• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Hong Kong Disneyland: General Discussion

Dave

TS Founding Member
Not been much discussion on this ride:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5O9jWpS328[/youtube]

Its very much in the vein of Expedition Everest fused with Big Thunder, interestingly they seem to have taken some tips from John Wardley's criticism about the timing of Expedition Everest when designing this ride :D

Re: Big Grizzly Mountain Mine Carts - Honk Kong Disney

Wow that looks awesome! For a second I really thought it had broke haha

Superb!

Was not expecting that reversal at all!

Absolutely incredible family coaster. Put a huge smile on my face just watching it.

Honk Kong? ;)

It looks brilliant, I love the animatronics, and of course, the sudden backwards drop...

Can Paris have one in the Studios please?

Wow! That looks awesome! Love how quick it drops backwards after going up the lift. Shame that Expedition Everest had the problem of sitting on the broken piece of track whilst the switch track kicked in, but this just shows that Disney are constantly striving for perfection!

:)

To quote myself:

First POV of Hong Kong Disneyland's "Big Grizzly" project, the upgraded 21ˢᵗ century Big Thunder Mountain, basically. The first half looks so identical to the classic Vekoma/BTM trademark of lifthill-helix-helix-lifthill-helix-helix that you might get déjà vu. But then suddenly - shock! - it all goes a bit Th13teen with a backwards launch followed by some serious slaloming. I feared and presumed this would be BTM on-the-cheap for a park done on-the-cheap, but it really looks like an improvement and extension on a time-honoured formula!

I'm afraid, apart from the final launch, it doesn't look as thrilling by day.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/_r2CEowSi6M[/youtube]

Screamscape said:
???? - New Hotel(s) - Planned - (11/9/12) According to this news report the rumors about Hong Kong Disneyland’s plans to try and add more hotels are true. In fact, they may be looking a a long term masterplan to add as many as three new hotels to the resort over the next decade. The news comes with new rumors claiming that the park may actually post its first profit this year as well.
While the article does not mention this, I had also heard rumors that a Downtown Disney style area may also be pitched to link up the hotels with the park, as well as any future expansion planned to open in the years to come.

Here's the article if you're interested. :)

Big news!

Screamscape said:
2016/2017 - Marvel Land - In Development - (2/28/13) It’s official… according to China editon of the Wall Street Journal, the Financial Secretary of Hong Kong told commented that Hong Kong Disneyland will next open a new nighttime parade AND build a new area themed to “Marvel heroes” that will be “the first of its kind in the world.”

Full article here, doesn't tell you much else though. :)

Re: Big Grizzly Mountain Mine Carts & Mystic Manor - Hong Kong Disney

Not sure how this has so far gone un-posted. It would appear that Hong Kong Disneyland have now soft launched their next major project, following Big Grizzly, Mystic Manor as part of the new themed area Mystic Point, due to fully open on May 17th.

The ride is one of Disney's revolutionary LPS Trackless Dark ride systems, where the cars basically run on a local based Sat-Nav, and is Hong Kongs answer to the Haunted Mansion/Phantom Manor series.

*SPOILERS*

The ride follows the story of explorer Lord Henry Mystic and his pet Monkey Albert, following a pre show explaining the lords adventures and artifacts, in-particular a recently acquired enchanted music box, guests move on to experience a tour of the house. However, during the tour, Albert opens the music box releasing the curse, bringing all the objects in the house to life!

To achieve the effect of the curse spreading over the house, very clever use of what appears to be projection mapping onto Disney's trademark animatronics is implemented. And I have to say, the outcome is nothing short of incredible, seriously jaw dropping stuff!

The ride also features a soundtrack by Danny Elfman, which I feel suits it perfectly, as it is a much less sinister ride than the other Mansions.

All of this can be seen in the POV embedded below, that is if you really want to spoil it for yourself! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kEApcS_kVqM

All I can say is, seriously... WOW. This has made me so excited for Ratatouille now, seeing as it's the same ride system and will likely make use of the same technology! I actually can't wait! :D

Well now, that is interesting. Even from a POV, there's no doubt that it is an amazing technological feat. It would be interesting to see how good all that projection looks to the eye.
The plot seems rather uninspired to me though. Hardly a replacement for a "spooky" ride like Haunted Mansion. It reminds me of Hocus Pocus Hall, and that's not a good thing. :/
But it's clearly going to be better than rides like Spiderman / Transformers that simply move you past endless flat screens.

I've just watched the POV, it is quite simply stunning! Some of the effects are mind blowing, not something I'd expect to see in a theme park ride. It is usually hard to tell what dark rides are like from POVs but the video does make it look amazing.

If Ratatouille is anything like this then I can't wait for next year!

:)

Best Disney dark ride since Tower of Terror...

It looks gorgeous, and I damn hope they sell a cuddly version of the monkey character, cos he's adorable <3

I WANT ALBERT! NOW! Plus a copy of that Elfman soundtrack <3 I don't find the exterior of the building as instantly recognisable as a haunted attraction as Phantom Manor, but certainly offers more on the inside than out! I feel this ride will go down as legendary in China as, even though Hong Kong Disney is still a bit meh compared to its international siblings, in China it's the best thing going. Sure the story's not inspiring, but at least most people will understand it, regardless of what language they speak, unlike Phantom Manor where various different stories are out and about (even Baxter has his own interpretation).

Brilliant special effects and timing with actions used, I particularly enjoy the animatronic bolt thrower...or whatever name you'd like to give it. Unsure if it's the best dark ride in the world (I'm sure there are pov's I have not yet seen), but in my mind is the best 'haunted' dark ride out there...as long as Tower of Terror isn't included ;)

Whilst it is an outstanding 'tech-demo' of the effects and ride system the storyline .etc of the ride could be improved, it just felt like a bit of a mish mash, put this stuff on Paris/WDW haunted mansion and YES!

Mice Chat have an article on the back story of Mystic Manor, if anyone is interested (stupid question? :p ).

I have to say, the ride does seem a bit good and videos of dark rides rarely do any kind of dark ride justice, so if it's that good on-screen, experiencing it in real life must be incredible!