• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Hotel Entertainment Discussion

djtruefitt

TS Team
Team Edit: These posts were split from the Scarefest topic as they are more to do with general hotel entertainment and not necessarily Scarefest. Please continue discussion here :)

James said:
I'm really disappointed with ATH's evening entertainment. I'm really sorry about those two girls, but their singing was awful. I've heard better in cheap holiday parks. In fact I'm seen better shows in cheap holiday parks. Bring back the band for gods sake! Or find good singers and create something more exciting. The same show every night isn't good either, at least have two show nights in place for guests who stay longer. Splash's evening entertainment however was good.

It's always been the case in ATH that if you stay two nights you often get the same singer singing the same songs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in Dragon Bar when the singers were on it ATH and my lord the singing was dreadful! You'd think Alton Towers might be able to get in something slightly better.

:)

I'm really disappointed with ATH's evening entertainment. I'm really sorry about those two girls, but their singing was awful. I've heard better in cheap holiday parks. In fact I'm seen better shows in cheap holiday parks. Bring back the band for gods sake! Or find good singers and create something more exciting. The same show every night isn't good either, at least have two show nights in place for guests who stay longer. Splash's evening entertainment however was good.

I couldn't agree more. The entertainment in ATH since those two girls started has been dire. And if your staying more than 1 night, as many guests do, you'll also find it very repetitive. Infact they were singing the same songs over scarefest as they were when I visited in the summer. I will bet that this week during fireworks it will be the same songs. Then, when they stop singing, theres not even any background music, its just silence. Hardly encourages you to stop and have a drink with friends.

Splash on the otherhand has now got so busy its almost impossible to find a seat in the evenings! I hear that the takings in the ATH bar are down considerably this year, whilst there are through the roof in Splash.

Splash on the otherhand has now got so busy its almost impossible to find a seat in the evenings! I hear that the takings in the ATH bar are down considerably this year, whilst there are through the roof in Splash.
What is the entertainment in splash?

At least splash has entertainment now, a few years back it was pirate bill followed by loud music all night, they do now have singers and stuff. The problem with splash is that's it's far too small for the amount of people who stay over (probably made far worse since EV opened with no bar or entertainment venue) and it's very badly designed.

You would have thought after ATH they would have designed the splash bar better with a good stage and such, but no they have a tiny stage in the middle of the room that faces a wall.

Splash Landings was never designed to have a small stage shoehorned in and host live shows... I like that they do have something in there now, but it's just not made for that kind of thing!

They really missed a trick with the Enchanted Village on not building a new entertainments building/area.

I think they were on the right path with using the conference centre for live entertainment. Why not build on that again? But advertise it more to ensure it's a success!

I seriously think bringing the band back will be a good step forwards. Whoever decided to get rid of them needs their heads checked.

Then, when they stop singing, theres not even any background music, its just silence. Hardly encourages you to stop and have a drink with friends.

Yeah that's another problem. I walked from Splash at 10:30pm on Saturday (loud music, packed, great atmosphere) to ATH where there was no music and half the guests that were watching the 'entertainment' beforehand had left. Really sad to see. All they need is some quiet music playing, doesn't need to be really loud, just loud enough to give the place some life and keep people in wanting to drink.

No wonder takings are down in the Dragon Bar when from 10:15-10:30pm you're made to feel like the night is over and it turns into a graveyard. It's surprising just how much playing music can change the vibe of a place.

Am I the only one who doesn't want any "entertainment" (and I use that word loosely)? The only entertainment I need is good company and a bar.

Yes. You're miserable. This is to be expected.

HEHEHE sorry . On a serious note there are likely to be others who prefer the peace and quiet, but this should be catered for in the Resort. Why can't it be arranged that there be a quiet drinking hole for adults sans entertainment, and then a dedicated "entertainment centre" similar to what they did last year (summer I think?) where evening shenanigans were focused at the Conference Centre for both hotels? There was extra restaurant capacity, and plenty of room for "meddling kids" (TM @Rob) to run around.

MaGarritas is woefully small and inadequate to cater for the amount of guests there, and as has been said, EV guests have to go somewhere with their children!

The Resort side of the operation has historically been the place for profit. I understand this year hadn't lived up to expectations, but I envisage a recovery in time. This means there really should be he extra investment in the evening offering. You have to provide a good experience to your guests to gain... And by that I mean closing your bar at 11pm in ATH, or having awful singers on who force people to leave, will not gain your guest's hard earned cash!

I think there should be at least one entertainment-less place for people like Diogoj42 and myself. I personally find 'hotel entertainment' wherever i am quite painful. especially when there is someone murdering a song you quite like. BUT to give them their dues, the towers ents are better than most but not my taste in music or magic.

The Enchanted Sheds are just crying out for a "ye olde tavern", serving real ale and mead etc. Preferably staffed by buxom wenches and [how to word this in a PC way...?] "little people".

Aside from the lewd inference, a real tavern style venue would be perfect for the lodges! Something akin in atmosphere to the Saloon at Europa Park? Some live entertainment, warmth, good food and some "proper beer".

Shame it doesn't quite do that...

I was thinking more along the lines of the classic fantasy tavern, the kind of place you visit in a game of D&D. Hence the little people. "Buxom wench" would be just one character option for the staff. Other staff could have elf ears, and the closest you'd get to "entertainment" would be a single bard with a strange stringed instrument and no amp, quietly strumming in the corner. Although maybe an impromtu chorus of "Master of the House" once a night could fit in. :p

Oh yes, and a nice open fireplace for winter.

Was there Thu, Fri nights just gone. Dire isnt the word.

Thursday, some dire singer in ATH so we headed over to Splash..... Nothing much on here just loud music and a kids disco. No singers, nothing for adults into the evening.

Friday after fireworks had food and sat in ATH. Oh what a surprise, same "sisters" and the same frickin songs, in the same frickin order as the night before, and the scarefest nights, and the nights in the summer I visited. Seriously, do they not think a "resort" they may want some variety and that people staying more than the 1 night may actually want to hear different songs, from people who can actually sing.

Only plus side really was when they stopped singing, and there was a bit of background music. However, sat comfortably in the Dragon Bar only to be told that they were closing........ at 10:30.

Alton seriously need to sort out their evening entertainment for next year. Its absolutely dire to say the least. Boring, dull, unimaginative even on event nights, nothing much for adults who want to stay up a little later and have some drinks.

I was thinking more along the lines of the classic fantasy tavern, the kind of place you visit in a game of D&D. Hence the little people. "Buxom wench" would be just one character option for the staff. Other staff could have elf ears, and the closest you'd get to "entertainment" would be a single bard with a strange stringed instrument and no amp, quietly strumming in the corner. Although maybe an impromtu chorus of "Master of the House" once a night could fit in. :p

Oh yes, and a nice open fireplace for winter.

master of the house would be far too inappropriate. this is more apt!