• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

How many of IMDB’s top 250 films have you seen?

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. On another forum, I saw a thread asking people how many of the top 250 films on IMDB they’ve watched, and I thought that might be an interesting thing to ask here. Here’s the list, for reference: https://www.imdb.com/chart/top/

So, how much of a film buff are you?

For me, I’m not really much of a film buff at all, and upon perusing the list, I’m actually even less of one than I’d previously thought… I have watched 15 of the current top 250. The distribution of those throughout the list is as follows:
  • Top 10: 0/10
  • Top 20: 1/20
  • Top 25: 2/25
  • Top 50: 5/50
  • Top 100: 8/100
  • Top 200: 13/200
  • Top 250: 15/250
For reference, the ones I’ve watched in order of how they’re ranked on the site are as follows:
  1. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980, #15 overall)
  2. Star Wars: A New Hope (1977, #25 overall)
  3. Interstellar (2014, #27 overall)
  4. Back to the Future (1985, #36 overall)
  5. The Lion King (1994, #38 overall)
  6. Wall-E (2008, #61 overall)
  7. Toy Story (1995, #81 overall)
  8. Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (1983, #83 overall)
  9. Toy Story 3 (2010, #122 overall)
  10. Up (2009, #124 overall)
  11. Pan’s Labyrinth (2006, #147 overall)
  12. Inside Out (2015, #173 overall)
  13. Finding Nemo (2003, #178 overall)
  14. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (2011, #215 overall)
  15. Monsters Inc (2001, #230 overall)
From memory, I’ll admit I’m personally surprised at the ranking of some of these, but surprisingly few of them are things that would come to mind as being among my favourite movies, although I’ll confess that I’m admittedly not a film buff, and don’t watch films on a regular basis… for one, I’m surprised that Return of the Jedi is so much lower than the other original Star Wars films. I’m not really a huge Star Wars fan, admittedly, but I actually remember ROTJ being my favourite of the original trilogy!

Last edited:
So I'm taking this to mean that you've never seen the Lord of the Rings trilogy (#7, #10 and #14). Please explain.
That is correct; I’ll admit I don’t quite know how, but I’ve just never watched them, or read the books!

I’ll admit that I’m not a huge cinema/film enthusiast myself; I honestly couldn’t tell you the last time I went to the cinema (it was definitely pre-COVID for sure, and I think it was probably a good year or two before the pandemic), and I don’t tend to look for the same things in a film that a film critic or enthusiast might.

I've Seen 96.

I find it completely inconceivable (quite shocking actually) that there are people alive who haven't seen Shawshank, Die Hard, Psycho, It's a Wonderful Life, The Shining, The Pianist, Schindlers List, The Dark Night, The Godfather or Goodfellas. I mean, you can't even turn the telly on at Christmas without accidentally watching one of them? If anyone is reading this and hasn't seen any of these, I suggest you log out of here right now and watch them IMMEDIATELY. That, or stop pulling my leg.

That said, however, I've never seen a single Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Avengers or Star Wars film all the way through. I've tried, I really have. I just don't get them? Please feel free to give me hell for this......

I've seen 29/250, which is a bit higher than I thought it may be. It's absolutely criminal that neither of the Paddington films are on there, but that's just me. :p (Seriously, though, Paddington 2 never fails to make me cry.) My most recent watch that appears on the list is Hamilton earlier this week, which was very good. Another big recent highlight was 1917 - absolute masterpiece of cinematography. It's hard to pick a favourite out of the ones I've seen, but I do have a soft spot for Pan's Labyrinth. I watched that as part of my A Level in Spanish, going into it in quite a bit of detail. Rather than sucking the fun out of it, it was quite the opposite. It made me appreciate the film a lot more. I used it as part of my A2 oral exam, and I got an A in that, so I was very happy.

From the Top 20 I've *not* seen...

12 Angry Men
Seven Samurai
Se7en
The Empire Strikes Back
Return Of The King

The only Star Wars film I've ever watched is The Phantom Menace :oops:

Have seen 85 of the 250.

My top 10 of which would be:

1. Goodfellas
2. The Good The Bad And The Ugly
3. Toy Story
4. Forest Gump
5. Silence Of The Lambs
6. Coco
7. Platoon
8. Scarface
9. Coco
10. Gladiator

From the Top 20 I've *not* seen...

12 Angry Men
Seven Samurai
Se7en
The Empire Strikes Back
Return Of The King

The only Star Wars film I've ever watched is The Phantom Menace :oops:

Have seen 85 of the 250.

My top 10 of which would be:

1. Goodfellas
2. The Good The Bad And The Ugly
3. Toy Story
4. Forest Gump
5. Silence Of The Lambs
6. Coco
7. Platoon
8. Scarface
9. Coco
10. Gladiator
Coco twice? Excellent movie by the way

63 - a lot of filmed I’ve never heard of in there and some I’ve just not got round to watching (wolf of Wall Street being one!)

I consider myself a pretty big Movie fan as I genuinely despise TV shows (with the odd exceptions). I have seen 109 on that list and some of them multiple times I may add.

I make it around 59 that I’m aware of actually sitting down and watching in their entirety at some point.

A few of my favourites on the list though including Silence of The Lambs, The Shining, Psycho and Raiders.

10 highest rated I’ve seen
  1. Shawshank
  2. Dark Knight (an excellent film even if you’re not massively into the whole comic heroes genre)
  3. Schindler’s Lift List
  4. LOTR: Return of The King
  5. Pulp Fiction
  6. LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring
  7. Forrest Gump
  8. Inception
  9. LOTR: The Two Towers
  10. Star Wars: Episode V

I’ve seen bits of the Godfather films but I’m somewhat ashamed to admit I’ve never watched any of them from start to finish.

LOTR isn’t really my thing either, but it’s one of those series I feel like you can’t not watch.