begin with.

Thanks in advance for any help given

Try Irvine Ondrey Engineering, they do control systems for rides. Including lightning rod. They're also really friendly and keen to interact with enthusiasts

I did the IB and my best advice for you would be that the key to writing a good EE is formulating a strong research question and answering this as fully as possible. Your research question has to be as unique and specific as possible. You don't really want to approach scores of business in the theme park industry and end up writing about every ride from Oblivion to Dodonpa as the essay is only 4000 words and you'll be surprised how quickly these dissipate (it might even be less than 4000, I can't remember off the top of my head).

Focus on one park, attraction or example of ride technology and investigate it thoroughly - you're not marked on quantity but instead on how exhaustively you analyse your selected area of research. Being ultra-specific may seem boring and a little limiting but it'll make your essay much stronger.

Good luck with it!

Perhaps take the VR route, EP were very easy to get in touch with and accomodating when I did something similar for my uni major project. You could also then get in touch with Figment regarding Galactica, DBGT and Kraken.