• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Horses for (main) courses

BigT

TS Member
I was hoping someone would have started this topic today as its something I know a lot about, but I guess I'll have to start it.

So what do we think of the news that Tesco have been supplying burgers with horse in them.
Personally I don't care as cows and horses taste about the same anyway but I'm surprised as every slaughter house in the UK has a vet on site and you would like to think they could tell the difference.

The meat industry often gets a bad press and that's normally because in my opinion most of the people that work in media are veggie lefties.

Feel free to discuss.

Re: Horse Burgers

I'm sure this has been quietly trotting on in the meat industry for years. Although it's an unpalatable tail, the mane point is that it isn't dangerous to humans.

I think, if you buy cheap processed meat, you shouldn't be surprised about what it can contain. Not that that's to say it's correct - the ingredients should be accurately listed.

A lot of my family are farmers so I know a little bit about the process as far as I under stand abattoirs that are licensed to slaughter cattle can also slaughter horses. I would much rather horse meat than connecting tissue any day

Meat is meat. By the time it's turned in to a cheap burger it could be cat meat and who would know the difference?

Can't see the problem, people eat worse in other country's, surprised it isn't Asda they are always cheaper

BigT said:
Most of the people that work in media are veggie lefties.

Amazing. Perhaps it's really because of incidents like this (you may find it distressing, but it's an interesting insight into abattoir practices).

With regards to the topic - I don't see how there is any reason to not eat horses when cows, sheep and pigs are systematically slaughtered in the billions every year. Then again, I don't really get why people are so shy of eating dog or cat. If it tastes good and has a stable supply, why not?

Trust Tesco to be stirruping up trouble.

But seriously, this is vile and makes me feel ill. As a provider, the GP put their trust into Tesco and the likes and it sickens me to find that they abuse this for profit. Exaggerating price-checks is one thing, selling Red Rum-flavour burgers without listing it as such is another.

Good call about the on site vets, though. They're just as bad in all of this.

Horse? I'd eat that even if you told me it was horse and you made me pick which one I wanted.

Then again it might just be me (If you asked me to eat cat I would do) so maybe I am bit twisted?

If it wasn't poisonous, endangered (except pandas, which deserve it) or disgusting, I'd probably eat if the situation arrised.

Horse consumption is popular in many countries, including France. I have eaten on several occasions, and enjoyed it.

I don't think it's good that it was found in burgers, though!

I agree with Dan, it's eaten in other countries but with consent.

There is no way we should stand for this, or it should be passively accepted.

Unfortunately this is how things can be nowadays, most people don't know Kit-Kats contain meat derivatives by proxy, or that Smarties contain crushed up insect guts. Nice eh lol?

That being said, I just mullered a Chunky!
;D

I'm not even going to check out how this happened though, having people involved in fighting the Dog Meat trade in Asia, it starts to put you off meat.

If you have extremely strong stomachs you can look into Soi Dog Phuket. I don't think in the 21st century we should really be having this happen, about time we grew up as a species now isn't it?

The thing is if you put a beef, horse and kangaroo burger in front of most people and did a taste test, I think most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
After doing a bit of reading up tonight they said they found DNA traces in the burgers, my guess is this is from the added fat which is usually brought in.

I've worked in the food industry for 15 years now and have been inside nearly every slaughterhouse in the uk and can honestly say I've never seen an animal mistreated.
I'm not sure where that Video was taken a few posts back, it may not of even been the UK but if it was it was a tiny backstreet slaughterhouse because normally they slaughter about 10 pigs a minute in an industrial slaughterhouse and the larger ones use gas stunning so there is no contact.

Anyway its out of date as virtually every slaughterhouse now has CCTV to cover themselves.

And Blaze - don't believe everything your butcher tells you, the little shops and farmers markets have been up to this for years, your more likely to get a genuine beef burger from Tesco due to volumes produced, the manufactor just doesn't get time to mess with it.
It would truly astonish you if I told you the volumes these guys produce.

So where is the safest place to buy from BigT?

With that amount of experience I will listen to what you have to say for sure!

I guess the question is, where do you buy from - I'll go there lol!

;D