• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

How would you label Alton's dark attractions?

Rowe

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Matterhorn Blitz (with an Aperol Spritz!)
Considering how Sub-Terra has been named an experience rather than a dark ride, I'm beginning to question the validity of the ride type for the attractions at Alton Towers.

Whilst I realise Hex is referred to as a dark ride, I find it strange that only the Vault section of the attraction is made well known rather than the walk through section that builds up to the inevitable Madhouse which honestly can't be ignored. And much like Sub-Terra it consists of a theatrical experience than being a whole ride and uses the ruins history to concoct the story we know. Surely our stance as the audience rather than the riders constitutes as an experience?

The same goes for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Whilst it does consist of a boat and lift, couldn't it be said that it isn't a pure dark ride as well since there are three rooms that split both rides for the 'factory' feel?

In honesty I would label all three dark hybrids because they are a combination of walk through and enclosed ride with the individual stories being the prominent drive behind the attractions rather than the drop towers, Madhouse and Mack boats themselves; they merely assist in the story as devices.

Well Hex and Sub-Terra I would both label as experiences. In neither I feel the ride itself isn't the main focus of the ride, but rather a component in telling and continuing the story. Would Hex be as effective in telling the story of the curse without the Madhouse? Or Sub-Terra create the emotions and sensation it does that the monster is out of control without the drops? I'd say no.

Charlie on the other hand I would group with Duel as a ride. While both do have small walkthrough areas the main ride transit system itself is more the focus of the ride. I don't think either would work as pure walkthrough attractions. Charlie also has the lifts tacked onto the end. These are the bits I would call an experience though, as like Sub-Terra and Hex the ride element is just used as a way to further the storytelling of the ride.

So all in all:

- Hex - Experience
- Sub-Terra - Experience
- Charlie - Bit of both

:p

Mm, I see what you mean with regards to Charlie being more of a ride due to the transit system and lifts than an overall experience so maybe I was a little hasty in saying it's a hybrid.

The thing is though, a lot of dark rides could be classed as hybrid types or 'experiences' - so therefore does that define the genre of the ride as not just a ride in the dark, but a ride which creates a deeper experience?

However, as I write this I'm thinking about 'classics' such as Pirates of the Caribbean which are simply a ride and don't offer the extra bits which you class as an experience... Despite this though, the ride itself becomes an experience because it is a dark ride!

This post is starting to make very little sense to me now :p but the point I am trying to get across is that all dark rides tend to become an experience because of the fact that they are enclosed and thus the experience factor is part of the definition of the dark ride genre.

... My goodness this is confusing, Scott! :p

But no, I get what you mean. Just. All dark attractions can be considered an experience since the story premise for most is "What you explored X?" or "What if this house was haunted?" however a degree of dark attractions are mainly you floating between scenes like with Duel since there is no direct storyline or at least no kind of closure on what's happening past the zombies

It's the ones that involve the audience directly, i.e. Sub Terra or ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter, using walkthroughs and the respective ride as low key devices that would be considered dark experiences rather than dark rides per se.

It's a tricky one!

I think your interpretation of what Scott's said is right Rowe. However, as you say Duel offers no closure on the situation I don't think Hex does either. I mean, the last we see if the branch in a spinning room, then we walk out :p No explanation as to what's going to happen to the vault and the branch. It just ends :p The Haunting is the same. We're in the crypt, the monster thing scares us, the coffin opens, a bat pops out, we all leave via a side door! No closure on the situation, or if the count has met his comeuppance.

Thinking about it, as tragic as it sounds, the only Madhouse I've experienced to have any sort of closure at the end is Feng Ju Palace! Shame there's no clear story the rest of the ride :p

I think a darkride where the ride is not the focus of the attraction is to be considered an experience. Space Mountain for example is a brilliant experience, but the whole focus of the attraction lies with the coaster, simulating our journey through space. Hex on the other hand tells a story through various scenes and walkthrough areas with narrative, which all directly involve the audience in the action (With the cinema probably being the exception). However, when we come to the ride itself it's a piece of bog standard ride hardware which is used as an extra effect in the story.

It really is a tricky one.

See Charlie, while the boat ride is tied in to part of the plot I would consider it to be more of a ride, as the riding on a boat through the scenes is the focus of the ride. Same with It's A Small World or Pirates of the Caribbean. While there are ties to the story the transit system is the main focal point of the ride itself.

Charlie however, changes at the end with the lifts. These are ride elements used in the same way Hex uses it's vault - to tell the story and continue the journey. Therefore I'd say it's an example of experience and ride being married together into one darkride. In theory from that it should offer something everyone can enjoy. It's just a shame parts of the boat ride and walkthroughs are so shoddy and low quality.

In conclusion, my interpretation now after considering other rides?

A darkride experience is an attraction which takes the audience and places them right in the middle of the action, taking them on a journey and involving them directly. The focus of the attraction is to tell them a story, and give them varying sensations along the way. An experience attraction is one where the ride isn't necessary to complete the attraction, but is instead used for an effect.

A darkride ride on the other hand is one where the ride aspect is the focus of the attraction, and the main feature which the attraction requires. Without it there is no attraction, and it is crucial to the success and operation of the attraction.

That's what I reckon anyway :p

Ian, I think you've hit the nail on the head there with your interpretations and yes, you've caught my theory with the dark experience in reference to Hex/The Haunting not having a complete storyline.

There isn't an awful lot more I can write than that (and I started the topic in the first place!).

Hmm, what about when the ride itself puts riders within some kind of storyline but doesn't really offer an experience per se? Space Mountain: Mission 2 puts riders on a trip into space, based off Jules Verne but the ride itself isn't really an 'experience' in the same way many other dark rides are. Ian, your descriptions are spot on, but I think that simply being a dark ride warrants the thing being an experience - particularly as any ride placed in darkness (as well as rides that are simply indoors) provide a differing experience for riders, although they may not be reliant on that experience to tell a story.